Worst moment in sports

NJTank

As a companion to the pleanst memory thread here is one for all those moments you like to forget.

Ill add more later but I will say my worst moment watching was

Game 7 of the 1988 NLCS when the Mets simply folded.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Where to begin with this one!

I guess as far as watching, anytime any team I like has lost heavily would be high on the list! I tend to block those out! Serious injuries freak me out too. A guy called David Busst (pronounced boost) had his leg broken in a soccer game playing for Coventry against Man. Utd and there is a famous photo of it where his leg is just bent like it was made of cloth or something.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

-watching my favourite CART driver, Greg Moore's fatal crash live on Halloween a few years back.

-The Music City Miracle against Flutie and the Bills

-Game 7 of Colorado vs. Minnesota in last years playoffs

I've got two:

1.) the last 5 minutes of the 4th quarter in last Monday's Bucs / Colts game

2.) the entire 2nd half of the Miami Hurricanes / Florida Gators game a few weeks ago.

What do they have in common? The team I rooted for couldn't keep a 20+ point lead for that amount of time and ended up losing both games.

-Avs vs Wild game 7 last season

-depending on tonight's events, last night may make it to this list

-Iowa Barnstormers move to Long Island

-Kenosha Twins (midwest league) move to Fort Wayne

-Wisconsin vs Michigan last season...once again, UW makes a poorly timed mistake and basically hands the Maize & Blue another win

-UW vs UNLV this year: AD goes down, Smith is stricken with fumblitis, Rebs dominate

-Irish vs Oregon State in Fiesta Bowl a couple years ago...and almost all of the Bob Dumbass era

-Super Bowl XXXII. enough said.

-U.S. vs Germany in the last World Cup...that was a handball!!!

playing: losing by a field goal against arch rival Horlick three years ago...if any of you guys are North Dakota State fans, you may have heard of the kicker, Cory Vartanian

screwing up a perfectly-executed bench during a powerlifting meet...i racked too early and that's how i screwed up

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Last night's game 6 was the worst I can remember, being a Cubs fan. Especially cuz' it was fan interference and the ump was out of position to make the call anyway. Just seein the bummed look on Mark Prior's face said it all cuz' he had been pitching so good and looked to have had it locked up.

worst playing was when in the championship hockey game, I broke free down the right side with under a minute left, tried to go far-side and low on the goalie only to have it hit his skate and go into the corner. Would've been alright if we had won still, but we didn't.

IUe6Hvh.png

Game 7, 2003 Stanley Cup Finals.

Actually though, Game 5 hurt more because the Ducks actually had an early lead. And it was more aggrivated because I had to work that night (and everytime I had to work, the Ducks lost) and as I was driving to work, I heard the Devils take the lead, the Ducks tie it up, and then as I pull into the parking lot, Pandolfo kicks in it. Evil ensued.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

Watching- Seeing Dale Earnhardt die in the Daytona 500, watching the Bucs run over the 49ers in the playoffs last year...that's about it.

Playing- Ugh. Let me first say that I've played church basketball for a long time. This coming year will be my seventh consecutive...we were consistently bad. 2-1-3, 1-8, 1-8, 3-5, 0-9, and this past season, 8-3. I don't shoot much, but I get plenty of assists, had over 100 rebounds this past season and even get a few blocks. We were playing the best team in the league for the championship, this was a GREAT game. Nobody could keep the lead, they had it by 12 at one point, we kept swapping around. With 0:07 left in the 4th quarter, one of our guards stole the ball, we promptly called a time-out.  We were down by 2 and set up our play, this included a shot by our best three-point shooter with the rest of us going for the rebound and tip-in. We started the play, Scott shot, missed, the rebound came STRAIGHT to me. I put up a jumper from about 10 feet...Clank. I was immediately on the floor, not crying, but I was very upset that possibly the only chance we ever had at winning the title, pissed away because of me...I have a newfound appreciation for all the goats of the world. Hey, Cubs fan, if you need to talk...call me.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

For me this could happen tomorrow night, I'm going to game 7 Yanks-Sox, it could be one of the best moments or if the sox...gulp.... win, it would be the worst. The worst part of it is now I can't go to the Devils home opener and watch them raise the banner.

And RC the puck went off of Pando's skate, he didn't kick it in. The play happened right in front of me.

And to add 1 thing the worst is the year 2001, both the Devils and Yankees blow 3 games to 2 leads in the Cup finals and World Series.

And RC the puck went off of Pando's skate he didn't kick it in. The play happened right in front of me.

Maybe, but for great justice, it wasn't supposed to happen.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

Game 6, 1985 World Series. He was OUT OUT OUT!!!!

here we go again........LET GO! Ok so he was out.......why didn't the Cards bother to show up in game 7? 11-0 damn, guess when it comes to heart, the Cards didn't have it.

All that aside, i don't hate St. Louis, it's just fun to argue about it.  :;):

Oh and SCOREBOARD!

Playing:

Watching a guy on the opposing team get drilled in the chest with a line drive off in a softball tournament in Florida.  Poor guy's sternum was cracked and he died before the ambulance could get there.

Watching:

I gotta go with either Theisman's leg snap or Dave Dravecky's arm.  Either is just too grotesque for me to watch ever again.

nav-logo.png

It was the greatest 7 game series in all of sports, and i say that with confidence.. but it still hurts to this day... i can't watch it... i have to turn away... it causes physical pain... even after 3 cups...

Matteau... Matteau... Matteau.... that mother flubber Stephan Matteau...

Dave Dravecky's arm still haunts me today.. that image will never leave my mind....

ANd all you Cubs fans stop blaming the fan, the ball was inthe stands, it wasn't fan interference, the Cubs lost because of Alex Gonzalez and Mark Prior imploading... not some jerkoff fan. It is still sad they lost though....

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Game 6, 1985 World Series. He was OUT OUT OUT!!!!

here we go again........LET GO!

I'm trying, I'm trying!!!  But if that happened then I would have to concentrate all of my grudge energy on the MU-CU 5th down fiasco, which fortunately for me happened while I was in law school down in Oklahoma.  Had I been there that day I would likely not be practicing law right now because Missouri won't let you have a license if you have a felony conviction -- especially if it's murder.

Watching: Pats in '97 SuperBowl.  It feel a little better now.  I was 4 y.o. when Buckner happened.

Playing: It was my senior year of H.S. in 2000.  My last baseball game of my high school career, for the tourney semifinals, it was the bottom of the 7th with 2 outs.  We were down by 2.  Runners on first and third.  I hit the ball to center field.  The CF reached over the wall and caught.  game over.

1989 NCAA Hockey Championship game. Minnesota vs. Harvard. Randy Skarda hits the pipe in overtime and minutes later Harvard wins with a goal just after a faceoff right in front of me. I had invested so much of myself in that Minnesota team that year.

1987 NCAA Hockey Quarter Finals. Minnesota vs. Michigan State. I went all the way to Detroit only to watch our goalie leave the crease to play the puck coming around the boards, only to have it hit the seam on the Zamboni door and ricochet back into the slot where a State player buries it into an open net. That just sucked.

There was also one other year when the same Minnesota goalie from the Harvard game gave up a goal with just two seconds left in regulation and the score tied in the NCAA Quarterfinals. This team really could rip your heart out and seemed to do it annually during that period.

Gary Anderson missing a field goal, his first miss of the entire season, mind you, that would have iced the NFC Championship Game and sent the Vikings to the Super Bowl the year they went 15-1. They lost to the Falcons.

When the Figiting Saints folded the first time. It's never a good thing when a kid becomes aware of the business side of sports. It's a loss of innocence you can't get back.

When the North Stars moved to Dallas.

Overall though, from what I've seen, baseball can be the cruellest sport. Perhaps because there is no clock, so you just can't stall and kill time. Also, it moves at a pace that makes the agony unfold slowly. There's nothing you can do to stop it as batter after batter adds to your misery.

JeffB

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

Archived