NFL Salary Cap set to Disappear for '07

jkrdevil

It could be avoided if (1) the owners were willing to provide a greater percentage of revenue to the players and (2) the large market owners stopped trying to horde each penny instead of continuing the tradition of revenue sharing. If this comes to pass, a system where everybody was getting rich and competitive balance was at an all-time high will give way to one where the rich will get richer and the small market teams will struggle to field competitive teams (and thus struggle to draw fans, and so on, and so on, . . . ). Why does that second situation sound familiar?

I know the vast majority of revenue would still be shared even under the large market proposals. However, there is enough potential disparity in local revenue to create problems.

Someone explain to Danny Boy and Botched-Extreme-Makeover Jones that the league is thriving because everyone is pulling in the same direction. Hopefully wiser heads will prevail before chaos ensues.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

The salary cap is one of the cheif reasons most of the teams in the NFL can remain competitve. Without it you're going to see the richest teams buy out the smaller markets' best player out from under them. And just as in baseball, while you might have a team make the post-season every now and again, most of the spots will be consistently hogged by the same teams year in and year out.

One of the best things about NFL football is that every year and for that matter every week the league as a whole remains unpredicatable. Good teams struggle to keep the team intact, bad teams can rebuild faster. If it's changed so that it just becomes 16 weeks of the same 8 teams beating the crap out of everyone else year in and year out, it's going to lose it's edge.

I think the owners should just take the same stand they did in 1987, "We're keeping the cap- if you don't like it go ahead and go on strike, we'll just bring in replacements." Betweeen the CFL, Arena, NFLE, and countless semi-pro teams, I'm sure they'll do so just like they did before. All the owners have to do is remember to stay united (although I imagine someone like Al Davis or Dan Snyder not doing so).

We all have our little faults. Mine's in California.

Betweeen the CFL, Arena, NFLE, and countless semi-pro teams, I'm sure they'll do so just like they did before.

With Arena and NFLE now in the mix, the owners actually have a larger talent pool than in 1987 (although I'm not sure if the NFLE players are also part of the NFLPA and thus would be part of any lockout).

What is Shane Falco doing these days?

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

I think the owners should just take the same stand they did in 1987, "We're keeping the cap- if you don't like it go ahead and go on strike, we'll just bring in replacements." Betweeen the CFL, Arena, NFLE, and countless semi-pro teams, I'm sure they'll do so just like they did before. All the owners have to do is remember to stay united (although I imagine someone like Al Davis or Dan Snyder not doing so).

Well the uncapped year is part of the current CBA so the owners can't do that. I believe the players also loose a signifigant benifit in 2007 as well. Those are there in order to try to keep the CBA from expiring and having a work stoppage. It will be 2 seasons before a work stoppage. Right now the thing is to try to work out an agreement before the Salary Cap goes away. If it goes away once it probably isn't coming back.

As far as parity in baseball compared to football it about the same. Remember more teams make the playoffs in football. Now that teams have figured out how to work the cap you are starting the see the same teams year after year. Jim Caple wrote an article on ESPN around the Super Bowl comparing the parity in both sports. I won't post it here as I don't want to change what this thread is about.

I see allot of granstanding right now but I will be stunned if the NFL messes this up not with the new TV contracts and all something wil get done eventually.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Well as a fan of one of the high-revenue 'rich as hell' teams, part of me kind of hopes that the cap does go away. But a bigger part of me realizes that it is the cap which has allowed the league to grow into what it is now, and the good of the league is more important than the good of 4 or 5 teams. The people working on this (on both sides) are too good to screw this up. I have a feeling either a new agreement will be reached, or they may agree to extend the deadline, if that is at all possible.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Want to hear a "scary to the NFL" scenario?

I hear there are very, very back-channel discussions among certain folks in the NFLPA that there might be a competitor to the NFL come 2008 - the players themselves.

The rumor I heard (and its just rumor) is that some players are pitching the idea of a players league, sort of like baseball had in the 1890's - where the players, past and present, collectively own and manage the teams. The league would be single entity, with active players collectively holding 75% ownership, with retired NFLPA members holding 25%, and splitting net revenues accordingly - the 25% both to make up for lost pension revenue and give them a voice in how the league's management structure would work, and theoretically to create a de-facto pension for current players.

The league, if organized, would kickoff on Labor Day weekend, 2008, with teams in between 16 and 24 cities (as yet unnamed, obviously), and play a 14-game regular season plus playoffs, with the championship played on the Sunday after the 2009 NCAA title game.

If this rumor's even remotely accurate, the NFL needs to resolve any labor issues they might have now. Right now. Because if this happens, or if another league crops up in 2008 and they aren't playing, they might be in real trouble.

nav-logo.png

Well, even the owners aren't too happy about a uncapped year. What that does for the present is completely whacked out any type of long-term negotiations, such as extensions, bonuses, even standard clauses. So yeah, uncapped SOUNDS great, but it's like a Ferrari with free gas, but with a 2 gallon tank.

I hope the NFL is able to work around this...this can only be a bad thing.

GR30a5H.png

If the NFL ditched the salary cap, I'm afraid that it might turn into a MLB type thing where you have the same 4-6 teams contending every single year, a bunch of teams stuck in the middle, and the lower 10 teams that are never in the playoff mix and even try to avoid being contracted from the league. I don't think it will go that far, but that (along with steroids) is exactly what turned me off from baseball to begin with. I would hate to see things in the NFL become as unfair as they currently are in baseball.

6uXNWAo.png

None of these leagues ever work and if they try it they will come crawling back to the NFL.

But if what Mac's saying is true and happens the NFL will lose it's best assets and the new league will have something that the previous new leagues ever had and that is the players. No one would watch the NFL anymore because it would no longer feature the best players.

That assumes the new players league is well organized. My question is how it is determine to split up the revenues amongst the players. Would certain better players get more or is it split up evenly. If it's split up evenly you'll have a case where the 3rd string qb makes the same as the starter. The question with the first option is how is it determine who is better and how much more they should get. With this ownership and contract negotiation will be removed because the players themselves are the owners.

It probably would fail, but if they organized it well it would kill the NFL.

Removing the salary cap will jeopardize the Eagles' annual claim of being the most under the salary cap. Not that people will throw you parades for that ...

But here's where it gets interesting...

If there is no agreement, not only will there not be a cap in '07, but the deadline for teams to get under the '06 cap gets bumped way up. So teams like the Eagles who are way under the cap will be able to just sit back while other teams have to frantically start cutting good players. So the Eagles, and other well-managed teams will not only get to grab other team's great players this offseason, once the cap goes away, they will be in position to be one of the biggest spenders in '07 and beyond.

Again, I don't want to see this happen, but selfishly I guess it could work out for us.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

It probably would fail, but if they organized it well it would kill the NFL.

And that's just it - the players for all intent and purpose are the NFL. They are the product. If they have the right backing in terms of administration (the money aspect would probably be no real problem, as I'm sure financial backers would be out there to loan them the money to launch), and don't mismanage such a venture, it would end the NFL as we know it, at least for a while...

nav-logo.png

Archived