New US Kit

pointguard4519

In rugby you'll see the occasional hard hit, but it's not like every single play in football. You have huge guys running full speed into each other. If we didn't have pads and helmets people would die.

Now seeing how the players on US soccer are twisting their socks, which proves how stupid that one stripe is, is there anyway Nike could change it?

What was the reason for the armbands (and if they were meant as a memorial, why were they on everyone's right arms)? Also, why were they not wearing them during the match? Might that have been to avoid confusion with the captain's armband? Just curious on both points.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

..same reason you choose to live in a state named after a town in England...

Not exactly, professor.

New Jersey was named for the Isle of Jersey, not a town. Get your facts straight when calling people out...

As for those who can't bear to bring themselves to use proper soccer terminology: why? Is it that hard?

When I see a lot of grass, I see a field.

Unless it's a lot of grass meant for tennis at Wimbledon, in which case it's a court. Or unless it's an expanse of grass for bocce or croquet, in which case it's a lawn. Or unless it's a grass-covered racecourse for horses, in which case it's a track. Or unless it's meant for golfing, in which case it's a course. Or unless it's meant for soccer, in which case it's a pitch.

Baseball, football and basketball players wear jerseys. Hockey players wear sweaters. Aussie footballers wear guernseys. Soccer players wear kits.

Baseball players get dressed in clubhouses. Football players don't; they have locker rooms. Hockey players have dressing rooms.

Many sports can end a game with one team or player having a score of zero. Tennis ends some games with a score of love.

Every sport has its own unique language. Years of tradition won't be swept aside because you've got a hangup over soccer's unique terminology.

GET OVER IT. Or just don't watch; they won't care, since most of the rest of the world does watch, and they seem fine with the terms. <_<

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

In rugby you'll see the occasional hard hit, but it's not like every single play in football. You have huge guys running full speed into each other. If we didn't have pads and helmets people would die.

It's probably a chicken and egg thing--having pads encourages American football players to hit hard and then, at least theoretically, wrap up with the arms (though some DBs forget the second part). Rugby players seem to hit less but wrap more. I'm sure if rugby used the same padding as football, there'd be a lot more hitting in rugby too.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

It's probably a chicken and egg thing--having pads encourages American football players to hit hard and then, at least theoretically, wrap up with the arms (though some DBs forget the second part). Rugby players seem to hit less but wrap more. I'm sure if rugby used the same padding as football, there'd be a lot more hitting in rugby too.

You're totally right.

If the players weren't wearing helmets and cleats, and didn't do so much helmet to helmet/body/legs stuff, they wouldn't need pads.

GRIDIRON, baby!

And to whoever said WE don't call Coke pop?  Where are you from?  I hear soda and pop, but to me anyone who calls all soda/pop Coke is retarded.

Dude, a majority of the south calls all soda "coke."

I don't, but it's along the lines of calling all cotton swabs "q-tips" or tissue "kleenex".

Coke is a southern thing

Pop is a midwest thing

Soda is a yankee thing

Here's a good reference to see the breakdown:

smalldrawn.gif

http://www.popvssoda.com/

And to whoever said WE don't call Coke pop?  Where are you from?  I hear soda and pop, but to me anyone who calls all soda/pop Coke is retarded.

Dude, a majority of the south calls all soda "coke."

I don't, but it's along the lines of calling all cotton swabs "q-tips" or tissue "kleenex".

Coke is a southern thing

Pop is a midwest thing

Soda is a yankee thing

Here's a good reference to see the breakdown:

smalldrawn.gif

http://www.popvssoda.com/

The map does seem to suggest that Pop is the common term for the midwest, but I have to get it out there that here in St. Louis we call Soda by its real name. :P

"I'll have a coke"

"what kind?"

"Pepsi"

:blink:

that doesnt look right.

Reading that and seeing Hedley's MST3k silhoutte sig, I can't help but remember a quote from MST3k's Mike Nelson:

"You know, sometimes there's a fine line between regionalism and just plain stupidity."

:D

4409811293_559b1d05dd_o.jpg

I was wondering about that other. Maybe "cola?" Anyway, where I grew up it was pop, but MIlwaukee is officially soda country.

You used to hold me

Tell me that I was the best

Anything in this world I want

I could posses

All that made me want

Was all that I can get

In order to survive

Gotta learn to live with regrets

-President Carter

Archived