Cubs Batting Helmets

no97

As a note (and sorry to get back to the subject that started this thread), the Cubs were on WGN-TV today, and the entire team wore the new batting helmets, including Jerry Hairston Jr., who was beaned in the new helmet in his first at-bat, and taken to the hospital...

KeChtKfY.jpg

Moose

...and is doing fine.

Sammy had the old style, tho...

Sosa_helmet_crash.jpg

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I am not mistaken, the Cuba blue "game" jerseys were worn only once, the last game of I believe the '96 season against SD which also was the end for the Cuba jerseys all together. You could tell them appart from the BP jerseys because of the material. The Cubs did wear the BP version in a night game against Cincinnati in 1994 in an attempt to break their at the time 7 game home losing streak to start the season. The Cubs lost that game and the losing continued to a I believe still major league record 13 game home losing streak to start a season.

On a side note, this 1994 losing streak included the infamous Trebblehorn "Firehouse Chat" outside of Wrigley after one of the loses. Man, it is hard to be a Cub fan sometimes.

The Cubs did wear the BP version in a night game against Cincinnati in 1994 in an attempt to break their at the time 7 game home losing streak to start the season. The Cubs lost that game and the losing continued to a I believe still major league record 13 game home losing streak to start a season.

I believe you are thinking of 97. 1997 was the first year of their current unis (different BPs), and they started out the year 0-14 or something close. During the streak, they broke out the BP jerseys to change their luck (I believe it was in Florida). Needless to say, it didn't work. I remember there was a large picture of Kevin Orie making a futile attempt at a grounder in the first few pages of SI wearing the blue BP jersey. You may be correct about them wearing the BP jerseys to break a losing streak in 94, but I remember it specifically happening in 97.

As for the authentic "cuba" jerseys, the material was different, and also, they didn't have the multicolored elastic bands around the cuffs.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

actually, the way I remember it was it was at Atlanta, and that was the only time I remember seein em in blue that year

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

When those helmets debuted in the all star game last year, I heard the Rawlings rep was published as saying something to the effect of the change in design being because that was a way they could stand out in a crowd as their helmet, because MLB doesn't allow a corporate logo on hats or helmets. Truthfuuly, I like them, jsut as long as they don't do what the Mets did with them.

"Hats for bats. Keep bats warm. Gracias"

Archived