Biggest Winter Olympic Flop

Cujo

The winter olympics won't exist in 50 years, not because of tv ratings, but because of global warming

Global warming? To us here in North Dakota, it's something like the population explosion -- neither one exists. :wink2:

Heres a bust for ya NBC TV Raitings getting slammed by American Idol and Dancing With the Satrs.

I know. The Olympics aren't compelling. It features minor sports some of which aren't even sports (Figure Skating). All the action is tape delayed so you already the result and that's even for the game sin North America.

I say in 50 years the Winter Olympics (and maybe even the summer games) won't exist anymore.

Why? Because it doesn't work in USA??

Believe me, it works pretty damn well in Europe, so I doubt the Winter Games will disappear.

Yes but it's the US TV money the pretty much funds the Olympics. If future Olympics get beat by regular programming like this year the rates networks pay for the Olympics will go down signifigantly. That would leave the Olympics short on money for it.

Heres a bust for ya NBC TV Raitings getting slammed by American Idol and Dancing With the Satrs.

I know. The Olympics aren't compelling. It features minor sports some of which aren't even sports (Figure Skating). All the action is tape delayed so you already the result and that's even for the game sin North America.

I say in 50 years the Winter Olympics (and maybe even the summer games) won't exist anymore.

according to the so called time traveler, John Titor, this year could be the last year for the olympics due to some major events that puts the olympics on hold. :wacko:

enough science fiction, i say the biggest olympic flop is the olympics itself getting drilled by American Idol. I don't watch either but im surprised that more people watched American Idol, I figure there would be more interest in the olympics.

Didn't John Titor say that the Athens games would be the last? I was expecting something big to happen right before the opening ceremony in Torino. <_<

Maybe he meant the last summer games.

That said, the ratings just prove how HORRIBLE American's taste in viewing is. I mean, the big ratings get-er in the Olympics was Figure Skating. Which is almost as bad as American Idol.

I guess it was because everything was tape delayed. I wasn't very compelled to watch much when I already knew what was going to happen.

Ratings were lower this year compared to regular programming because this is the first year other channels actually tried to compete with the Olympics. People had more options this year. And more options = less viewing of certain things. Shouldn't be suprising or considered a "flop." Personally I was suprised ratings were so high. I didn't think many people cared about the Olympics. Especially tape-delayed figure skating. (Considering that's all NBC ever showed.)

Sorry, but it has to be the Canadian Hockey team. It wasn't Bode Miller, even though he was ranked #1 in the world in a couple of events or something like that, no one gives a damn about alpine skiing. It wasn't Michelle Kwan, she wasn't even a medal contender. It wasn't US hockey, the team was old as dirt and Rick DiPietro was our goalie, come on!

The collection of talent on that team was mind boggling. Remember when the team was named and how everyone was all ga-ga, goo-goo and drooling over the roster? It wasn't THAT long ago. The roster was stacked! Yet they didn't show up. Weren't they the defending champs?

When the US B-ball team took home the Bronze in Athens, people were outraged and the players well all called thugs, lazy, and all kinds of negative things. At least they got some hardware. The Canadian Hockey team didn't. They didn't even sniff a medal!

By the way, here's a great article from Terry Frei regarding how the inclusion of Todd Bertuzzi (now THAT'S a thug) "cursed" this team.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

• 2 weeks later...
The biggest flop was Nike, who once again threw way too many ad dollars behind an athlete who failed to excel.

That is the biggest, Bode Miller didn't win a single medal :D

bmoresig.png

'and they don't question what I say cause I'm a ladies Pimp"

Archived