ESPN.com's Insiders

rmackman

This is just getting rediculous. It seems now that just about every featured article on ESPN.com is for their subscription customers only. I can't read anything about the trade deadline at all (even though nothing really happened)! It's getting worse and worse. Why don't they just make all of ESPN.com a subscription site, and then I'll happily use CNNSI.com or CBSsportsline.com instead. Give me a break! Sometimes I feel like 10-20 years from now TV will be all pay per view, the internet will be all pay per site, all roads will be toll roads where you pay at each light, etc. Okay I feel better after that rant. B)

Agreed. What pisses me off most is when the main headline on the page, all the articles linked underneath the picture and the short summary are insider articles.

It doesn't make me want to pay for that crap, it makes me want to use another site.

A little cheat for the insider information is to possibly see who wrote the article. Sometimes the articles are from local papers for that team.

I frequently see "Insider" articles that are from the NY Daily News. Then I just pop over to the Daily News website and search for the article.

This raises another question, why would you pay for something on ESPN when you CAN get it for free, and why would they make you pay to read articles like that???

Thoughts...??

I really don't care about ESPN Insider. I hardly go to ESPN.com, anyway. If I want team news, I check the team website. I also frequent the league websites every day to keep up with scores and stats. I read my local newspaper and USA Today for opinions and analysis pertaining to sports. I read a few out-of-town newspapers online as well. You'd be better served by not going to ESPN.com and finding other ways to get news. Of course, there are plenty of options besides ESPN.com.

I watched a little bit of SportsCenter the other night while surfing channels. Every other story they were talking about, the anchor would say, "For more, go to ESPN.com". I have a feeling that their reporters are giving less information on camera, and ESPN has the rest of the interview/story in their Insider section, just waiting for those suckers to pay.

This is just getting rediculous.  It seems now that just about every featured article on ESPN.com is for their subscription customers only.  I can't read anything about the trade deadline at all (even though nothing really happened)!  It's getting worse and worse.  Why don't they just make all of ESPN.com a subscription site, and then I'll happily use CNNSI.com or CBSsportsline.com instead.  Give me a break!  Sometimes I feel like 10-20 years from now TV will be all pay per view, the internet will be all pay per site, all roads will be toll roads where you pay at each light, etc.  Okay I feel better after that rant.  B)

AGREED 1000%.................I was gonna post something in a few days on this too,they have a free insider day like in April or May(yea really a GREAT time for rumors), I only like to have the insider for the rumor central and bracketolgy-those used to be FREE. They do make me not want to go to the web site too. Its really sad how far they go for a buck :evil:

I agree with you all that Insider is a huge joke and gets under my skin like no other when I find out a good headline is linked to them, but ESPN.com is still where I go first for sports. Sad but true.

Hey, I don't like the idea for paying for the site either, but I was already getting the magazine and when my renewal came up, I noticed that the magazine was included with the Insider and it was basically the same price. Plus I get the Big Show and The Herd from the radio side on my iPod. It's a ripoff yes, but if you already get the magazine, it isn't that different

Archived