MLS Metrostars become Red Bull New York?

jalpz9

That would certainly be, um, interesting.

As for that being unique in the US, it actually isn't (at least not if lower level leagues are counted):

Miami Hooters (Arena Football League)

1214.gif

New Jersey Red Dogs (Arena Football League)(Red Dog Beer)

1225.gif

Capital Region Pontiacs (CBA)

CapitalRegionPontiacs.GIF

Cedar Rapids Silver Bullets (CBA)(I believe there is a Coors Light connection)

CedarRapidsSilverBullets.GIF

Detroit Neon (CISL)

DetroitNeon94.GIF

EDIT: By the way, the name actually doesn't sound that bad (without thinking about the reason/source, anyway).

"Red Dog" is a term for a blitz, had nothing to do with Plank Road Brewery. (I think the team came first, then the beer, BTW)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why would they change the name of the club just because of a sponsorship?

They could atleast make it the Red Bull New York Metrostars if they really want to sink that low as to corporate whore everything.

I fear for the future of sports and capitalism. "Well thats the end of the game, your Ford Detroit RedWings presented by Bank One, defeated in overtime by the Citicorp New York Rangers presented by Cingular Wireless."

However, what Red Bull did to the team is Austria was downright horrible. 

The team even banned fans from wearing the old colors into games.  Yep, if you wore purple, you were denied entrance.

Man, if you have any links that talk about this more, I'd be interested in reading further on that topic. Unreal.

JeffB

Wow.

Acrobat required.

I wonder how Dallas FC feels about sharing their identity with another team? Would they go back to their old "Burn" mustang logo? Would Dallas have to alter their logo so that people wouldn't be confused between the two clubs? Red Bull versus "White Bull"?

While I can understand Red Bull being the MetroStars team sponsor, I really cannot picture them being the team's identity as well.

We all have our little faults. Mine's in California.

There goes one of the good nicknames in the MLS now only the Colorado Rapids survive.

Well I happen to like the Columbus Crew

Yes, but you also make spinach dip and put it in a sourdough bread.

Listen, kids. Corporate sponsorship is all over European sports. What makes anyone think that a full-on team sponsorship is any different from the dozens of advertisements on outfield walls, dasher boards, ice, around the field, anything? There hasn't exactly been a lot of outcry from anyone here over the corporate branding of bowl games or golf events.

Like it or not, sports is big business. The MLS ain't exactly the NFL, money to keep these fellas afloat has to come from somewhere. Product placement and sponsorship is everywhere, in the music you listen to, in the TV shows you watch, movies, radio, billboards, restaurants, name it. Why should an American soccer team be any different?

Welcome to DrunjFlix

"Red Dog" is a term for a blitz, had nothing to do with Plank Road Brewery. (I think the team came first, then the beer, BTW)

I don't think you're correct on this one.

The New Jersey Red Dogs entered Arena football in 1997. Red Dog was being sold before 1996, which was the year I turned 21. I am 99.999% certain the beer came first. And despite "red dog" being a common football term, the colors of the beer and team are identical, and the dog's face in the logo is distrubingly close (although obscured by a helmet).

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

I don't think you're correct on this one.

The New Jersey Red Dogs entered Arena football in 1997. Red Dog was being sold before 1996, which was the year I turned 21. I am 99.999% certain the beer came first. And despite "red dog" being a common football term, the colors of the beer and team are identical, and the dog's face in the logo is distrubingly close (although obscured by a helmet).

I can back VD up on this one. I can remember seeing Red Dog commercials and merch when I was in 6th or 7th grade which would have been sometime around '94. The beer definitely came before the team in this case.

As for the name "Red Bull New York", it is very weak. What's next, Krunk Juice Denver?? <_<

6uXNWAo.png

What's next, Krunk Juice Denver??

by unofficial rule, whenever crunk/krunk is mentioned, Lil Jon must be spoofed, so I shall do the honors...

YEAAAAAAAH!!!! WHAAAAAATT!?!?!?!? OOOOKAAAAAAAY!!!!!! :D

back on topic, Red Dog Beer uses red and black on its labels. the NJ Red Dogs used mainly red and black (and as the LV Gladiators, still do). not a coincidence. the term did come first, but the beer came before the team as others have said.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

When the Grizzlies were moving from Vancouver to Memphis FedEx wanted to change the name of the team the Express and have their colors as blue, orange, and white. The NBA said that they did not allow teams to have corporate nicknames. So FedEx had to settle on just the naming rights of the new arena.

usa-sm.giffinland-sm.gifstars1-sm.gifdall1-sm.gif

When the Grizzlies were moving from Vancouver to Memphis FedEx wanted to change the name of the team the Express and have their colors as blue, orange, and white. The NBA said that they did not allow teams to have corporate nicknames. So FedEx had to settle on just the naming rights of the new arena.

The team also considered moving to Louisville and become the Kentucky Colonels. If i remember correctly, there was talk of a corporate tie-in with KFC.

The team also considered moving to Louisville and become the Kentucky Colonels. If i remember correctly, there was talk of a corporate tie-in with KFC.

And there were also plans for an arena sponsored by KFC called the Bucket. But, as it is, nothing gets done in Louisville.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I'm a New Yorker and soccer fan and I enthusiastically welcome this change. I've always felt that the Metrostars' name and identity were lackluster, from the nonsensical (but amusing) taxicab to the current bland and generic badge.

moreover, i think a change in identity would help invigorate this franchise that has had a mediocre history thus far.

and, hopefully, new ownership of the metrostars could lead to the addition of a second franchise in new york....bring back the cosmos!

I'm a New Yorker and soccer fan and I enthusiastically welcome this change. I've always felt that the Metrostars' name and identity were lackluster, from the nonsensical (but amusing) taxicab to the current bland and generic badge.

moreover, i think a change in identity would help invigorate this franchise that has had a mediocre history thus far.

and, hopefully, new ownership of the metrostars could lead to the addition of a second franchise in new york....bring back the cosmos!

Since when did you hear about a possible addition of a second MLS franchise in New York?

YOZXkBG.png?1

Since when did you hear about a possible addition of a second MLS franchise in New York?

There was a lot of talk about it, before the current round of expansion (most of us said "It'd be nice to have a team in New York"). The proposed SSS was to be in Long Island City (where the new Mets stadium should be built).

Don't think that's still alive.

Archived