Top markets that could support more pro sports

marlinfan

• 2 weeks later...
Is everyone here in favor of expansion? It seems to me the play in the NFL and MLB is pretty much diluted and could use a couple of teams to fold to get rid of the bubble players. The NBA and NHL don't have the dilution problem as much with the stream of European players coming in, but they could easily find themselves in the same position if they started letting more players in the league through expansion. Is it better to have a quality league with fewer teams or a larger less-quality league with more regional teams to root for? I prefer quality over quantity.

I don't think the NFL will be expanding anytime soon. They've already got a perfect amount of teams and quality players.

I can see MLB expanding with 2 more teams, and dividing into divisions like the NFL has, and evening the competition level, at least in terms of interleague play, as well as putting an emphasis on division foes with 19-20 games against each team in your division. I say MLB expands in 10 years.

I think the NHL is set, too. Not only does the league got some financial strings to tie up, it has a balanced number of teams per division. The league could stand to change it's scheduling policy, though.

The NBA has always seemed to be the most unstable of the 4, as far as team movement is concerned. After all, Charlotte had one team move, only to get an expansion team a season or two later. I can see the NBA expanding with 2 more teams, and making 4-team divisions like the NFL. If the Hornets do end up staying in New Orleans, the NBA would be quick to hop on getting a team to Oklahoma City, as well as starting up in other markets such as Kansas City, St. Louis, Las Vegas, Cincinnati, or Buffalo.

I'm all for baseball going to 32, as long as people understand you can't get rid of the wild card. Just have two six-team Centrals. CLEARLY IT IS IMPORTANT TO HAVE A WILD CARD.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I'm all for baseball going to 32, as long as people understand you can't get rid of the wild card. Just have two six-team Centrals. CLEARLY IT IS IMPORTANT TO HAVE A WILD CARD.

Why is it important to reward teams for having a bad month or two? Just having the 4 division winners getting births is fine with me. Think of the benefits-the Boston/New York media machine only gets one spot, so we don't have to listen to it throughout the playoffs. Seriously-if you are going to only let in 8 teams out of 32, its best if you go to 4 divisions per league. Now if you want to talk about playoff expansion...

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

There's a right way to do the Wild Card and a wrong way to do it.

The right way, in my mind, would be to allow two wild card teams per league and make them play off against each other in a best of 3, right before a matchup with the best team (best team has home advantage in 5 of 7 games)

LvZYtbZ.png

I don't think Milwaukee could support a hockey team, but I think the city could well support MLS. Soccer has a lot of support there in the community, and that's a market that can't be tapped by any other sport.

That's been bantered about for about five years now (it was sort of an inspiration for my thesis project), I'll believe it when I see it. I'm hoping it goes through, because if it does, that means UW-Milwaukee has a better shot of getting football in the near future.

QPR%20Sig.png

I wonder if Milwaukee was seen as "overextended" because they counted it as part of the Packers' market (the Packers still sell some of their season ticket packages down there).

139775815_cc7da57bca_o.jpg

Well it seems with all this talk about baseball going to 32 teams the time is right that I share my plan to fix baseballs scheduling problem. I worked on this three weeks in a row while falling asleep in my grad school child development class.

First the divisions: Expansion teams in bold

National League:

East - Phil, Wash, NYM, Pit

North - StL, Mil, ChC, Cin

South - Atl, Hou, Fl, Carolina

West - SD, SF, LAD, Col

American League:

East - NYY, Bos, Tor, Bal

North - ChW, Cle, Min, Det

South - Tx, TB, KC, Nashville

West - LAA, Oak, Sea, Ari

Now for the games played. First, assume that the way I have the teams ordered is also how they finished the previous season. For example, in the NL East the Phillies would have been the division winner, the Nats in 2nd, Mets 3rd, and Pirates bringing up the rear.

1) Divison rivals would play each other 18 times.

2) Teams from the same league that finished in the same place would play each other 10 times. Eg. The Pirates would play the Reds, Carolina, and the Rockies 10 times each since all four teams finished in last place.

Now it gets a bit tough to follow.

3) All of the other teams that finished with a different standing would be faced 7 times. But there is an exception to this...

4) On a rotating three year schedule an extra game will be played against the three teams in a different division that finished with a different position. Don't worry I am going to break this all down. Eg. NL East will play these games against NL North one year, NL South the next, and NL West the year after that before returning to the NL North.

5) Interleague would be a rotating four year schedule with three games against each of the teams in the divison.

OK, kind of hard to follow so here is an example. Again using the Pirates.

They would play:

18 games against each Phil, Wash, and NYM

10 games against each Cin, Car, and Col - due to all being 4th in their division the previous year

8 games against each StL, Mil, ChC - rotating 3 year schdule.

7 games against each Atl, Hou, Fl, SD, SF, and LAD

3 games against each NYY, Bos, Tor, and Bal

That brings our total number of games to 162!

Four divison winners all get into the playoffs

So does my plan make sense or has grad school just made me finally snap and I need to go out and get a life?

I would appreciate feedback!

MLB is a ways off from expanding again. First they need to resolve stadium issues in Florida, Oakland and Minneapolis. I say MLB will consider expansion again in 10-12 years. Charlotte and San Antonio/Portland assuming the Marlins don't move are markets that should be respectively large by that time. If the Marlins do move Miami is on that list. MLB isn't going to let a metropolitain area that is projected to have 6.5 million by that time stay teamless.

1997 | 2003

Archived