New US Kit

pointguard4519

Why is it a kit and a pitch instead of a uniform and a field?

The British use a lot of other words that we do not insist on using ourselves. For example, we don't call Coke pop, we don't the couch a chesterfield and we do not call our apartment a flat. Why use their terminology for uniforms and fields?

The British use a lot of other words that we do not insist on using ourselves.  For example, we don't call Coke pop, we don't the couch a chesterfield and we do not call our apartment a flat.  Why use their terminology for uniforms and fields?

WAH.

The British use a lot of other words that we do not insist on using ourselves. For example, we don't call Coke pop, we don't the couch a chesterfield and we do not call our apartment a flat. Why use their terminology for uniforms and fields?

Lots of people call Coke's pop.

Its just the terminology. We've already renamed the sport, we should maintain at least some traditional names.

I used pitch and kit because they are unique to soccer and think they sound cool - no real difference between the two wasy of describing each. Anyway, I didn't notice the stripes on the shorts til today either. I think they really would have looked better on the front, but, oh well.

We are one!

i don't like soccer that much, but i do feel that it should be called football, even here in the states.

in jest, american football should be called "soccer"... after all, you constantly "sock" people to gain yards...

but, american football really needs a new name. it is more like american rugby.

but the words "pitch" and "kit" are just dumb. DUMB. about as dumb as 0-0 ties and deciding world championships on shoot-outs.

..same reason you choose to live in a state named after a town in England...

"We root for the laundry"

(Jerome Seinfeld)

Why use their terminology for uniforms and fields?

..because if we did...200+ years of democracy and good dental hygenie would go straight down the loo...I mean crapper...

"This isn't just the Oregon Ducks, it's Football's Future Turf Soldier War Hero Steel Robot Tech Flex Machine Army." -CS85

seriously, why do you guys have to comment negatively on the proper term. if you dont like soccer, why even enter the thread.

with your logic, they might as well ruin the game and put commercials in there like in the US.

i'm pretty sure that the Commercial Timeout is 1000% more stupid than a uniform being called a "kit".

but, american football really needs a new name. it is more like american rugby.

but the words "pitch" and "kit" are just dumb. DUMB. about as dumb as 0-0 ties and deciding world championships on shoot-outs.

"Gridiron." American football should be called "Gridiron." It captures in sound the image of rugged, aggressive manliness that the sport tries to project.

American English has no problem with using "kit" as a verb, as in "he was kitted out in full dress uniform," so why not use the corresponding noun? The whole parallel language for soccer can be a signal to all the soccer-haters -- you know, folks who believe that a man who spends a cumulative quarter of an hour on the field over a 3-hour period, wearing full body armor, and even then spending the bulk of his time participating in committee meetings, is more "manly" than another man who spends 90 almost uninterrupted minutes in constant action on a larger field with no armor except a flimsy shinguard -- that they can just tune out.

If you don't like soccer, you can just listen for the words "pitch" and "kit" and move on to something else, and leave those who appreciate the beautiful game to talk among themselves. It's a win-win proposition.

And I do not like the new white jerseys. That vertical stripe makes me think "England." Not that the blue jersey is doing anything for me either.

20082614447.png

I actually think American Football (now known in my head as Gridiron) is crap, too. There's no need for helmets and pads, look at rugby players.

I'm not hating soccer, I'm just saying that the words "kit" and "pitch" are pompous.

When I see a lot of grass, I see a field.

And uniforms are uniforms.

"Boot" I can live with, and I find it more accurate than "cleats".

I can't wait to see England and Spain choke again in 4 months!

The new US Soccer kits are being used right now on ESPN2 vs. Poland. I have to say, I think they look very good out on the pitch.

Did anyone bother to wear the socks right?

82_316291_StartingLineup.jpg82_316292_Dempsey.jpg

They had to switch to a yellow ball in the final ten minutes because of reduced visibility in the snow.

82_316287_Convey.jpg

48142444846_3aa6afbd89_m.jpgNCAA Baseball Champions | 2014, 2019 

facebook

I actually think American Football (now known in my head as Gridiron) is crap, too. There's no need for helmets and pads, look at rugby players.

I'm not hating soccer, I'm just saying that the words "kit" and "pitch" are pompous.

When I see a lot of grass, I see a field.

And uniforms are uniforms.

"Boot" I can live with, and I find it more accurate than "cleats".

I can't wait to see England and Spain choke again in 4 months!

Please tell me you are being sarcastic with you comment about pads and helmets.

And WTF is pompous about kit and pitch? Some people call them uniforms, some say kit. They're not mutually exclusive. You CAN say soccer uniform if you want, no one's stopping you.

And to whoever said WE don't call Coke pop? Where are you from? I hear soda and pop, but to me anyone who calls all soda/pop Coke is retarded.

You used to hold me

Tell me that I was the best

Anything in this world I want

I could posses

All that made me want

Was all that I can get

In order to survive

Gotta learn to live with regrets

-President Carter

And to whoever said WE don't call Coke pop? Where are you from? I hear soda and pop, but to me anyone who calls all soda/pop Coke is retarded.

Dude, a majority of the south calls all soda "coke."

I don't, but it's along the lines of calling all cotton swabs "q-tips" or tissue "kleenex".

Archived