New Oklahoma State football uniforms for 06

doafhat

Oklahoma State will be changing uniforms for 2006, but thankfully we appear to be going the Georgia route and melding our classic look with Nike's new form-fitting cut and new materials. Word has it that they'll be modeled after the 80's Jimmy Johnson era uniforms, down to the block numbers and "Cowboys" on the front:

14MarkMoore.jpg

I'm not sure whether or not the road jerseys will say "Cowboys" or "Oklahoma State," I'm hoping that it will be the latter. It's also unclear whether or not player names will be returned to the back of the uniforms; they were removed for the 2005 season. The new uniforms will be replacing these that the Cowboys have worn since the 2001 season:

5DonovanASU.jpg

The Pokes have had a black alternate for the last two seasons, but they have [thankfully] never seen the light of day thanks to the players voting them down every time the question is brought up. A number of fans have been clamoring for the black alts, but I'm not sure if they'll be brought back for the 2006 season. Though the modern alternates have never been worn, a similar black alt was worn back in the early 90's:

14ToneJones.jpg

So is that ugly font a thing of the past, too, or only for football?

Well for the most part, the font's gone for football, but is staying everywhere else. I think the font looks pretty good in other sports, but in football - especially the number font - it just doesn't mesh.

The baseball team switched to Majestic uniforms this season and the "athletics font" only makes an appearance on the new black BP jerseys.

F147100.jpg

But one application of OSU's font that I think everyone can enjoy is the O on the pom squad's orange chaps B)

F147031.jpg

Was that black alt football uni a throwback? It looks like the last letter on the helmet is a "C". I'm impressed that OSU stuck with the three stripes on the sleeve and similar stripes on the pants for so long. I definitely associate them with orange more than any other color.

Was that black alt football uni a throwback?  It looks like the last letter on the helmet is a "C".  I'm impressed that OSU stuck with the three stripes on the sleeve and similar stripes on the pants for so long.  I definitely associate them with orange more than any other color.

Nope, the black alternate wasn't a throwback, just a black version of our normal orange uniforms worn during that era. The last letter in the brand logo on the helmet is a U, it's just distorted because of glare on the helmet. Here's another look at the 93-94 helmet:

14DavidThompson.jpg

It's about time. The font works a little bit, but the numbers look horrible in any sport where they've tried to use them.

I'm hoping they go back to the old helmet logo as well. It looked like a cattle brand, which ties into the Cowboys theme much better than the angled, modern monogram.

As someone who worked at OSU for the past 3 years, the new font is going nowhere. The new baseball uni's are not going to be around that long either, rumor was they were going to replicate the Robin Ventura era look. The reason they want one font is for consistency in marketing. I believe it takes a special exemption to be able to use a different font on uniforms. I agree that they need to update the football uni's to the new material. Would love for them to be very simple yet modern. And the helmets are good as they are.

Archived