Canadian NHL Teams

Shmee

How is it that in the NHL, there are currently three teams whose names pretty much all mean the same thing?

There's the Montreal Canadiens... the Montreal Canadians.

There's the Vancouver Canucks... the Vancouver Canadians.

There's the Toronto Maple Leafs... the Toronto National Symbols of Canada.

I'm all for national pride, but when half of your country's team's all do it, isn't it going overboard a bit?

Also, before they moved, the Quebec Nordiques name, translated to English, was pretty much the Quebec Northerners.

Since the Calgary Flames are transplanted from Atlanta where the name actually meant something, I ask: Why are the Oilers and Senators the only Canadian NHL teams whose names reflect their cities more than their country?

If there's a difference between the three names that maybe I'm just missing, could somebody please help me understand it?

sticksstones4.png

The world's foremost practitioners of professional tag-team wrestling.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Montreal Canadiens: Canadiens are French Canadians.

Toronto Maple Leafs: When Conn Smyth bought the Toronto St. Pats, he wanted to give them a patriotic name.

Vancouver Canucks: You've got a point there, there is no praticular reason to use the name Cauncks. Still, it works.

We happen to be a very Patriotic nation. Let us name our teams what we want.

Calgary Flames-see oil industry.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

How is it that in the NHL, there are currently three teams whose names pretty much all mean the same thing?

There's the Montreal Canadiens... the Montreal Canadians.

There's the Vancouver Canucks... the Vancouver Canadians.

There's the Toronto Maple Leafs... the Toronto National Symbols of Canada.

I'm all for national pride, but when half of your country's team's all do it, isn't it going overboard a bit?

Also, before they moved, the Quebec Nordiques name, translated to English, was pretty much the Quebec Northerners.

Since the Calgary Flames are transplanted from Atlanta where the name actually meant something, I ask: Why are the Oilers and Senators the only Canadian NHL teams whose names reflect their cities more than their country?

If there's a difference between the three names that maybe I'm just missing, could somebody please help me understand it?

Wow, I never knew we had Senators in Ottawa, oh wait, its in Canada, different government system... gotta love Billy Graham, my Member of Parliament!! Oh yea, its also not ancient Rome...

It doesn't really matter that the Canucks, Leafs and Canadians are similar, who cares if it promotes nationalism. If you wanted to be picky, why not argue that the Sabers, Ducks, Panthers, Sharks, Coyotes and Penguins are too similar because they are all named after animals you can find in zoos around America.

I don't care that 3 of our 6 teams have similar names, the Leafs, Canadians and Canucks help reenforce the Canadian hockey presence south of the border.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

Toronto Maple Leafs: When Conn Smyth bought the Toronto St. Pats, he wanted to give them a patriotic name.

Vancouver Canucks: You've got a point there, there is no praticular reason to use the name Cauncks. Still, it works.

You know it, nothing wrong with patriotism, I mean, if you are so upset about this, DON'T get me started on "God Bless America" being sung during baseball games, and the Columbus "Blue Jackets"! ^_^

Oh yea, the New England Patriots...

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

There's the Montreal Canadiens...

When in case of Québec's seccession, how should be the name of the Montréal NHL team? Montréal Québéquoises?

And its logo?!?! :wacko:

BTW, I really appreciate Canada and I hope that Québec won't secede itself from Canada. :flagcanada:

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

It doesn't really matter that the Canucks, Leafs and Canadians are similar, who cares if it promotes nationalism. If you wanted to be picky, why not argue that the Sabers, Ducks, Panthers, Sharks, Coyotes and Penguins are too similar because they are all named after animals you can find in zoos around America.

I don't care that 3 of our 6 teams have similar names, the Leafs, Canadians and Canucks help reenforce the Canadian hockey presence south of the border.

They keep big swords in your zoos?

Oh wait, I get it. You're confused with every team in Buffalo somehow feeling that its logo MUST include a Buffalo of some sort.

Every team, that is, except for the Buffalo Braves and the Buffalo Wings! (groan...)

BUF-W_1431.gif

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

They keep big swords in your zoos?

Oh wait, I get it. You're confused with every team in Buffalo somehow feeling that its logo MUST include a Buffalo of some sort.

Every team, that is, except for the Buffalo Braves and the Buffalo Wings! (groan...)

BUF-W_1431.gif

Crud, I'm tired and didn't catch that. I was thinking Buffalo as in part of the name, not city...whoops. But either way, excluding them, you get the basic idea...

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Go Leafs Go!

Also, two of those three teams were named back in the old days of hockey, when creativity wasn't where it is today.

And it's better than a lot of the baseball (and even basketball) teams that were named in the olden days. Don't see many teams today named after laundry!

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

You know it, nothing wrong with patriotism, I mean, if you are so upset about this, DON'T get me started on "God Bless America" being sung during baseball games, and the Columbus "Blue Jackets"! ^_^

Oh yea, the New England Patriots...

I love my country, but I :censored: hate "God Bless America." Sorry, but I really needed to get that off my chest. "The Star-Spangled Banner" is the national anthem and I will always honor it. "God Bless America" is sappy drivel that can't hold the former's C flat, doesn't deserve to be treated like the anthem, and only reminds me of that bastard bin Laden and his fostering of religious extremism. :evil:

that's for another part of the boards, but I had to say it.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

"The Star-Spangled Banner" is the national anthem and I will always honor it. "God Bless America" is sappy drivel that can't hold the former's C flat, doesn't deserve to be treated like the anthem, and only reminds me of that bastard bin Laden and his fostering of religious extremism. :evil:

that's for another part of the boards, but I had to say it.

Tell that to a true Philadelphia Flyers fan. For us (disregard my Whalers avatar, in honor of my wife) the song means an awful lot, irrespective of your rant. Go to the Flyers website and you can read the whole story:

http://www.philadelphiaflyers.com/history/katesmith.asp

Last time played at a game (to my knowledge) Game 6 of the Eastern Conference Finals vs Tampa Bay. I was there, and if you were, the song would probably have new meaning to you.

Bring back the Whale!

This argument doesn't have a leg to stand on.

Care to explain why not?

They just kept the name Flames from the Atlanta franchise, taken from the burning of Atlanta during the Civil War. It doesn't have anything to do with the Alberta oil industry.

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

Care to explain why not?

They just kept the name Flames from the Atlanta franchise, taken from the burning of Atlanta during the Civil War. It doesn't have anything to do with the Alberta oil industry.

The Washington White Wash would be a WICKED name if the Capitals ever change their name. It would represent how the White House got its name from the White House being burned down by us!!!!

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Go Leafs Go!

Care to explain why not?

Yes they kept the name, and it was originally a Civil War reference, but they kept the name because it fit Calgary as well, and in a fan poll the fans preferred Flames.

Just because a name was picked for one city and fits that city doesn't mean it won't work for another city for a different reason.

This isn't a Utah Jazz or LA Lakers type of deal.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Care to explain why not?

The Washington White Wash would be a WICKED name if the Capitals ever change their name. It would represent how the White House got its name from the White House being burned down by us!!!!

Canada was it's own country back in 1812?

Archived