Old Buffalo Sabres Logo

Titanole

The old logo (and the better one IMO) for the Buffalo Sabres was on the random logos section just now and it reminded me of something I've never understood about it. Perhaps some of you sports logo geniuses knows the answer.

What was the purpose of the slanted lines above and below the buffalo? At first I thought the animal was running downhill or something (which still doesn't make a lot of sense) but that doesn't explain the other line. They don't really seem to indicate forward motion. I don't get it.

Ideas?

The old logo (and the better one IMO) for the Buffalo Sabres was on the random logos section just now and it reminded me of something I've never understood about it. Perhaps some of you sports logo geniuses knows the answer.

What was the purpose of the slanted lines above and below the buffalo? At first I thought the animal was running downhill or something (which still doesn't make a lot of sense) but that doesn't explain the other line. They don't really seem to indicate forward motion. I don't get it.

Ideas?

Yeah, the lines were added to indicate motion, like the buffalo was charging.

Ideas?

Yeah, the lines were added to indicate motion, like the buffalo was charging.

Now I've seen plenty of cartoons in my life and usually when there are lines indicating forward motion they are behind the thing that moved. I guess it could be to visualize (poorly) the motion of the air around the buffalo as it charges forward, like the trails of smoke around a car in a wind tunnel. Then again if that were the case, given the lower line the animal would seem to be airborne.

I'm starting to think the extra lines were just some artsy-fartsy idea from the 70's.

i think the sabers have the best alt. uni in hockey.

not to be rude or anything, but what does that have to do with anything?

it was on the topic of Sabers Uni's. i thought i would throw that in to the mix.

now if i said. man i really like the bosox red unis that would be a different story

i think the sabers have the best alt. uni in hockey.

not to be rude or anything, but what does that have to do with anything?

:D I was thinking the same thing. "Here's another random opinion that has nothing to do with the original question!!" Ahhhh, that's life on the good ol' CCSL boards. :hockeysmiley:

Now, back to the original question, you'd think if they were going to add some motion to the buffalo, it would have been done better. Those lines hardly relate to the buffalo and could have been made a lot more obvious as motion lines very easily.

I wonder if the original was inspired by a old native american drawing that had the lines in the same place and just modernized into the original Sabres logo?

Like this one was modernized and turned into the current Canucks logo; orca-whale-trivet-L.jpg

JeffB

That's one of the aspects about the old Sabres logo I loved: I wasn't sure what those lines represented. They don't overwhelm the logo while giving it a little mystery and distinction.

I always figured they represented slashes from the blade of a sabre.

The lines are bullets flying past the buffalo showing how we hunted them to extinction many years ago.

And yes, I just made that up.

Wow. Bravo Cream boy. Had you not said anything, i would have believed that..........

I thought they were supposed to be slashes from a skinny sword...like a, oh I'll just go out on a limb here and say a....sabre.

It began with a bloody S!

Also, the Sabres current alt is just the Devils home jersey minus the shoulder panels and with some weird extra gray stripe at the bottom. Not very original at all. (IMO, the Sabres black jersey is a fantastic jersey.)

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

RC - I have one of those black Sabres jerseys, and I agree with you. Those are one of the better jerseys in the NHL these days.

However, I can't wait to see what the Sabres / RBK Hockey / the NHL come up with for a new logo scheme.

I think the Sabres jerseys are kind of neat (especially the fact that the arm and body stripes form a buffalo head), but since about 42% of all beer league teams in the world have used the Sabres jerseys as their jerseys, I am so, so, so sick of them.

That, and the blue and gold so ruled. They were retro before retro was cool.

Archived