Washington Nationals name dispute?

Waffles

If the team has to be renamed before 2009, baseball would be well advised to steer clear of "Senators." "Nats" or "Grays," more like, or "Federals" or "Potomacs."

I would think "Federals" would be a sore reminder of the USFL team.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If the team has to be renamed before 2009, baseball would be well advised to steer clear of "Senators." "Nats" or "Grays," more like, or "Federals" or "Potomacs."

Hmmm good point...Federals-associated with onfield incompetence and failure

Senators-associated with onfield incompetence and failure-->both bad.

How 'bout Washington Americans-its not entirely accurate (given a quick scan of their roster), not enitirely PC in today's world, which means its perfect for sports team playing in the home of the Redskins and Bullets (once)

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

How 'bout Washington Americans-its not entirely accurate (given a quick scan of their roster), not enitirely PC in today's world, which means its perfect for sports team playing in the home of the Redskins and Bullets (once)

How is Washington Americans not P.C.? It would be no different from the Montreal Canadiens.

WYOMING

Estimated Population (2004): 506,529

US Senators: 2

Voting US Representatives: 1

DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA

Estimated Population (2004): 553,523

US Senators: 0

Voting US Representatives: 0

Washington residents are forgetting one thing. Washington DC is a FEDERAL district, meaning it is governed completely by the federal government. It was set up that way so no state could claim the national capital as it's own.

There is a reason things are the way they are, it would be nice if they would stop complaining and read their US History book...

No one is making them live in Washington, if they really want representation, they can move to Maryland or Virginia.

Mmm ... I detect a delicate "love-it-or-leave-it" flavor, w/ subtle undertones of "that's-the-way-it's-always-been." Delicious!

More like "learn why things are the way they are."

I do believe the Constitution says something about the members of Congress have to be from "the States." It's a nice little document, people should read it.

To exercise exclusive Legislation in all Cases whatsoever, over such District (not exceeding ten Miles square) as may, by Cession of particular States, and the Acceptance of Congress, become the Seat of the Government of the United States

US Constitution

Sorry if I'm sounding like a prick, but it really pisses me off when people complain about the government without knowing a thing about it's structure and the reasoning for it.

I once had a car but I crashed it. I once had a guitar but I smashed it. I once, wait where am I going with this?

How is Washington Americans not P.C.? It would be no different from the Montreal Canadiens.

I was thinking in terms of how most of the world seems to not like us anymore.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

WYOMING

DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA

Washington residents are forgetting one thing. Washington DC is a FEDERAL district, meaning it is governed completely by the federal government. It was set up that way so no state could claim the national capital as it's own.

There is a reason things are the way they are, it would be nice if they would stop complaining and read their US History book...

No one is making them live in Washington, if they really want representation, they can move to Maryland or Virginia.

Mmm ... I detect a delicate "love-it-or-leave-it" flavor, w/ subtle undertones of "that's-the-way-it's-always-been." Delicious!

I do believe the Constitution says something about the members of Congress have to be from "the States." It's a nice little document, people should read it.

To exercise exclusive Legislation in all Cases whatsoever, over such District (not exceeding ten Miles square) as may, by Cession of particular States, and the Acceptance of Congress, become the Seat of the Government of the United States

US Constitution

Sorry if I'm sounding like a prick, but it really pisses me off when people complain about the government without knowing a thing about it's structure and the reasoning for it.

You know what pisses me off? Smug condescension. It's cool to be smart. It's not cool to assume other people are dumb. Spare me the :censored: ing pedantry.

Yes, newbie, I recognize that adding Senators and a voting House member for the District of Columbia would require either (i) a constitutional amendment, like the one that allowed residents of DC to vote for President; or (ii) the admission of DC as a state.

My point is that you've got 500,000+ American citizens w/o meaningful representation in Congress. While I understand the arguments for putting the capital in a federal district as opposed to a state, I think that the arguments for granting representation to those 500,000+ are more compelling.

The trouble w/ treating people like they're stupid is that you're apt to make an ass of yourself. The people w/ the most to crow about are generally the least likely to do it. Because there's always someone w/ better credentials than you have. People that make a big deal about how smart they are get cut down to size pretty quickly.

WYOMING

DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA

US Constitution

You made a salient point, but it is possible to make points without sounding selfimportant or condescending. And the condescending attitude definitely goes both ways. Just because a person's post count doesn't have a comma in it doesn't mean their opinions are any more or less valuable.

starpoint.pngclippers.pngbullsnew.gif

But preemptive? That seems harsh.

However, Bygone Sports will claim that their efforts were not a preemptive strike against the modern Washington Nationals of the National League. Rather, they will say that they were simply seeking copyright protection of the brand in order to produce merchandise referencing the Washington Nationals squad which played in the defunct Union Association in 1884.

WYOMING

DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA

US Constitution

You know what pisses me off? Smug condescension. It's cool to be smart. It's not cool to assume other people are dumb. Spare me the :censored: ing pedantry.

Yes, newbie, I recognize that adding Senators and a voting House member for the District of Columbia would require either (i) a constitutional amendment, like the one that allowed residents of DC to vote for President; or (ii) the admission of DC as a state.

My point is that you've got 500,000+ American citizens w/o meaningful representation in Congress. While I understand the arguments for putting the capital in a federal district as opposed to a state, I think that the arguments for granting representation to those 500,000+ are more compelling.

The trouble w/ treating people like they're stupid is that you're apt to make an ass of yourself. The people w/ the most to crow about are generally the least likely to do it. Because there's always someone w/ better credentials than you have. People that make a big deal about how smart they are get cut down to size pretty quickly.

And I was just pointing out the reason why they don't. And I'm sorry if you think I was treating you like you were stupid. You might know, but if you asked how many people why is it that residents in Washington DC can't have senators, how many to you think would have any clue why, let alone that Washington doesn't have senators?

And if it makes you feel any better, I had to look it up to make sure that it was in the constitution. I don't like to make statements less I can back it up. And I'm sorry if you think I sounded like a smartass, but I do study political science, so I do know something about the subject.

That's all I'm going to say, and if you still have a problem, then I'm sorry but I'm not going to dwell on it anymore.

I once had a car but I crashed it. I once had a guitar but I smashed it. I once, wait where am I going with this?

Bring this up anywhere around here and you'll be argueing for hours...In the meantime, I'll read BallWonk's website, it makes me laugh.

Thanks, but we just declared an Angry Rivalry with Cincy. Not only do we have your cast-off GM ruining our club, now we have some Cincy-based intellectual-property squatters trying to steal our name. Hands off the Nats, Cincy! Freakin' Commies.

BTW, regarding the question of squatting, the timing of the whole thing is pretty damning. In winter 2001-2002, MLB tried to contract the Twins and Expos. The combined forces of mom, apple pie, the American flag, and the best lawyers in Hennepin County managed to turn back the forces of evil, so contraction was stopped. By the time Bygone Sports applied for a trademark on the name "Washington Nationals" in September 2002, several facts were known to pretty much everyone in North America: 1. MLB would relocate the Expos; 2. Washington was the most likely destination; and 3. Several of the non-Washington relocation options still called for a temporary stay in DC, if only to get out of Montreal.

But in its legal filings, Bygone has essentially argued, "Well, gosh, we never expected an actual baseball team to have any interest in using the name Washington Nationals. Heavens, what an unexpected coincidence! How could we possibly have known?"

20082614447.png

The name Washington Americans was suggested, which I have discovered fits perfectly into the current Nationals logo. Interesting...

was_americans.gif

the thing i never understood about the argument that dc has no senator, is why does it matter. the city is swimming with senators. its a mascot...any vikings in minnesota? its not specific to representation...im always annoyed that every time this discussion comes up, someone pulls that argument out of their starfish.

I agree that "The District" deserves at least SOME representation in congress. I don't believe it should be a state and I don't believe it should be part of a state NOR do I believe that there should be any constitutional amendment made to allow them senators. Still, the American Citizens living in that district deserve representation in government.

Isn't this one of the reasons we went to war with Britain in the first place? We had no representation in parliament and they just kept hiking up the taxes and tariffs? Did they really think we would be willing to pay our fair share for the protection they were providing? I don't think so.

I smell war, boys! Can the Washington militia defeat the US Armed Forces? When was the last time citizens grouped up and took on a country's military in it's own (their own) national capital? *smirk*.

:P:D All in fun.

-Daniel
Check Out My Podcast! Latest Episode 273: The Color Blinky
Latest Photo Upload: January 7, 2012

Bring this up anywhere around here and you'll be argueing for hours...In the meantime, I'll read BallWonk's website, it makes me laugh.

Thanks, but we just declared an Angry Rivalry with Cincy. Not only do we have your cast-off GM ruining our club, now we have some Cincy-based intellectual-property squatters trying to steal our name. Hands off the Nats, Cincy! Freakin' Commies.

BTW, regarding the question of squatting, the timing of the whole thing is pretty damning. In winter 2001-2002, MLB tried to contract the Twins and Expos. The combined forces of mom, apple pie, the American flag, and the best lawyers in Hennepin County managed to turn back the forces of evil, so contraction was stopped. By the time Bygone Sports applied for a trademark on the name "Washington Nationals" in September 2002, several facts were known to pretty much everyone in North America: 1. MLB would relocate the Expos; 2. Washington was the most likely destination; and 3. Several of the non-Washington relocation options still called for a temporary stay in DC, if only to get out of Montreal.

But in its legal filings, Bygone has essentially argued, "Well, gosh, we never expected an actual baseball team to have any interest in using the name Washington Nationals. Heavens, what an unexpected coincidence! How could we possibly have known?"

I think it might be believable because at that time I think everyone thought such a team would be called the Senators.

I smell war, boys! Can the Washington militia defeat the US Armed Forces? When was the last time citizens grouped up and took on a country's military in it's own (their own) national capital? *smirk*.

All in fun.

You have to be careful with what you say! The Bush Administration and the Patriot Act could be reading this and throw you into a tourture camp in Abu Ghraib. Remember they hear and see all.

:P

kom22

Archived