Newbies

-kj

Just to offer a possable explaination:  I ended up comming over here after the "other" board finally went under (or at least that is the conclustion I came to as my bookmark kept taking me to a "file not found" site).  Anyway...some of the people who have been hiting the boards lately (myself included) could very well be refugees from said "other" board.  Hopefully these things will work themselves out one way or another.

The "other" board is not done... they just changed url's without informing anyone. Click here to go to the new URL.

You may or may not have trouble logging in. I did, and I believe it was a common problem.

Anyway, don't feel like I'm asking you to leave. I mean, I'm pretty quiet over at the other board (not to sound nasty or anything, but I personally get a lot more out of this board than that one), but I still stop by regularly and see what's going on.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

As a tip to any newbies, don't go in with all guns blazing from the start. This is a well established community and you have to earnt the respect of its members, once you have done that you will be treated with the respoect you give out!

I am going to respectfully disagree here.  New contributors who have something to say and something to share in a MEANINGFUL fashion should not feel the need to exercise any restraint with their MEANINGFUL contributions.  I don't have any issue with newbies whatsoever.  The hubbub (for lack of a better term) that happened last week was a knee-jerk reaction (at least for me) to behavior that suggested the board was being polluted by an individual whom in the past has been notorious for using multiple screen names and clogging the boards with nonsensical, ill-conceived and downright crazy posts - things like "Proposed NFL Expansion Realignment" wherein the NFL merged with the AFL, CFL and revived old USFL teams.  (For those of you who may not know, this person is usually referred to by his most notorious screen name XLR8R.)

New contributors keep the board fresh and interesting (which of course is not to suggest that those of us who have been here a while are growing stale or anything).  If new contributors didn't sometimes come in with guns a blazing we would have been deprived of contributions from Nitroseed, Canis and several others who made a fairly immediate impact.  I would suggest reading the TFAQ to avoid questions that may already be answered and I would review the boards to avoid duplication of topics but other than that, if you've got something meaningful to say, bring it on without reluctance!

I admit I washed upon teh shores of the CCSLB during the SLE.com sign up... but I have grown to check this board countless times during the day to see if anything new is up and to see what I can add to the community... i know im not the best guy on here (and for my vote its a toss up between sterling or nitroseed) but I try to give constructive criticism while trying to keep it lighthearted... comparing Shizznits original Chicago State Cougar to gene challot (those whiskers were wild) and he understood that and through many updates and changes the logo has become really good looking... so the newbies have to learn that demanding a logo or a design isnt the best way to start, comment on a design, show us your artwork, and dont try to impress anyone cuz "you have the inside track on the NBA expansion into Europe"... *steps off soapbox*

GDB... Brothers from other Mothers

www.pifflespodcast.com

I dont know if id be considered known or respected, but thanks for the compliment.  I guess ive just been around since it was kinda started.

But with that, id like to address something.  I really am kinda uneasy with the whole idea that there is some sort of class system here between newbies and vets.  It really has to do with people who post constructive, thought-out opinions and concepts, and people who utter mono-syllabic sentences, usually being incomplete and simple minded. (hello fanhome)

But making this kid infamous only gets his (most likely) adolesent mind more apt to post.  Im sure he is still around.  In fact i guarentee it.  But really, i dont think one idiot makes the whole village stupid, i think that itself is simple thinking.  

Im not worried an outside observer might think this board isnt a valid community of enthusiastic designers and fans just because some kid uses net-hate.  He just looks like a stupid little kid.  If that same observer got only that impression, he himself would join the ranks of idiots.  I think we can give ourselves a little credit, I would be confident in saying this is the most complete sports logo message database on the continent.  (I dont go looking for sites in manderin.) Ive looked for many, just in case im missing something, and in terms of covering all the angles, this is it boys.

Ive seen this kinda behavior off and on with pretty much any board ive been on, and when ignored, it generally goes away much quicker.  Hes just a board little bastard that...well i wont get personal, but obviously having threads and threads on this only makes innocent newcomers shy, and potential jackasses more threatened.

Every regular here is a nice guy, some of them are a bit sharper with their wit, but really, that is how life is. Take it with a grain of salt.  I just dont want new comers to think that anything you say is invalid, cuz ive seen boards where that is true, and you are supposed to kiss ass to not have your every post ridiculed.  That stifles originality and creativity, and would hate to see a brilliant board go the way of fanboard.

That said, creamer, you needed to ban those kids so it ISNT like fanhome, which at one time was brilliant, but then many stupid polls and unrelated posts cluttered.  

I think many of the refugees may have blamed some of the people that came there right before or as it went bad for fanhome's creative demise.

That claim isnt completely misguided, but we will lose many good new opinions and voices if we spurn new involvement.

so i guess in final,  new posters, welcome.  dont be threatened, remember its only natural to buddy up with those you know, but everyone here is eager to meet more people with the same passion in design.

That said, creamer, you needed to ban those kids so it ISNT like fanhome, which at one time was brilliant, but then many stupid polls and unrelated posts cluttered.

Which is exactly the reason why I did it.  My thought was, this is my board, I want this board to be somewhat classy, I don't want immaturity running rampant on the board (yes I'm guilty of that sometimes, sometimes!)

The reason this board was created was because I could not do that on Fanhome, I had no power over anything.  Basically I could lock, and delete posts, and that was it.  If I wanted anyone banned I had to let a group of people know about it, and why I wanted to, and post evidence about the reason why I should.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Said in all seriousness, and meaning nothing ill:

On a good message board, dictatorship is awesome! Keep it up Chris.

BTW - Sorry I have numbers in my name, but at least it isn't just to separate me from someone else. As my tagline says, "It's where I sit" in Lambeau Field

It's where I sit.

Just to clarify my earlier comments! All I was suggesting was that from time to time a newbie comes in who is too big for there boots and gets off on the wrong foot. If newbies have something interesting to say then  I am all for that, but they have to realise that there a lot of guys in the community who fiercely guard its reputation as a quality board that isn't full of junk!

I don't mean it as a newbies v vets thing or anything like that, everyone should be welcome, and everyone has something to say!

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Archived