Rice Football making changes for 2006

silentbob_7264

New regime brings new look

For 16 seasons, wings served as the primary helmet decal for Owls football. In the wake of the naming of Todd Graham as head coach on Jan. 1, Rice has decided to alter the appearance of its helmets as well, going with a full owl for the first time since 1983.

The background color will change from blue to gray, and an attacking blue owl with a white 'R' on its chest will be centered above both ear holes. The facemask will be blue.

New regime brings new look-Houston Chronicle

Id have to say I like the wings, seeing as it is one of the unusal things you can do with a helmet besides put a logo on it (to go with ram horns and bengal stripes) But With owls it didnt really fit to have the wings as much as with a name that would be like eagles or falcons or something.. Probably because when I think of Owls the first picture isnt really of there meanacing wings.

impossiblefp4.jpg

The World Basketball Championship, the Davis Cup, Ryder Cup, Iraq: Every day there's further proof that we, as a nation, are not very good at international competition.

Even though the Philadelphia Eagles have wings on their helmets (they were the first), I think it was still unique to see Rice have them on theirs. It was definitely different from most other college teams at least. Anyhow, the change will probably be a good one, based on the way the article described it. If they decide to go to the logo that was on the helmets during the late 70's/early 80's (before they moved to the current helmet), that would be even better.

I gotta say I love wings on helmets for bird named teams. Did Temple ever have wings on their's? I have the college helmet link somewhere. Ditto vikes and rams.

I can't say I've ever seen wings on Temple's helmets. If they did, it's before I can remember back. They've used the owl head, the full-body owl, the split block "T", and "TEMPLE" spelled out in block letters. I think it would come across as a blatant Eagles ripoff if they tried to sport wings, seeing how they share a city and a stadium with them.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

I'd kinda like to see Rice bring back their script logo to their football helmets, like they wore in 1976. However, I'd change the helmet color to silver and change the royal blue to navy.

rice.jpg

is it me or does that look alot like the old pitt script????

Archived