Kirby and Steroids

bucskick20

A lot of people have been saying Kirby taking steroids. It is possible that he took some after his career to help with pain and heeling in his eye. I severly doubt he took steroids during his career. He never looked like a player who took steroids. He was no McGuire or Giambi who started out the size of a highschooler and 2 years later was huge.

Please respect Kirby for what he's done, don't make false accusasions about drug use.

256dy87.jpg

Whether he did or didn't...now isn't the time for that stuff to be discussed. Let's just let the man rest in peace.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

The bad memories are just a part of his life as the good ones. I don't buy into that "let's brush any thoughts aside because he just died" garbage. If you're going to remember the man's life, then you have to take in the negative with the positive.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Just because he died at an early age, he took steroids? Give the man a break.

No, the rumors are reporting a connection between steroids and his glaucoma, which caused his early retirement. It's not known at this time if any of that was related to his stroke.

Just because he died at an early age, he took steroids?  Give the man a break.

No, the rumors are reporting a connection between steroids and his glaucoma, which caused his early retirement. It's not known at this time if any of that was related to his stroke.

Care to show us some of them-thus far I think you're the only one I've seen who's insinuated that.

(Kind of like me being the only guy who believes Big Papi is on the juice.)

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Just because he died at an early age, he took steroids?  Give the man a break.

Care to show us some of them-thus far I think you're the only one I've seen who's insinuated that.

(Kind of like me being the only guy who believes Big Papi is on the juice.)

I don't remember specifically where I heard about that alleged connection. It was either online or on the radio, but it was mentioned a few times. I can't say I believe it, but it's just one of the conspiracy theories that exists. I don't think they're meant to be spiteful, but it all may be parts of the whole that made him a different person in retirement than as a player.

Personally, I think the way he let his body go after retirement had more to do with the stroke than anything else.

Couldn't the eye injury that developed into Glaucoma be connected with a certain fastball from one Dennis Martinez? I'd always thought that the injury he sustained from that injury brought about the slow destruction of his optical nerve which lead to glaucoma. Perhaps I'm wrong. I certainly don't have any medical training.

Still, from the Robert Taylor Projects of Chicago to the Major Leagues, to the Hall of Fame and when baseball was taken from him it killed him inside. He started drinking, gained a ton of weight and just went into a downward spiral. I've heard that some people suspect the only times he was happy in his last years were when he was doing baseball related things (helping the Twins, working Hall of Fame week, etc).

His story from childhood to Hall of Fame is one for the ages. The man he was during his playing days, though, is miles from the man he was after baseball. That has to be acknowledged. No matter what kind of man he might have been in his last years, he's a human being. People cared for him. He died too young. I think that says enough.

-Daniel
Check Out My Podcast! Latest Episode 273: The Color Blinky
Latest Photo Upload: January 7, 2012

I seriously doubt Kirby ever took steroids. He wasn't really a powerhitter. He only hit like 200 homeruns in 12 seasons and I don't think steroids increase your batting average or help you win Gold Gloves. He could hit and he could play outfield and was a good teammate and mentor.

I once had a car but I crashed it. I once had a guitar but I smashed it. I once, wait where am I going with this?

I seriously doubt Kirby ever took steroids. He wasn't really a powerhitter. He only hit like 200 homeruns in 12 seasons and I don't think steroids increase your batting average or help you win Gold Gloves. He could hit and he could play outfield and was a good teammate and mentor.

exactly

256dy87.jpg

I don't think it's completely crazy to think that maybe a 5'9 210 lb. guy took steroids when he played. His first full season he hit only 4 HRs then came back with 31 the next year. His power stats weren't monumental but they could have been augmented. Steroid abuse could contribute to a stroke, as well. On the other hand, he was overweight and did have a family history of early deaths. I think the speculation about 'roids is just a reflection on the state of the game over the last decade and change, and any time something like this happens to a player of this era it will come up.

I think the speculation about 'roids is just a reflection on the state of the game over the last decade and change, and any time something like this happens to a player of this era it will come up.

Exactly. Until the day people forget about baseball, everytime someone brings up a name for Hall of Fame voting, or everytime someone dies (especially early) anybody who played professional baseball from the mid 1980's to around 2004 or so, there will be that question. It's something that the powers that be will have to live with because they created it by turning a blind eye for so long.

I've decided to give up hope for all sports teams I follow

I was looking at Kirby Puckett baseball cards.

He wasn't that much smaller as a rookie. He actually looked more "jacked."

He just seemed to get fatter over the years.

So, I don't think he was on the juice.

Yes.

When Kirby came up he was chubby, but he had some big guns. I saw footage of him flexing in the locker room and thought "why no Home Runs?" (He had not had his breakout HR year yet). So if he did 'roids, it was probably from a very young age, because he (unlike some) did not get bigger seemingly overnight. Though he did get gradually more "chubby."

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

The bad memories are just a part of his life as the good ones. I don't buy into that "let's brush any thoughts aside because he just died" garbage. If you're going to remember the man's life, then you have to take in the negative with the positive.

I totally agree with your statement. Especially where you said the word "memories." Look, I think anything the man has done was fair game. Bring up his "issues" with women, fine. But don't bring up steroids. There is no proof, and I haven't heard a single damn bit of talk about Kirby and steroids other than the crap I've seen on these boards. It's bull.

Talk about what he did, positive AND negative, but don't make up :censored:.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Archived