Okay kids, get your paper and pencils!

yh

In all seriousness, you would expect them to change a sixty-plus-year-old league name because they admitted a team from Canada?

Nope!  Just like I wouldn't want them changing the name of the CFL if U.S. teams ever came back.

My dad suggested a North-South Conference idea in the NHL, in one conference you would have all the Canadian teams + the original six teams, among a few others. In the other well you'd have the rest.

Not sure if that works financially (lots of travel!) but it a northern conference would make for some exciting hockey!  :D

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Back to the North-South thing, I took a few seconds and quickly did a conference split... I went from my head, so if something if further north and i switched em up lemme know!!

This kills some rivalries, unfortunately, but brings out much bigger rivalries, IMHO.

NORTH

Boston

Buffalo

Calgary

Chicago

Columbus

Detroit

Edmonton

Minnesota

Montreal

New Jersey

NY Islanders

NY Rangers

Ottawa

Toronto

Vancouver

SOUTH

Anaheim

Atlanta

Carolina

Colorado

Dallas

Florida

Los Angeles

Nashville

Phoenix

Philadelphia

Pittsburgh

Saint Louis

San Jose

Tampa Bay

Washington

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

My idea for the NHL would be to add 2 teams (Yeah, there's too many already....) in Quebec or Hamilton and one in Winnipeg.  Then, set up as follows:

PRINCE OF WALES LEAGUE

Canadian Division

Canada East

Hamilton/Quebec

Ottawa

Toronto

Montreal

Canada West

Winnipeg

Vancouver

Edmonton

Calgary

American Division

Northeast

Boston

New York

Buffalo

Philidelphia

Midwest

Detroit

St. Louis

Chicago

Columbus

CLARENCE CAMPBELL CONFRENCE

South Division

Atlantic

Long Island

New Jersey

Washington

Pittsburgh

Southeast

Carolina

Tampa

Atlanta

Florida

West Division

Southwest

Phoenix

Dallas

LA

Anaheim

Northwest

San Jose

Colorado

Minnesota

Nashville

The top two in each subdivision play a best of 7, then they play for Division champions, then league, then the cup.

The only thing out of place, really is Nashville.  I like this setup because it allows the Original 6 to be in the same league.  It also allows at least one Canadian team in the Stanley Cup semifinal.

• 3 weeks later...

I think it's kinda funny that in jrh's realignment, the American Conference is the only one with a non-U.S. team.

Toronto-Miami is a heck of a long way to go.

Anyway, I like the NBA calling it the East and West... the MLB is wrong with the National League being International and the Blue Jays being in the American League (unless you interpret it as North American, which 99.9% of people don't).

Actually, when I read it, I interperit "National and American" as two different ways of saying the same thing. USA. National doesnt mean Inter-national, Inter-national does.

As for the NBA alignment. The divisions above look great, but it's of little consequense to the playoffs, that is, until a division winner has a home court advantage over second or third place team with a better record.  I mean, I like the chance for  more teams to win "division" championships, but if they dont really matter much to the playoffs, I cant see the point. Then the argument can be made, you should always try to win your division first. In the NBA, you dont even hear people talking about division races much at the end of the season, because there are 8 spots to be had. It's like a really long round robin tourney before the next round.

Play RBI Baseball 2K9 @ http://league.rbicentral.com

Archived