NHL uniform Changes 06-07

Colinium

Probably more due to the uproar all over North America that their "one template fits all" mentality (at the expense of not only traditional uniform design, but of individual team's historical look) has caused than Sweden's winning in "old sweaters".

I don't even care if they make them tighter fitting, or of lightweight materials. But the idea that hockey players would tuck in their sweaters is off the mark, and the vertical stripes and random insert panels are not aesthetically better than what any team has now.

I wonder if Nike, by rejecting the template philosophy with their 2006 World Cup uniforms, has set a new trend in the marketplace, away from templates?

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Probably more due to the uproar all over North America that their "one template fits all" mentality (at the expense of not only traditional uniform design, but of individual team's historical look) has caused than Sweden's winning in "old sweaters".

I don't even care if they make them tighter fitting, or of lightweight materials.  But the idea that hockey players would tuck in their sweaters is off the mark, and the vertical stripes and random insert panels are not aesthetically better than what any team has now.

I wonder if Nike, by rejecting the template philosophy with their 2006 World Cup uniforms, has set a new trend in the marketplace, away from templates?

But Nike is just as responsible as any for forcing templates across entire competitions! Nike made the Swift sweaters worn by every hockey team (10 of 12) at the '06 Olympics. And the Swedes and the Swiss basically dragged their feet long enough that their Swift designs never got made (a passive form of resistance, I 'spose), or they'd have been wearing Swift designs as well.

If Reebok is aborting the mission, I give them credit for sensing the pulse of their target audience, and realizing it's not too late to admit it was a bad idea and not force it upon the world.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

How soon we all forget history. This is not the first Olympics that one company made one basic template for all the hockey jerseys.

Remember these beauties from Tackla in 1992? I remember every team wearing that diamond pattern on the shoulders, and 3-D numbers on the sleeves and back.

canfront.jpg

canback.jpg

usef.jpg

can-nor-92.jpg

And then Reebok in 1994 gave everyone the lovely vector logo on the shoulders?

kariya.jpg

Templates aren't a recent "innovation". As much as I don't like Nike, the only reason so many people are harping about the templates is because more people are seeing them now than back in 1992 and 1994.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Actually, (and I ask this question seriously), besides that TSN article and this message board, has any significant amount of people in the general public actually said anything about these Swift jerseys?

I personally have yet to meet anyone in the public who, while interested in Olympic hockey, actually cares about the jerseys. It seems that those who do care and are showing an interest in it the most are...well...already here, and we only number about 5000. The few close friends of mine I've discussed this with, who don't post here but would actually care, actually like Canada's jerseys and are no worse then "looks OK" on everyone else's Swift designs.

I imagine Paul Lukas' next article will reference them and their awfulness (if he hasn't already, I can't remember if he's talked about them or not), but would that significantly influence a public opinion that will buy anything new?

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

The fact that the general public will buy anything new is a major problem here, i think, because it will allow reebok to declare their little jersey project a success. no matter how ugly the unis are, they will sell, because they are new. and with EVERY team with a new uniform, well that will increase sales exponentially... people will buy them to stay current, with little regard to how they look... and reebok will declare success.

I don't even care if they make them tighter fitting, or of lightweight materials.  But the idea that hockey players would tuck in their sweaters is off the mark, and the vertical stripes and random insert panels are not aesthetically better than what any team has now.

But Nike is just as responsible as any for forcing templates across entire competitions! Nike made the Swift sweaters worn by every hockey team (10 of 12) at the '06 Olympics. And the Swedes and the Swiss basically dragged their feet long enough that their Swift designs never got made (a passive form of resistance, I 'spose), or they'd have been wearing Swift designs as well.

If Reebok is aborting the mission, I give them credit for sensing the pulse of their target audience, and realizing it's not too late to admit it was a bad idea and not force it upon the world.

Wait, what? You're telling me democracy might have a chance after all? The people have spoken and someone has listened? Lunacy! :D

By the way, it's s'pose. But then, we knew that. :grin:

It's a testament to how far jerseys have come in the last 14 years that I look at those Tackla jerseys, with their gaping porthole mesh, and think "Good Lord, how rec league-y."

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Every Sunday morning on KTRS 550 AM in St. Louis they interview Blues GM Larry Pleau. I emailed the host yesterday, asking him to ask Pleau about the NHL uniform situation this Sunday. I don't know if he will or not, but it might be worth a listen just in case. You can listen to the show online at:

http://www.ktrs.com/

"This sweater, this Bluenote, it's your life. That Bluenote never hits the floor. You wear that sweater with pride." Barclay Plager

plagerbrosdancing.jpg

Actually, (and I ask this question seriously), besides that TSN article and this message board, has any significant amount of people in the general public actually said anything about these Swift jerseys?

I personally have yet to meet anyone in the public who, while interested in Olympic hockey, actually cares about the jerseys. It seems that those who do care and are showing an interest in it the most are...well...already here, and we only number about 5000. The few close friends of mine I've discussed this with, who don't post here but would actually care, actually like Canada's jerseys and are no worse then "looks OK" on everyone else's Swift designs.

I imagine Paul Lukas' next article will reference them and their awfulness (if he hasn't already, I can't remember if he's talked about them or not), but would that significantly influence a public opinion that will buy anything new?

Maybe "uproar" is a little exaggerated. But I know that the new Swift jerseys were touched on by both print and TV media outlets that I've seen. And for everything that's been said, I've yet to hear a flattering comment made about the proposed new NHL designs or the Olympic designs outside of the companies making them, who seem to be touting the competitive advantages of the materials over the visual appeal. Of course, the Swedes' actions speak louder than Reebok's words.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

i think the difference then and now is, there wasn't the issue of the same company designing the olympic jerseys, being contracted out to redesign the entire NHL to that type of jersey style. if tackla got an nhl contract to redesign the nhl to the tackla style, there probably would be hell to pay.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

i think the difference then and now is, there wasn't the issue of the same company designing the olympic jerseys, being contracted out to redesign the entire NHL to that type of jersey style. if tackla got an nhl contract to redesign the nhl to the tackla style, there probably would be hell to pay.

Nike did the Olympic jerseys. Reebok will be doing the NHL ones. Or is it RBK? :rolleyes:

Well, Yes. Apparently John Buccigross got a lot of e-mails about how awful the Olympic Jersey's are (Although some of those probably came from members here). And the fact that they were mentioned on that talk radio show in Columbus shows there have been negative talk about the unis.

Now there hasn't been that much mentioned mainly because the general public does not follow this. However if the NHL would have gone through with this we would have heard large scale complaining.

For us though the fact the GMs rejected this is a good thing. RBK will go back to the drawing board. I have a feeling they will end up looking like traditional jerseys just tighter and lighter. Which is a good thing. The GMs are very traditional and they probably won't accept anything less.

For us though the fact the GMs rejected this is a good thing. RBK will go back to the drawing board. I have a feeling they will end up looking like traditional jerseys just tighter and lighter. Which is a good thing. The GMs are very traditional and they probably won't accept anything less.

i think you hit the nail on the head. if it was a change of material or something like that but the design by in large stayed the same, like over the years when teams changed material and fitting styles, there wouldn't be much of an out cry. Most people would accept the tighter, lighter jerseys if the traditional designs stayed the same and not this monolithic crap that was feasted upon us during the olympics.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

I personally have yet to meet anyone in the public who, while interested in Olympic hockey, actually cares about the jerseys.  It seems that those who do care and are showing an interest in it the most are...well...already here, and we only number about 5000.  The few close friends of mine I've discussed this with, who don't post here but would actually care, actually like Canada's jerseys and are no worse then "looks OK" on everyone else's Swift designs.

Maybe "uproar" is a little exaggerated. But I know that the new Swift jerseys were touched on by both print and TV media outlets that I've seen. And for everything that's been said, I've yet to hear a flattering comment made about the proposed new NHL designs or the Olympic designs outside of the companies making them, who seem to be touting the competitive advantages of the materials over the visual appeal. Of course, the Swedes' actions speak louder than Reebok's words.

the biggest grumbles that I have heard from casual fans and people like my teammates who are interested in hockey but don't usually care about the uniforms is the socks. They all hate the socks. Socks have had a horizontal stipe on them for 100 years and that's because from any angle you can look at a player and still see the stripe. When the stripe is vertical and on the front when you look at the player from the back all you see is a plain red sock, or white, or blue. Whatever. I sincerley hope that trend died along with Finland in the gold medal game.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I was disappointed when coach Kitchen was on the radio show last Sunday morning instead of GM Pleau. But then I received this reply email from host:

"I am sorry I did not get to ask Larry this, but he was not on the show this week, we did Coach Kitch instead, and I was not able to check my email from Florida until today! I will get the info on the air for you!

Monty"

Hopefully we might be able to get seom insight into their decision to push back the new uniforms.

The show starts at 9:00am Central and you can listen to it online at:

http://www.ktrs.com/

"This sweater, this Bluenote, it's your life. That Bluenote never hits the floor. You wear that sweater with pride." Barclay Plager

plagerbrosdancing.jpg

So - I was at the Sabres game tonight, and as always, i ask around, trying to find information about this jersey game.

I talked to one of the cashiers at the team store if she knew anything about the jersey change. She said that they told them that the team was going to back to blue and gold, then they were told that the gold was going to be a little different of a color. Then she told me that they're not going be chaning next season.

I don't know what to believe anymore...so many rumours flying around that it's impossible to find out any real information!

If anybody finds anything out, im sure you'll post it - we've gotta get some solid informaton soon!

How soon we all forget history. This is not the first Olympics that one company made one basic template for all the hockey jerseys.

can-nor-92.jpg

At least when Tackla did them, while the all used the same number font and had the diamonds on the shoulders, the striping for the jerseys were relativley unique to each team as shown by the difference in striping between the USA & Canada and the completely unique Norway jerseys.

The Reeboks on the other hand, were not only much more of a consistant template from team to team but were dominated by the huge Reebok logos on the shoulders. Bleah. I guess that was an early warning sign of things to come for the NHL, huh?

JeffB

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

Archived