Fantasy Baseball Keeper Query

amare32

I'm in a 12-team 5x5 roto keeper league. I get to keep 5 guys from last season's roster. I'm pretty confident of the first three keepers, but I would like some reasoned advice on the rest of the spots.

I think I will definitely keep --

1B Albert Pujols (STL)

SS Michael Young (TEX)

1B Paul Konerko (CWS)

Then I need to fill the last two keeper slots from among these candidates --

SP Ben Sheets (MIL)

RP Mariano Rivera (NYY)

RP Francisco Rodriguez (LAA)

2B Marcus Giles (ATL)

2B/3B Jorge Cantu (TB)

2B Rickie Weeks (MIL)

OF Pat Burrell (PHI)

I've tried to consolidate talent thru trades, but I've exhausted my options. So it looks like I'll have to pick two and leave some good players on the board. What would you do given those keepers?

Thanks.

I'd keep Francisco Rodriguez for sure, esp. in a roto league. You can never have enough quality closers.

As for the other spot, I'm torn. Sheets, Cantu, Giles and Burrell all have their upsides, but could all have their downsides too. But I think you have power covered in your inital three picks, and could have a good start on pitching with Rodriguez, so I'd go for speed and average with the last one and go with Giles.

But hey, that's just my opinion. :D

Some points in Weeks' favor:

- He's likely to be batting lead-off according to an article this week (means more at bats and more steals).

- The Brewers have brought in some good infield coaches (Yount and Sveum) to work with all of their kids - he shouldn't drop off the face of the earth

- He had a thumb issue most of last year which didn't allow him to hold onto the bat

Anti-Sheets - The guy just can't stay healthy

DISCLAIMER - I don't do fantasy sports, so I hve no idea how it's scored. I'm just offering my opinion on the player

It's where I sit.

Personally, I'd go with Rivera and Cantu....

You know with that Yanks roster, Mo's good for about 30-35 saves on the year easy...

And Cantu's got some serious pop in his bat and could do just as well again, especially with Huff and Gomes right near him in the lineup...if TB actually had some pitching, they might be dangerous :lol:

FANTASY TEAMS

Housatonic U. Dragons (NCFA Basketball): 16-6 (8-4 Conf.)--National Runner-Up

Jersey State U. (NCFA Football): Inaugural Year - 2006

Motor City Silverhawks (WArFL): 9-4 (3rd--National Conf.)

Lehigh Valley Ironmen (WAmFL): Inaugural Season--2006

New England Marauders RFC (RLI): 6-0-7 (6th place)

Detroit Spirit (AA): 3-6 (T-4th--Patriot League)

Brooklyn Atlantics (IBF): 10-5 (1st--Appalachian Conf.)

Boston Mariners RFU (WRU): Coming Soon!

New York Americans (SHL): Inaugural Season - 2006-07

I'd keep Giles (How many good 2nd-baseman will you find that bat lead-off and can hit HR's, other than Soriano?) and either Rivera or K-Rod. I'm leaning towards K-Rod, because I think the Angels will be in more tighter games than the Yankees.

1. I wouldn't keep Konerko. You have Pujols.

2. Cantu is a keeper. Multi position eligiblity, to include 2B and last year I think was just a teaser.

3. With letting Konerko free, you now keep KRod AND Rivera. There will be plenty of speed and power to draft if only 60 guys are keepers. I'm sure most teams have at least 1 or 2 kept already.

4. Don't keep Giles if you can have Cantu. 15 SB's that Giles may give won't help as much as the 4 categories Cantu beats him in. Sorian, Cantu, and Iguchi are the top 3 2B's, everyone else is pretty much interchngeable at that spot.

5. Sheets, Weeks, and Burrel I wouldn't even waste my time thinking about. They are all merely average to slightly above average at there spot. Average is not what you look for in keepers.

semperfi.gif

"It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the

press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of

speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us

the freedom to demonstrate. And it is the soldier who salutes the

flag, serves beneath the flag, whose coffin is draped by the flag, and

who allows the protester to burn the flag."

Marine Chaplain Dennis Edward O' Brien

i have a query too, with Hernandez now in Baltimore would it be worth it to keep Javy Lopez?

Well, here is my perspective (an O's fan). It looks like Javy will be moving to 1B/DH for the season. I've heard the O's may plan on trading him before the trade deadline. It is his contract year (43 homers on his last one), and it doesn't look like the O's will try and extend him. I would keep (unless you have a much better option) because I think he put up solid numbers and move to a contending team the 2nd half of the season.

As for Amare's team. If there is some way to start Konerko and Pulojs then I'd keep both of them. Otherwise I'd let Konerko go (although that would be hard to do). Then I'd definitley keep Ben Sheets. Then it be a decision between Giles and K-Rod. If alot of people in the league are keeping closers, than I'd keep K-rod. If not then I'd keep Giles, and try and draft a quality closer.

Rivera and K-Rod

and I'd let Konerko go and keep Cantu.

staffordsigbuffda6.jpg

Owner of

Kalamazoo Tech Kobras (Nat'l College Fant. Assc. Basketball, Football, and Hockey)

2006-07 NCFAB National Champions

2006 NCFAF Midwest Conf. Champions

Rochester Patriots (Major League Hockey - AHL Fantasy League) 2005-06 Neilson Cup Champs

Detroit Black Panthers (Xtreme Hockey League) 2005-06 Yzerman Conference Champs

Sheldon Motorsports (TRAC) - #20 Guinness Chevy & #21 UPS Chevy #44 Syracuse University Chevy

Commissioner of

MLH (Major League Hockey, an AHL Fantasy League)

TRAC (Team Racing Auto Circuit, NASCAR)

My format has 9 active pitching slots, plus C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, 5x OF, 2B/SS, 1B/3B, UTIL and 3 bench spots.

I would start Pujols at 1B and Konerko at 1B/3B.

I think I've resolved to keep KRod and Sheets in my 4th and 5th slots. Don't want KRod and MoRivera cos, in conjunction w/ my decision to keep 2 1B, it would leave me w/ too much talent at only two positions and no talent anywhere else. Sheets I think can bounce back from last year's injury woes and is a major talent -- don't forget he notched 264(!) Ks in 2005.

I'll be throwing MoRivera, BWagner and BJRyan back in the draft pool, along w/ MGiles, Cantu, RWeeks and Polanco. W/ that many CL and 2B bouncing around (not to mention the guys other owners cut) I should be able to restock those positions in the draft.

Thanks to all for sharing your good counsel. Good luck in your fantasy leagues in 2006!

I hope it's not too late. I tried to warn you.

Ben Sheets: Exits Thursday's Start Early

Ben Sheets: Exits Thursday's Start Early

RotoWire.com Staff - RotoWire.com

Thursday, March 9, 2006

Update: Sheets left Thursday's exhibition start in the first inning with what he described as "not pain, but an uncomfortable feeling" in his right lat, according to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.

Recommendation: Sheets tore his right lat last August and had season ending surgery to repair it. He hadn't reported any problems with it until this point, but his velocity was down during the first inning. Sheets will see the team doctor and possibly have an MRI. It may be a while before he's back to full strength so temper expectations for the beginning of the season.

semperfi.gif

I hope it's not too late. I tried to warn you.

Fortunately, at the last moment I replaced Sheets w/ Weeks.

My keepers in that league are Albert Pujols, Michael Young, Paul Konerko, Rickie Weeks and Francisco Rodriguez.

Thanks for the tip, Joe. B)

Amare, did that absolute bomb that Cantu hit tonight fly over your house?

You are gonna regret that drop! :D

semperfi.gif

Amare, did that absolute bomb that Cantu hit tonight fly over your house?

You are gonna regret that drop! :D

No, but I was at the game and I saw him hit it.

You've got quite a lot of opinions about my team. You wanna run it? B)

:P

Nah. I just have a pretty strong opinion of Cantu and was surprised you let him go.

semperfi.gif

:P

Nah. I just have a pretty strong opinion of Cantu and was surprised you let him go.

I like him, too, but I was pretty short on SB. I could've gone w/ MGiles, but I'm big on Rickie Weeks as a power/speed 2B. Cantu's inability to swipe bags and his short track record relative to Konerko's cost him the spot.

Archived