My new design label

gordie_delini

Hey guys. Turns out there's a G2 Catalog Design company (G "squared" like me, even a similar logo) in Eugene. So in the likely event that I would have to rebrand, I've come up with this, infinitus design. infinitus is the Latin word meaning "endless." The logo has several meanings to represent the notion of endless: first, the circle is a traditional symbol of both perfection and endlessness. second, the stem is a (very) stylized letter "I" for infinitus, and represents the endless cycle of life. It is also a nod to the state of Oregon, in its green-mindedness and protection of forests, plant life, and animals. The colors are PMS 376 and 5645. The font here is Roadgeek Mittleschrift. Included here is a self-promotional item. What do you guys think? I myself am very happy with this design, but I am certainly open to constructional criticism. Thanks!

Design:

infinitumdesign.gif

Ad:

infinitus-design-ad.gif

OD_Signature.jpg

Very nice. i like it.

All I can say for a recc is to maybe break the circle with a diagonally curving stripe of white to help re-inforce the infinate property of it, rather than it just being a containment box.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

Both versions of the first ad are good, but I prefer the original one.

Not really getting anything out of the cloud one. Too much going on to make sense of what you're trying to accomplish. Maybe if you scrapped the dark clouds and just created a hint of clouds with a thin green outline. As it stands now, I'm drawn to the clouds, and overlook the text.

facebook.png twitter.pngblogger.pngflickr-1.jpg

Very nice. Infinitely (pun!) better than G squared. The color is very nice, and I like the choice of symbol here. The curves of the plant could be smoothed and streamlined in a few places, though.

I like the "i.d." campaign, but it sounds funny and redundant to say "identity i.d." and "branding i.d." I would go with "visual i.d." or "corporate i.d." and "brand i.d." instead of "branding i.d." The fading arrow is a good solution if you're set on those terms.

If you're not already using InDesign to create your layout pieces, I would start doing so. The information on your self-promos looks arbitrarily placed. Use InDesign to set up a grid, organize it and line it up using a system. If your system is meant to not line it up, then roll with that.

While I like the idea of the slogan as the focal typography on the self-promos, I feel "Infinitus Design" is too small. I would also join it with the mark in the upper right corner instead of separating them, because they both feel unattached to the piece as is, and I think you'll have a stronger brand if you join the type and the mark, no matter where you place it.

If you include your contact info, I would join that to the type and mark as well. I think I would like having the contact info, the type and the mark straight across the green space at the bottom like you have it in the second ad.

Be aware that using all lowercase letters creates some tough creative decisions when you start making things like invoices and contracts. Just be consistent, whether you use all lowercase, or if you use upper and lowercase. Don't be afraid to keep your titles and slogans in all lowercase and compose large blocks of text in upper and lowercase for better legibility.

Also, experiment with different type. You have the sans serif DIN Mittelschrift for your titles and info, so think about using a clean serif type for large blocks of text, which will also increase legibility and help viewers distinguish the typoraphical heirarchy.

Personally, "chief designer" sounds a little corny to me. The professional term is "principal," but "creative director" is a nice title as well.

Finally, if this is something you really want to pursue as a self-operated firm in the future, I would definitely go and buy real DIN Mittelschrift instead of using the Roadgeek font. Freeware is amateur; store-bought is professional, and legal. $29.00 for opentype and $22.00 for truetype/postscript from www.linotype.com.

Very nice. A breakout piece.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

tempest - great critique, thank you very much :-D

i am set on the terms for the "i.d." campaign, since i.d. are the initials for infinitus design, and i'm glad to hear you think the arrow solution is a good one.

I am not using InDesign currently, however, I plan to as soon as I can afford the software. So in the meantime, there is some rhyme and reason to the layout, but some random-ness to it as well, something that can be lined up easily later on.

The reason I didn't join the circle logo and the name was to have a little less empty space in the design. The new look with the arrows fixes that I think, so I'll move the logo down with the wordmark and join those as you suggest. I may make it a bit bigger, as well. maybe I will move the contact info up into the right corner, or just below the logo/wordmark.

Good call with chief designer - I'll make that switch. As for fonts, I agree with you 100%, but it's one of those things that as a poor college student, I'm fine with freeware, for the time being. But as cash becomes readily available, it's something I will definitely start doing.

Thanks for the comments, guys, keep 'em coming! :-D

OD_Signature.jpg

Empty space is your friend, provided you treat it with care. :P The negative area will never look "too big" or "too much" if it's composed well.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Empty space is your friend, provided you treat it with care. :P The negative area will never look "too big" or "too much" if it's composed well.

abso - :censored:in' - lutely.

people are afraid of negative space, but the best work uses it to its advantage.

Amazing work there Brian!

I love its simplicity. Well done!

Four times IHL Nielson Cup Champions - Montréal Shamrocks (2008-2009 // 2009-2010 // 2012-2013 // 2014-2015)

Five times TNFF Confederation Cup Champions - Yellowknife Eagles (2009 CC VI // 2010 CC VII // 2015 CC XII // 2017 CC XIV // 2018 CC XV)

so i've been trying to come up with a new letterhead and business card idea. the letterhead i would need to put into production soon, for resumes and whatnot. i'm trying to think outside of my typical, traditional designs for letterhead and cards, so i'd love to hear some thoughts, ideas, or suggestions from you guys. it would really help me out, but if you guys don't want to, i understand. not asking for any actual designs, just thought (feel free to throw something together, though, if you're bored :-p). i really appreciate your guys' encouragement and feedback so far, and i'm looking forward to hearing what you guys have to say here :) thanks

OD_Signature.jpg

1. Set up a grid, either on paper or with guides in Illustrator.

2. Gather your logo, and type or write out everything that needs to go on the page.

3. Move your text around your grid until you find an organization that is clear, concise and fresh.

4. Make a lot of these, and choose your favorites.

5. Let other people critique them, physically with their hands and eyes.

6. Note how they respond to each one, and make a decision.

7. Don't be afraid to be different. Unique things make the biggest impressions on me, personally.

good call, once again :P. i've been playing with the stem theme again. i have a pretty good look for the cards, and i think i'm going to go simple for the letterhead, just the logo in the upper right corner, a green band across the bottom with the contact info above in silver. any other suggestions for the materials here?

OD_Signature.jpg

Archived