Cubs Batting Helmets

no97

I can see why they would wearing the ventilated helmets for Spring Training.

Um, why? The forecast all this week is for the mid to upper 70's (and dry as a bone - no rain in something like the last 130 days) in the Phoenix area. Contrast that to the July and August heat waves in Chicago (let alone places like Arlington, TX), where it'll be 100 degrees plus heat index... Looking at it that way, ventilated helmets make more sense durring the season than they do for spring training...

Moose

I agree.

However, I have one of those batting helmets. If there is a nice cool breeze, it is a really great thing. Otherwise, you hardly notice a difference between that helmet and the clunky old models. I still sweat taking BP in that helmet. It is much much lighter than the old helmets, but the ventilation isn't as good as it looks it would be.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I never liked the Cuba jersey. It doesn't make sense to have the team name written two different ways, but then again I'm very much in the "nickname on white, city on grey" traditionalist camp.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The blue jerseys of the Cubs I did like where the Blue with Cubs in curisive. If I remember they ditched them cux the s looked like an a, making it look lke "Cuba"  They should come up with a different script where the s doesn't look like an a, or do a chicago script with blue.  Something with that crawling cub in the C seems just wrong.

Those were gray, not blue:

1994:

nl_1994_chicago.gif

1995:

nl_1995_chicago.gif

1996:

nl_1996_chicago.gif

They did have blue Cuba jerseys. They were either an alt. or BP.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

It was the BP. I have one.

I know that they sold an authentic blue "cuba" jersey during that era because I used to see it all the time in jersey stores. I started watching baseball in the middle of 95, and I never saw them wear the blue alts. I am guessing they were part of the official uniform, but they never saw the light of day because the players voted them down.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

...I started watching baseball in the middle of 95...

What the hell does that mean?

I think it warrants an explanation. Are you only 14 years old? Was this strike related? Did you move here from Mars? Were you blind and have an operation to give you sight? What????

I started watching baseball in the middle of 95, and I never saw them wear the blue alts.

Don't want to shock you, but baseball was played before you started watching. If you don't believe me, there are plenty of books, magazines and web sites to look through at your leisure to prove this. But just because you never saw them doesn't disprove that they existed and were used by the Cubs. <_<

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

I started watching baseball in the middle of 95, and I never saw them wear the blue alts.

Don't want to shock you, but baseball was played before you started watching. If you don't believe me, there are plenty of books, magazines and web sites to look through at your leisure to prove this. But just because you never saw them doesn't disprove that they existed and were used by the Cubs. <_<

To Dirwuf, I meant that I was 12 years old in 95, and I didn't really get into baseball until then. Does that answer suit you?

As for Vitamin D, there is no reason to be an asshat, and no, you weren't the least bit witty. Now, the Cubs wore the "Cuba" jerseys for 3 years. They wore them between 94 and 96. I was merely saying, I didn't see their first year in those jerseys, but I saw a lot of games in 95 and almost every game in 96. I never saw the blue authentic jerseys on the field (I was not talking about the BP jerseys, incase that is what you thought - Sandburg is wearing a BP jersey in that picture). I was not talking about blue jerseys in general, but specifically, the blue "Cuba" jerseys. Please, enlighten me with a witty comeback. :rolleyes:

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Wasn't trying to be witty, nor will I try now. Simply pointing out that it doesn't matter what you remember or when you started watching, and that using that as a statement doesn't change the incontrovertible fact that the Chicago Cubs had blue jerseys with the "Cuba" script on them, which are the ones snetsrak43 mentioned he liked. See for yourself:

The blue jerseys of the Cubs I did like where the Blue with Cubs in curisive. If I remember they ditched them cux the s looked like an a, making it look lke "Cuba" They should come up with a different script where the s doesn't look like an a, or do a chicago script with blue. Something with that crawling cub in the C seems just wrong.

You're the one who qualified that they were alternates or BP jerseys; no one else made that distinction before you let us know that you began watching baseball in 1995 - which adds nothing to the thread, or your argument. And so, it remains a provable fact that the Cubs used these jerseys with the "Cuba" script at some point in their history..

Don't blame others and resort to namecalling when you make a stupid statement and people call you on it. Compounding ignorance with childishness only magnifies your shortcomings. And don't engage in battles of intelligence if you're not suitably armed.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Wasn't trying to be witty, nor will I try now. Simply pointing out that it doesn't matter what you remember or when you started watching, and that using that as a statement doesn't change the incontrovertible fact that the Chicago Cubs had blue jerseys with the "Cuba" script on them, which are the ones snetsrak43 mentioned he liked. See for yourself:
The blue jerseys of the Cubs I did like where the Blue with Cubs in curisive. If I remember they ditched them cux the s looked like an a, making it look lke "Cuba" They should come up with a different script where the s doesn't look like an a, or do a chicago script with blue. Something with that crawling cub in the C seems just wrong.

You're the one who qualified that they were alternates or BP jerseys; no one else made that distinction before you let us know that you began watching baseball in 1995 - which adds nothing to the thread, or your argument. And so, it remains a provable fact that the Cubs used these jerseys with the "Cuba" script at some point in their history..

Don't blame others and resort to namecalling when you make a stupid statement and people call you on it. Compounding ignorance with childishness only magnifies your shortcomings. And don't engage in battles of intelligence if you're not suitably armed.

Oh, I get it. It is childish and immature to call names, but you go on to call me dumb. :rolleyes:

I was talking specifically about blue ALTERNATE jerseys. Reading comprehension is a skill. If you reread the post in question, you will see that. I was not talking about BP jerseys. BBTV posted : "They did have blue Cuba jerseys. They were either an alt. or BP." That is why I responded that they SOLD authentic blue Cuba alternate jerseys, but I don't believe they ever saw the field. Do you understand that? Does it get through your head, the point I am trying to make? Reread it slowly. Someone posted that they didn't know whether the blue Cuba jerseys were BP or alts. I repsonded. I never said the jerseys didn't exist, that was apparently something you created in your mind. I never said they didn't wear blue cuba jerseys during BATTING PRACTICE. I was talking about wearing blue during games, from 94-96.

Apparently, you have trouble putting words together and understanding long sentences, so I will once again explain to you my comment about watching baseball in 95. The Cubs wore the Cuba road jerseys in 94, 95, and 96. I missed about half of that time, but saw almost every game for the second half. I lived in Chicago, not tobacco road. I know of what I speak. That does add to my arguement, because, as I said, I never once saw them wear blue alternate Cuba jerseys during a regular season game.

I never questioned that the Cubs wore "cuba" jerseys. I know they did, they wore road and BP ones. I was not debating that fact. I was debating whether or not they wore blue ones during a game. Is it a proveable fact that they did? Please find me a photo of the Cubs wearing authentic blue jerseys from that era (not BP ones) during a game (not Spring Training), and I will say that you one the arguement. Until then, you are just talking out of your ass.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Well, time for everyone to shut up.

I'm tired of misunderstandings that turn personal because nobody goes back and rereads what was said...

I don't know about you guys, but when someone states when they started watching the sport in question in this context, I see that as a basis on which to use their knowledge. He started watching in mid '95. Therefore his statement that he never saw a blue Cuba alt worn on the field reads that the Cubs probably never wore it between mid '95 and when he started watching.

Bad enough was the fact that two people failed to see that interpretation, but that they decided to partially trash him because of how they interpreted it. And of course, that starts something that TheOldRoman then has to fight back on.

I know the boards not gonna have peace throughout, but stupid misunderstandings that results in flaming ticks me off. So, how about before you take a personal dispute more than one post each you step back and read what started the conflict. You'll probably figure out there's no reason to get riled up.

I wasn't flaming...I just thought it such an odd statement that it warranted clarification.

I apologize if it was taken the wrong way.

Calling anything flaming was an exageraton by me...it never got that bad.

I also guess maybe I'm a little guilty of what I just posted against. I saw your comments as sarcastic when maybe they weren't.

Perhaps you were just asking what he meant since you didn't get it, which is exactly what you should do.

So I apologize for my own overreacting.

That said, there was a problem in this thread, so what I said still goes, I just may have included someone in it who shouldn't have been.

It was the BP. I have one.

I know that they sold an authentic blue "cuba" jersey during that era because I used to see it all the time in jersey stores. I started watching baseball in the middle of 95, and I never saw them wear the blue alts. I am guessing they were part of the official uniform, but they never saw the light of day because the players voted them down.

eh well, it's been said already. May as well plug one of my side projects while we're on the subject (for those who haven't seen it, those who have can go on their merry way)

Cubs BP History

IIRC the Cuba script lives on with the I-Cubs, who wear it on their homes (and I think an alt, though I'm not 100% on that)

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

i watched most of the game, though not the first inning. the new helmets actually don't look half bad when paired with the pinstripes.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Cubs manager Dusty Baker: "They've got a new-style helmet now. I hope it works. It has a little less padding and more holes, I guess to absorb the shock. We got its first test today."

And I almost made the comment that I don't remember the Cubs wearing the blue 'Cuba' jerseys in actual games. Glad I didn't. Guess we'll wait for proof.

Cubs manager Dusty Baker: "They've got a new-style helmet now. I hope it works. It has a little less padding and more holes, I guess to absorb the shock. We got its first test today."

And I almost made the comment that I don't remember the Cubs wearing the blue 'Cuba' jerseys in actual games. Glad I didn't. Guess we'll wait for proof.

Good to see that Hairston and the Cubs get to be the guinee pigs in the testing on the helmets :P

And I don't remember the blue "Cuba" jerseys being worn durring games either, but I was one of those that didn't watch a lot of baseball '94 until '98... There's a lot of stuff about the Cubs from that era I just don't know a thing about.

Moose

Archived