Nuggets get registered sex offender in trade

Bleujayone

If you were a GM, would you trade for a player with this type of reputation? Regardless of whatever he does in a game, I would think this would be a PR nightmare. Seattle must be happy to be rid of him.

Nuggets Get Sex Offender in Trade -2/23/2006 KUSA News9

DENVER - The Nuggets newest player will have to register as a sex offender when he arrives in Denver.

Ruben Patterson came to the Nuggets in a four-team trade Thursday just before the expiration of the NBA trade deadline.

Patterson has been involved in a number of off-court issues during his NBA career. The incidents include a 2001 episode in which reached a plea deal in a case involving the attempted rape of his children's nanny.

As part of a plea deal in that case, Patterson must register as a sex offender in the state where he lives. He was also sentenced to 15 days in jail.

Patterson was 25-years-old at the time. He is now 30.

Although Patterson never admitted to the crime he did tearfully apologize to his wife in court for cheating on her.

Patterson was with the Seattle Supersonics at the time. He was traded Thursday from the Portland Trail Blazers.

While with the Sonics, Patterson was also charged with domestic abuse against his wife. Those charges have since been dropped and the couple has divorced.

Following his game Wednesday with Portland, Patterson said he was happy for a chance to play with a new team.

"I'm just ready to be happy," he said. "It's time for Ruben Patterson to start his life over."

Patterson is the only registered sex offender in the NBA. He is averaging 11.5 points per game this season.

We all have our little faults. Mine's in California.

It seemed like they were trading just for the hell of it. I don't think anybody profited from that trade.

That's exactly the feeling I get.

"We've been involved in more trade rumors than any other team all year... we have to make some sort of deal, right?"

IUe6Hvh.png

Seattle must be happy to be rid of him.

Just to clear it up he was with portland when he was traded yesterday... It was with seattle a couple years ago when the sex offending happend.

impossiblefp4.jpg

The World Basketball Championship, the Davis Cup, Ryder Cup, Iraq: Every day there's further proof that we, as a nation, are not very good at international competition.

See Billy Tibbets.

The Flyers traded for this creep 4 or 5 years ago, and people were furious about it. To make matters worse, they gave him #17, which was Rod Brind'Amour's old number. For some reason, Brind'Amour was a favorite of the ladies, and many women wore (and even now some still wear) #17 jerseys, and a lot (or at least the ones I know) were extremely pissed about it. He was gone shortly thereafter.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived