Should Bagwell quit.

buildingmaint

Honestly, I think he should try to play. HE thinks he can play. The team is only doing this for money. If he can't play they have an insurance policy on Baggie that pays 15 of his 17 mill.

People (especially lots on these boards) always bitch about players having no loyalty, only wanting the dough. However, Baggie has been the face of Astro baseball for 15 years or something, played hurt and played injured but never complained. He never chased bigger contracts elsewhere and has been a class act. Now the team has turned their back on one of the most popular players in franchise history to save a few million bucks?

What a way to say thanks for the best player to don your hideous history of uniforms. I'm now glad Houston got swept in the Series last year.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Hey if he can play and he wants to he should play, he dose not want to be sitting around in 20 years saying to himself I coudl have played 3 more years and blown his HOF chances.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Honestly, I think he should try to play. HE thinks he can play. The team is only doing this for money. If he can't play they have an insurance policy on Baggie that pays 15 of his 17 mill.

People (especially lots on these boards) always bitch about players having no loyalty, only wanting the dough. However, Baggie has been the face of Astro baseball for 15 years or something, played hurt and played injured but never complained. He never chased bigger contracts elsewhere and has been a class act. Now the team has turned their back on one of the most popular players in franchise history to save a few million bucks?

What a way to say thanks for the best player to don your hideous history of uniforms. I'm now glad Houston got swept in the Series last year.

Him just showing up today may have jeopardized the Astros ability to collect that 15 million now. The only way they were guaranteed that money was if he never suited up again.

semperfi.gif

"It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the

press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of

speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us

the freedom to demonstrate. And it is the soldier who salutes the

flag, serves beneath the flag, whose coffin is draped by the flag, and

who allows the protester to burn the flag."

Marine Chaplain Dennis Edward O' Brien

I think the only way Bagwell stays in the game is to go to the AL and DH.

He's already said that won't happen. He won't play outside of Houston.

As for the whole situation, Bagwell's earned the right to go out on his own terms. Drayton McLane took out the insurance policy to benefit himself only, and he set the deadline date on his own. To make this about money - specifically the owner's money - is an insult to a guy who's been the face of the Astros for the better part of 2 decades. He's never left, never complained, and never handled himself with anything but class. He played for some mediocre clubs in the name of loyalty and finally reached a World Series. If he wants to see if he's got anything left, he has that right. He won't linger for the money, and he won't go elsewhere - he wants 2 weeks in Florida to see if he can still compete. Let him (and Biggio) go out on his terms.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Just the knowledge of the game that someone like him to give to the younger players is enough to keep him around. To try and dump a guy who done as much for that ballclub is just unacceptable.

I once had a car but I crashed it. I once had a guitar but I smashed it. I once, wait where am I going with this?

Yup once again as I had said in another post...this is corporate America. They want you to kill yourself for them and if you don't they make you pay. Then when you've been used up they won't be loyal to you the way you have for them. It's rare to see it happen. I'm rooting for Bagwell to have a good season.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

Baseball, after all, is a business. True, Bagwell deserves better, but doesn't the organization have an obligation to put as competitive a product on the field as they can in front of their paying customers? If the Astros feel Bagwell isn't the best option at first base, don't they have the right to tell Bagwell that he's medically incapable of helping the Astros reach their full potential?

I admire players who take loyalty over monetary value any day of the week, but if a player's mindset is overruling his body's current shape, it will make both parties look embarassing. I always prefer an athlete who retires earlier rather than later. The last thing I want to see on Bagwell's final season stats is a batting average under the Mendoza Line and a fielding percentage that makes him look bad.

Archived