A victory for Sweden...

Sodboy13

So, Sweden snagged gold in men's hockey and silver in women's. This despite the seemingly insurmountable odds against them, due to the fact that they were the lone team to not wear the new Swift jerseys. So the jerseys are unsightly, the fans don't like them, the players don't like them (as was openly displayed by the Canadian team during the unveiling,) and NHL GMs are apparently repulsed by them. Add to all that the fact that these Olympics have shown they don't provide any clear-cut competetive advantage, and it begs the question: Has this experiment in umiform technology just significantly shortened its shelf life?

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I really really really hope that this is true. I think after this, it is safe to say that the Hockey Gods reside in Sweden.

Also, had this final taken place in 2002.. maybe even earlier, i dont remember when Finland put "Suomi" across the bottom, but before the text on the bottom, I think Finland had one of the nicest unis in the world, and a Swesedn-Finland matchup in that get-up would have been beautiful to watch, it would have been even better if it was yellow vs the Finns whites.

twitter_zps93c9c8f9.png @josh_j12 smbelt_zps438edf04.png

CFA- Fargo Bobcats

Swift jerseys are here to stay. By next year, we'll all be used to it. The thing is that most teams (am I wrong?) don't seem to tuck them in. So can't some (ie Chicago, Detroit, etc.) continue to have horizontal stripes? I doubt it though. The Reebokization of them will have vertical stripes across the board.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Switzerland also had the old style jerseys, so Sweden wasn't the lone team. Also, I noticed in this pic the Sweden jerseys were made out of the Swift material but had the classic cut...

oly_full.56165426tl130_ice_hockey_ol.jpg

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

Well there you go it can be done new materuial classic look

RC actually corrected me on it, he told me its the same material Nike has always used for its authentics...its just the same look of weave that the new material is.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

By my count, the classic jerseys were 7-3-2 in direct competition with the Swift jerseys, including taking home the Gold.

:hockeysmiley:

This includeds upsets by the Swiss over both Canada & the Czech Republic.

So much for Nike's technology and stupid templates and weird back stripes.

I think you may be able to pick up a Swift jersey on clearance for $20 as an oddity and footnote to hockey history, not unlike Cooperalls, in the very near future.

Hopefully Reebok can learn from Nike's folly and not screw up the NHL next season.

JeffB

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

I absolutely HATE the Swift jersey's. I find them the ugliest pieces of crap in the universe.

Now that's off my chest...I'm VERY happy Sweden won the gold medal. After all the criticism they went through in Sweden after the Belarus loss, I was hoping they would rebound, and they did. Lundqvist made one of the most brilliant saves of the Olympics with 10 seconds left when he sprawled across the crease keep the puck out. What a game that was.

I'm hearing rumours that the swift jerseys will NOT be coming to the NHL for 2006/07

Well yeah the Swift jersey's aren't for sure as they are made by Nike. :P

But hopefully that is true about the RBK equivilant. I heard that the GM's hate them especially the ticked in look.

The tightness doesn't bother me. It was the the design of them that I didn't like. If RBK could keep horizontal hoop stripes and keep them untucked the would be good.

I'm hearing rumours that the swift jerseys will NOT be coming to the NHL for 2006/07

Best. Rumor. Ever.

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

After seeing some of the swifts for sale in stores, I have to say I really like them. If they can find a way to 1. not use the same template for every team, 2.preserve the striping patterns for the more traditional teams while allowing some of the less-historical teams to use the vertical 'racing' stripes, and 3. not have different designs for the goalies as has been previously mentioned, I think they will be fine.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

After seeing some of the swifts for sale in stores, I have to say I really like them. If they can find a way to 1. not use the same template for every team, 2.preserve the striping patterns for the more traditional teams while allowing some of the less-historical teams to use the vertical 'racing' stripes, and 3. not have different designs for the goalies as has been previously mentioned, I think they will be fine.

Well, then you'd have a traditionally styled hockey sweater with a lighter material and a tighter fit. Which is something I don't think many would disapprove of, but at the same time, it's not something a corporate monolith like Reebok wants to do when it's trying to force its brand and image down the throat of every last sports fan consumer. For example, Nike could easily incorporate its new fabrics into classically-styled college football uniforms, but instead, they throw piping all over the damn place and smack us in the mouth with contrasting sleeves. Because that's Nike, baby, and ain't nothin' you or anyone else can do about it.

It seems like way too many people are thinking that the Nike Swift jersey and the jerseys Reebok has in the works for the 2006-07 NHL season are the same thing.

Let's try to remember that these are two different companies we are talking about.

Nike had 10 teams to outfit and used one template for all of them with minor variations here and there. These jerseys were also not tucked in.

Reebok has 30 teams to outfit and is rumored to have three templates to choose from and has plans for the jerseys to be tucked in.

There are many similarities it sounds like, but don't forget we are talking about two different companies with separate programs.

For all we've heard, Reebok's may actually be worse!!

JeffB

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

Archived