Farewell to an old friend

rainmaker17

The Austin Ice Bats of the CHL played their final game at the Travis County Expo center on Feb 25th against the Odessa Jackalopes. I was there ten years ago when the team was formed, and I was there Saturday night to take it all in. The Expo Center is basically a rodeo barn (insert southern hockey joke here), and the rodeo basically kicks the team out every March leaving them to finish the season entirely as a road team. Beginning with the playoffs (if they make it) and next season the Bats will play in the FAR smaller Chapparal Ice Center. I hope this not a bad omen regarding the team's stability.

...and I'll miss the old barn *sniff*

arena.jpg

odessa.jpg

batswin.jpg

our hideous first jersey! (we look like Nashville now)

innaugral.jpg

The Bats wore their Texas Longhorn jerseys for the second time, and then auctioned them off for charity. I've never bid on a jersey in my life, but I guess I got caught up in the moment and laid out a lot more $$ than I had planned to snag a jersey. I'm glad I did now.

jersey.jpg

newsig.jpg

and next season the Bats will play in the FAR smaller Chapparal Ice Center. I hope this not a bad omen regarding the team's stability.

Thus the climate of Minor Pro Hockey. Most venues have to charge a huge rent to make it into the black. This cuts the bottomline of the team down. I know it was a sticking point for Topeka to stay in the CHL both times. The Kansas Expocentre (Landon Arena) had a pretty good price compared to other markets. But alas, the teams left.

Hope you guys stick around. It would be weird not to see the Ice Bats anymore.

Archived