Coach going mental

brinkeguthrie

Nice Mr. Borseth!

No coach should get away with that behavior.

staffordsigbuffda6.jpg

Owner of

Kalamazoo Tech Kobras (Nat'l College Fant. Assc. Basketball, Football, and Hockey)

2006-07 NCFAB National Champions

2006 NCFAF Midwest Conf. Champions

Rochester Patriots (Major League Hockey - AHL Fantasy League) 2005-06 Neilson Cup Champs

Detroit Black Panthers (Xtreme Hockey League) 2005-06 Yzerman Conference Champs

Sheldon Motorsports (TRAC) - #20 Guinness Chevy & #21 UPS Chevy #44 Syracuse University Chevy

Commissioner of

MLH (Major League Hockey, an AHL Fantasy League)

TRAC (Team Racing Auto Circuit, NASCAR)

Ahh, the power of a "T".

I had a coach mad at me the other night for lack of fouls called. Not mad enough to warrant a technical or anything, but enough to be mildly annoying.

At halftime he walks over to the scorer's table and pointes in the book. "See? 10 Fouls on us to 3 for them!".

My response?

"So? Stop fouling."

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Ahh, the power of a "T".

I had a coach mad at me the other night for lack of fouls called. Not mad enough to warrant a technical or anything, but enough to be mildly annoying.

At halftime he walks over to the scorer's table and pointes in the book. "See? 10 Fouls on us to 3 for them!".

My response?

"So? Stop fouling."

Perfect!

Sometime a team is simply more aggressive than the other.

I once had coach start the game with an aggressive full court press and actually asked a kid to foul late in the first half on purpose. When the second half begun, she asked me if we could start calling it both ways. I nearly laughed at her and simply told her we were and that her team was just more aggressive than the other.

staffordsigbuffda6.jpg

Owner of

Kalamazoo Tech Kobras (Nat'l College Fant. Assc. Basketball, Football, and Hockey)

2006-07 NCFAB National Champions

2006 NCFAF Midwest Conf. Champions

Rochester Patriots (Major League Hockey - AHL Fantasy League) 2005-06 Neilson Cup Champs

Detroit Black Panthers (Xtreme Hockey League) 2005-06 Yzerman Conference Champs

Sheldon Motorsports (TRAC) - #20 Guinness Chevy & #21 UPS Chevy #44 Syracuse University Chevy

Commissioner of

MLH (Major League Hockey, an AHL Fantasy League)

TRAC (Team Racing Auto Circuit, NASCAR)

foul6.jpg

Somebody needs a timeout at the Horizon League semifinal in Green Bay, where Wisconsin-Green Bay coach Kevin Borseth has just received a technical foul. Borseth can't seem to make referee Tim Gebhardt understand that this is a grave injustice.

Ugh... That's a little too close for comfort if I'm the ref.

Also, it makes a great quote moment...

foul6.jpg

'Dude! Cut down on the Garlic and Onion pizza, man.'

That merits a 2nd T. How did this episode fit into the context of the game? Was he trying to get T'd up to fire up his team, or was he getting jobbed by the refs (at least in his opinion)? Either way, he's over the line.

Hats off to the refs. I've done some refereeing and it is a thankless job. Everything that comes out of your mouth pisses off somebody, even when you're right. And most refs seem to take far more abuse than they deserve with equipoise. Last night at the end of the UNC-Duke game, Coach Ratface called a time out and ignored his huddle to scream at one of the refs over a perceived no-call (there was no contact on the play in question). Ted Valentine basically backed Coach K back into his huddle by boxing him out. Over his shoulder he told K to pipe down. He didn't turn and face him so everyone could see them going jaw to jaw; he even put his hand over his mouth so people could barely see them talking (although at the start you could see him say "Mike... MIKE... that's enough"). He could've T'd up Krzyzewski but didn't. He did his job, got the coach back to his huddle and got his point across to shut up and go coach. Kudos to good refereeing.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Today I had a fun game. I had a coach ride me from opening tipoff, making snide comments every trip down the court. I had enough of him early in the first period, and actually called a timeout to speak with him. I said "you coach your players, I'll ref the game". it was a 5th and 6th grade in-town rec league game, and he was complaining about a player marginally committing a 3-second violation.

One thing I hate is a coach yelling a call the split second before I do. It makes it look like the coach is calling the game, and actually makes it less likely I will make the call for that specific reason.

After the game, the coach comes up to me and says "I don't appreciate you yelling at me in front of my kids, it's very disrespectful to me. I coach because I love the game, you ref to make money".

Nice case of pot calling the kettle black. Fortunately, the site director overhead his little comment, and spoke with him for a while after the game, while I was officiating the next one.

Sorry to hijack. Just felt like sharing another funny anecdote.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Archived