Team USA WBC unis

ZoDogg34

Today Team USA played the Giants at Scottsdale Stadium.

USA wore their blue hats for BP but switched to the red hats for the game. (although they wore blue helmets)

They also wore blue undershirts, belts, and socks. I was hoping for an all red look to go with the hats but no such luck.

The other thing that bothered me was that many of the players were wearing those awful Nike undershirts with the star patterns on the elbows.

Interesting note: There was no WBC patch on the left sleeve, but they still had the the backwards USA flag on the right sleeve.

There was a small WBC logo over the players' names on the back of the jersey, similar to where the MLB logo is on MLB unis.

461269.jpeg

but they still had the the backwards USA flag on the right sleeve.

The flag is facing the correct direction. Flags that are on the right side of uniforms or vehicles have the Union (blue) on the right. That way, the flag appears as it would were it flying freely as the person or vehicle is moving forward.

Hat Boy's got it nailed. Union always facing toward the front. That's why you'll see a "backward" flag on the right side of Air Force One.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

The flag is facing the correct direction. Flags that are on the right side of uniforms or vehicles have the Union (blue) on the right. That way, the flag appears as it would were it flying freely as the person or vehicle is moving forward.

This is not mentioned anywhere in the US Flag Code. It's one thing in the scenario you're talking about where there are flags on both sides of an airplane or a car... but when there is only one flag patch on the uniform, and it's backwards, it looks COMPLETELY ridiculous. I would never buy a USA WBC jersey just because of that stupid patch.

AstrosTransitionsSig.gif

The flag is facing the correct direction.  Flags that are on the right side of uniforms or vehicles have the Union (blue) on the right.  That way, the flag appears as it would were it flying freely as the person or vehicle is moving forward.

This is not mentioned anywhere in the US Flag Code. It's one thing in the scenario you're talking about where there are flags on both sides of an airplane or a car... but when there is only one flag patch on the uniform, and it's backwards, it looks COMPLETELY ridiculous. I would never buy a USA WBC jersey just because of that stupid patch.

It's a part of military regs. All soldiers wearing a flag patch wear it that way. So I'm inferring you think all military personnel look ridiculous. Do you hate America, or just freedom in general? (<-- OBVIOUS sarcasm. It's a Bill Maher joke. I don't think you hate soldiers, America, freedom, mom, apple pie, baseball, etc.)

American Legion baseball players wear the patch that way too. The flag patch is a part of the requirements of the uniform. The union must face front, just like on a military uniform.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

So I'm inferring you think all military personnel look ridiculous.

If you have a flag on each sleeve and they are both pointing in the same direction I find it more acceptable. When you have only one patch, and it's backwards, it looks ridiculous. An easy solution would have been to put the flag patch on the left sleeve.

Oh, and last I checked, the USA baseball team wasn't fighting a war, so I don't know why we're using military uniform rules. The Padres might think they are with their camouflage unis, but not the US team.

AstrosTransitionsSig.gif

An easy solution would have been to put the flag patch on the left sleeve.

I totally concur. They should go with a patch on the left sleeve. I don't know why, and maybe this is related to right-brain/left-brain or conditioning from years of seeing it, but I always think of the teams wearing their primary patch on the left sleeve. I've done some uni design, and I always naturally think of the patch going on the left sleeve. Maybe it's a natural thing to unclutter the right sleeve since most of the players are right-handed and the patch could eventually feel awkward.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

This is not mentioned anywhere in the US Flag Code.  It's one thing in the scenario you're talking about where there are flags on both sides of an airplane or a car... but when there is only one flag patch on the uniform, and it's backwards, it looks COMPLETELY ridiculous.

I thought it was in the flag code, but I looked and didn't find it there.

I did find this on ther internet, but it is an Army regualtion for Army uniforms.

Army Regulation 670-1, ?Wear and Appearance of Army Uniforms and Insignia,? updated most recently September 5, 2003, addresses explicitly the proper and lawful placement of the U.S. flag patch on the Army uniform.

The regulation states that when authorized for application to the proper uniform the American flag patch is to be worn, right or left shoulder, so that ?the star field faces forward, or to the flag?s own right. When worn in this manner, the flag is facing to the observer?s right, and gives the effect of the flag flying in the breeze as the wearer moves forward. The appropriate replica for the right shoulder sleeve is identified as the ?reverse side flag?.?

I found this on ushistory.org, but it is concerning vehicles. It does not list a reference.

The flag decals have the union (the blue area with the stars) on the side closer to the front of the plane. On the plane's left, the decal shows the flag with the union at the left, as usual. On the plane's right side, the union is on the right. This is done so that the flag looks as if it is blowing in the wind created by the forward movement. You can see this on cars and trucks as well.

I like the flag on the right shoulder, it looks unique.

BUT, why does the flag have that awful gold trim on it? Flags don't have gold trim, but yet they always do on military and boy scout uniforms/kits.

Oh, and the US hat is pretty weak. Why are the fonts on the hat italicized? And not on the jersey? The hat should just have a cool star logo.

I like the flag on the right shoulder, it looks unique.

BUT, why does the flag have that awful gold trim on it? Flags don't have gold trim, but yet they always do on military and boy scout uniforms/kits.

Oh, and the US hat is pretty weak. Why are the fonts on the hat italicized? And not on the jersey? The hat should just have a cool star logo.

I believe Miltary Flags have gold trim.

They should put the flag on the other sleeve.

Okay people, the flag being backwards may look a little odd, but it makes sense so get over it. Back to the uniform overall, I'm really not a fan, and it doesn't say "USA" to me at all. It looks like an Angels road uniform. Why the heck would they go with red hats? When there's not enough blue to even it out it looks way off. The only case I think a red hat would be acceptable is with a blue jersey. I was also disappointed to see them recycling the same USA script logo on the jerseys from all international competitions in recent years. I was hoping they'd come up with something new. Oh well, not like I'll be watching anyway...*flips back to hockey*

Turns out all of the WBC teams have their flag on the right arm.

Why doesn't the US baseball team use the same logo as the US hockey team? Shouldn't a country have standardized unis?

Just throwing that topic out there.

Because they are not national logos. They are logo for organizations. The hockey logo is for USA Hockey and the baseball is for USA Baseball. The 2 organizations have nothing to do with each other.

Because they are not national logos. They are logo for organizations. The hockey logo is for USA Hockey and the baseball is for USA Baseball. The 2 organizations have nothing to do with each other.

I know this.

Why doesn't the US Olympic commitee come up with a standard set for all amateur sports representing our country?

Because USA Baseball, US Hocke,y etc. are all self governing bodies that run under the guidance of the USOC.

It's sort of like ACC, A-10, WCC, etc, and NCAA. The NCAA concerns itself more the policies and sanctioning than the day-to-day operations.

Archived