Big legit project-poss. paying gig

umlegend

SyPhi: Nice work on the dragon...out of curiosity what is that font? It looks really familiar. I like what you did with the color, definately a dynamic presentation. My only points of contention are the eyes (or the lack there off...no worries...the new Phoenix Coyote logo bugs me for the very same reason) the drop shadow effect in the text (at least thats what I'm assuming that it is...its kinda hard to "read" what the desired effect was meant to be) and the overall shape of the dragons head (I know I'm being a bastard on that one...it just reminds me of a snake rather than a dragon). Anyway...all in all a great design...just trying to provide some constructive criticism.

Sorry for not responding to this earlier...

Thank you for the kind and constructive comments. The eyes are something that I feel could be better as well, but when I tried different things with it, it quickly made the head look very distorted, really hurt the overall fluidity of the logo, and added to the already-overabundant (I'm not sure if this is the right word, but) eye catchers.

The red bevel-esque effect I put in because I felt that the text seemed so very flat in front of a rather depth-rich dragon. I wish we had more colours to work with so I could play around with colours to make the SC stand out more, but we don't, and thus the bevel worked the best IMO in this case.

The snake-type head is how I've always seen and imagined a dragons head (I'm thinking mostly about those Chinese parades with the long multiple-person dragon costumes)... and although those usually have a very ornamental head (much like your dragon hockeyzealot, and although it would've been ideal to be able to incorporate that, again, the busyness of the logo was a hindrance, and thus the head is rather snake-like.

Now that I've bored you all to death with my lengthy explanation, post your own feedback about any of the designs displayed in this thread. We don't want this going the way of the T-Bay Lightning project.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The swords are a little too uniform, and the handles are certainly odd looking. Apart from that, the logo requires something to act like glue and hold it all together.

My Hornets' logos have been Illustrogrified...

*Edit: Check next page or click link...

Kearsley Hornets Logo

*Edit: Check next page or click link...

Kearsley Hornets Wordmark

Suggestions, questions, criticisms, comments, and cash all welcome! (Especially regarding the wordmark... it's missing something, and I'll try to see if I can fix it tomorrow, but any suggestions would be great.)

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Tweaked my logo yet again, mainly the handles and tip of the sword. Also tried a version with the wordmark.

Copy & Paste:

Logo

Logo & Wordmark

SyPhi, that's a nice hornet, though I think a darker blue would work better. Not too sure about the wordmark, there's just something about it that I can't point out.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

SyPhi, thats great, although i agree a darker blue would be for the better. As for the wordmark i think it will look much better with the darker blue. other than that i dont see a problem with it. good stuff

9erfan, the swords are looking a lot better, but like Sy said, it still needs that "glue", but i cant pin point what you could do

Syphi, may I suggest Pantone 287C (RGB:0,56,150) and Pantone 109C (RGB: 247, 212, 23).

I included a different yellow(109C) because the helmet will have to be yellow, and the yellow you used is too bright.

Also, the logo is very vertical, which might not work well on a football helmet. I suggest fooling around with the head of the bug with a K sort-of behind it.

EDIT:  Here is a recolored jacket, an idea for a helmet, and my proposed colors.  All logos by Syphi. Jackets

Maybe a dumb question...but is there a big list of all the Pantone colors and their values somewhere in the net? (This might be something to go in the TFAQ)

I'm not sure but that might be a copyright issue, not sure though.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

SyPhi... a couple of thoughts on the Kearsley wordmark.

1) Remove the white highlight within the wordmark. IMHO, the band of white proves extremely distracting. I don't know if your intention was simply to add a highlight, to suggest the striping pattern of a hornet, or both... but, it's just not working. If you absolutely feel that they're necessary for contrast purposes, then add conventional white highlights within the body of each letter.

2) Extend and curve the tail of the "y" in Kearsley to suggest the sting of a hornet. You might even give some thought to having the tail of that letter be rendered in a yellow-blue-yellow stripe. You might also add a couple of small, blue motion lines around the end of this "sting" to graphically imply the act of stinging. This will communicate the team identity even when the Kearsley wordmark stands alone.  

Overall, a very nice concept.

Brian in Boston

I wanted to save my 600th post for my uncoming concept cornucopia, but I want to show what I've done with the Jackets. I don't know why I didn't think of this earlier, but now the bug uses two shades of yellow and I think it looks better. Also, I made the helmet blue. Finally, I included some uniforms using the Texans as a model, template from Football Uniforms Past & Present. Yeah, I know the helmet on the uniform part is kind of crappy looking, so I included a larger, clearer helmet image up top. The royal blue is Buffalo Bills royal. Once I figure out the pantone for the bright yellow I'll include it in the color part.

Jackets

49erFan--just from a practical and P.C. standpoint, I doubt a highschool would use swords with blood on them. Remove the blood and they'd be acceptable.

:):D 600 Posts :D:)

Thanks for the great idea 7200... in my recolouring, I'm using 7404 C (lighter yellow-gold), 111 C (just a shade darker than your darker yellow-gold), and 2757 C (close, if not exactly what the Rams helmet 'royal' blue was pre-2000). *Edit... those golds are waaaay too dark... I'll have to get back to you...

Brian... allow me to respectfully disagree with you, at least on the second point. To have two focal points like that would devalue the hornet's own stinger, although I may make a separate (similar) wordmark for stand-alone purposes that may incorporate that idea.

Ninerfan... yeah, the blood would have to go. I think the logo lacks glue and motion... perhaps the motion and glue could come from the sword underlining the script like in my first ever design displayed on these boards. (No time-machine necessary.)

Cleveland%20Cavaliers%20Sword%20Under%20Logo.gif

Hornets revamp coming soon!

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

See page 6 or click below...

Kearsley Hornets Logo

See page 6 or click below...

Kearsley Hornets Wordmark

Thank you for all the helpful ideas so far... Sabres7200, your idea worked out nice... and Brian, your encouragement to work on the text, while I didn't alter it radically, made me look at it more critically and achieve something I think works somewhat better.

Feedback or Eatfront!!! Comments are good!

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

@joel: That looks absolutely awesome.. I love that drawing of the hornet.. can you post a bigger version of the primary logo though?

@Syphi: That's a huge improvement to the last version.. it looks reaaaaaally really nice but personally I'd give the wings a very light colour

btw. I'm working on a chargers concept

can you post a bigger version of the primary logo though?

as requested.....

copy/paste

logo

http://www.geocities.com/jrhurst/images/kearsleylogo.jpg

uniforms

http://www.geocities.com/jrhurst/images/kearsley.jpg

helmet

http://www.geocities.com/jrhurst/images/kearsleyhelmet.jpg

as usual....feedback is requested.

Archived