Bryan Colangelo meets with Raptors

Gary

Colangelo Meets With Raptors

I'm surprised none of the Canadians here or Amare brought this up, but the Reigning Executive of the Year Brian Colangelo of the Phoenix Suns is talking to the Toronto Raptors to become their newest General Manager. I can only see two things to why he would leave. One is to get away from Robert Sarver, the second reason is to make his own legacy and overstep his father's Jerry Colangelo's shadow. But would he leave a team that is successful and his own, and would he want to work with the conversion rates of Canada?

Colangelo Meets With Raptors

I'm surprised none of the Canadians here or Amare brought this up, but the Reigning Executive of the Year Brian Colangelo of the Phoenix Suns is talking to the Toronto Raptors to become their newest General Manager. I can only see two things to why he would leave. One is to get away from Robert Sarver, the second reason is to make his own legacy and overstep his father's Jerry Colangelo's shadow. But would he leave a team that is successful and his own, and would he want to work with the conversion rates of Canada?

Seriously ... as far as I know, the Raptors pay their players and coaches in US dollars. The difference in dollar values shouldn't even be a consideration in this.

Like you say, stepping out of his dad's shadow is one thing. But I think the bigger thing, and half the reason established coaches and GMs take over rebuilding projects like this, is the challenge of building a contender out of a team like the Raptors. To me, doing that would be more of an accomplishment than taking over a successful team midstream and keeping them successful.

It would be rather shocking if Bryan Colangelo left Phoenix for Toronto, but at the same time, I can understand if it's to get away from his father's shadow, and start his own legacy. Jerry Colangelo basically help bring major league sports to the state of Arizona, and built the Suns franchise from stratch in 1968. Also, the senior Colangelo was also the first GM of the Chicago Bulls in 1966 (Jerry is from Chicago, BTW).

I've been reading that Bryan Colangelo and the new majority owner, Robert Sarver, have been having some conflicts, which might make Colangelo's decision to leave Phoenix a bit more easier. After next year, Jerry Colangelo will offically retire from the day to day operations as Suns CEO and Chairman, when the sale of the Suns, WNBA Mercury, AFL Rattlers, and operating rights of the U.S. Airways Center is completed.

I don't believe Bryan Colangelo wants to leave. Rather, I think that Robert Sarver wants to install "his people" in positions throughout the organization.

BColangelo, the reigning Executive Of The Year, is among the lowest paid GMs in the league. Sarver's unwillingness to remedy that situation, either by renegotiating or extending the current deal, is perceived as a message to the GM that he is not in the longterm plans.

I think that's a shame, as BColangelo has done an awesome job building the team and working w/ Coach Mike D'Antoni.

Sarver and BColangelo are reported to have met several times over the last week, presumably to discuss the GM's future w/ the organization. I hold out hope that BColangelo will be retained and re-upped -- he's earned that.

Nothing to do know but to cross our fingers and wait.

Oh yea, Bosh is not going to leave, he already made up his mind, and said he's not struggling like all the other jack***** who were unsure. Bosh is a professional, if theres something good that Jalen Rose did for us, that is he taught the kids in Toronto to be pros, unlike a-h0!e$ like McGrady, Stoudamire, Carter, Camby, and Steve Francis in Vancouver, who wore a winter jacket in the summer.

I don't believe Bryan Colangelo wants to leave. Rather, I think that Robert Sarver wants to install "his people" in positions throughout the organization.

BColangelo, the reigning Executive Of The Year, is among the lowest paid GMs in the league. Sarver's unwillingness to remedy that situation, either by renegotiating or extending the current deal, is perceived as a message to the GM that he is not in the longterm plans.

I think that's a shame, as BColangelo has done an awesome job building the team and working w/ Coach Mike D'Antoni.

Sarver and BColangelo are reported to have met several times over the last week, presumably to discuss the GM's future w/ the organization. I hold out hope that BColangelo will be retained and re-upped -- he's earned that.

I think the only thing we can do is hope and see, I know that Sarver and BColangelo has spoke in a disclosed meeting last night, but I don't know the details, there will be a statement very soon to discuss the situation. Phoenix fans keep your fingers crossed and hope he will not be in Creamerland :D;)

I hate to be joyus at your expense, but this is a great day to be a raptors fan

:boogie:Β  (dance)

Uh, is there is EVER a good day to be a Raptors fan?

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Β 

I hate to be joyus at your expense, but this is a great day to be a raptors fan

:boogie:(dance)

This may force me to finally accept that the Raptors exist and are not a black hole on the Toronto sports scene. I'm really happy they are finally making a move to fix the team, I guess Peddie realised Raptor fans aren't Leafs fans and willl keep filling the arena no matter how poorly the team is doing. I know it will take awhile for the team to become good, but I'm confident he can help rebuild the tarnished image the Raptors have, and we already have the first piece in Chris Bosh. This move may also result in the Raptors keeping James, who Bosh keeps claiming has made his season very successful. Bravo Raps, and Peddie, I guess you get to keep your job a little longer...

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

Which just goes to show in this crazy world of ours...it has nothing to do with how good you are it's how "in" you are with the big wigs. If you're not "in" with the right people, even if you're the best man for the job, they'll make sure to kick you out the door. Power hungry mofos!

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon SportsΒ πŸ”—
spacer.png

I watched his press conference today, and I gotta say, I REALLY like this guy, and think he will have a real positive impact on the Raptors. He seemed excited to be part of this team and laid out a plan he has for them and what his goals are as President and GM. He spoke really well and just seemed to know what he was talking about and was passionate about it. He addressed all his questions professionally and just seems like a great person. I'm excited, and hope I can one day go to a Raptors game to see them win.

It seems like the Jays and Raptors are improving, but the Leafs are stuck in limbo...

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

:( Enjoy him Toronto...We sure did. Too bad the powers that be couldnt get their head out of their :censored: and give him the money he deserves here in Phoenix.

it wasn't about money, Sarver was willing to give up the jack and make him one of the highest or at least in the 10-15 range in the league. It was about respect and making his own name, which I don't think he was getting here in Phoenix with Sarver.

Archived