Az cardinals name change rumor

TruColor

Eck... that would be the only NFL team with a non-plural name. (As in Browns or Jaguars, as opposed to Magic or Brigade). The Cavalry? How lame. Someone on that board suggested the name Firebirds (or maybe even Firehawks) as a nod to the myth of the Phoenix since the Cards suck so bad... I think that's a nice idea.

I think its actaully a good idea this franchise has been so historically terrible taht moving int a new stadium of their own for the first tim in franchise history presents an oppertunity for a fresh start and no team perhaps needs to turn the page more then the NFL Cardinals.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

I say leave it alone. Sure, change the jerseys. Leave the name. There's too much history (mostly bad, but still history) associated with the Cardinals name. Not many people know it, but this is the NFL's oldest franchise. The Cardinals actually predate the Packers by more than 20 years, and nobody wants to change anything about the Packers...leave the Cardinals be.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

I say leave it alone. Sure, change the jerseys. Leave the name. There's too much history (mostly bad, but still history) associated with the Cardinals name. Not many people know it, but this is the NFL's oldest franchise. The Cardinals actually predate the Packers by more than 20 years, and nobody wants to change anything about the Packers...leave the Cardinals be.

I agree, leave the name. Sure the cardinals have been bad over much of their history, but maybe the new stadium can change all that! From the animated images, it looks awesome!

I saw, I came, I left.

Being a long-suffering Cards fan since 1969, I'm a little torn on this issue...I want new uniforms, but I can't decide about the name...if they were to change, I still think (and I've maintained this for years) that "Firebirds" is the way to go...they could even just use a modified version of the bird-head logo as well.

Anyway, for those who don't believe that the Cards' new stadium will be built, check this out:

Stadium WebCam

I'm on there every day...

Anyway, for those who don't believe that the Cards' new stadium will be built, check this out:

Stadium WebCam

I don't know Pantone...looks like it could just be a highway overpass from that picture.

You sure the Bidwill's aren't just using their stadium money to make a high-speed getaway to LA?

"I still think a tag team of Jimmy B and Melo could kick the :censored: out of Jesus and God."

Syracuse Orangemen

2003 National Champions

Being a long-suffering Cards fan since 1969, I'm a little torn on this issue...I want new uniforms, but I can't decide about the name...if they were to change, I still think (and I've maintained this for years) that "Firebirds" is the way to go...they could even just use a modified version of the bird-head logo as well.

Stadium WebCam

I personally think they just need to revamp their Cardinals identity. However. I have one heck of an idea on paper for them to be the Firebirds. You might have it in your head to from your wording PANTONE...

Wow.. that stadium design looks.. uh.. well.. I guess, absolutely, colosally retarded are  the only words that come to mind. It looks like a robotic, alien tree stump. Hmmm... well I guess it fits a team like the Cardinals who can't help but be the joke of the NFL anyway. As far as the name goes, I like the idea of becoming the Firebirds. It would just be cool to see a team that changes their name with meaning and for a reason as opposed to just for the hell of it after a move. I understand the history of the organization, but I think that's why a change to the firebirds is cool because it maintains history while still moving forward as opposed to just renaming themselves the "Rattlers" or the "Diablos" or some other completely arbitrary name.

the cardianls are the oldest team in football history. do they need a new uniform? yes. a name change? no, because that would be a slap to the face of tradition. if everyone wants a team in phoenix named the firbirds, outlaws, whatever, then move the cardianls back to chicago and have them share a stadium with the bears. tehn bring in a new expansion team named whatever. just keep the cardinals the cardinals.

the cardianls are the oldest team in football history. do they need a new uniform? yes. a name change? no, because that would be a slap to the face of tradition. if everyone wants a team in phoenix named the firbirds, outlaws, whatever, then move the cardianls back to chicago and have them share a stadium with the bears. tehn bring in a new expansion team named whatever. just keep the cardinals the cardinals.

Oh great, bring the Cardinals back to Chicago! If you want to stink the joint twice, there's no better way!  :D

I saw, I came, I left.

Are Condors indigineous to Arizona?

Something to do with the HEAT - I've been there during the Summer - boy it's hot.

Vultures would be fitting.  Outlaws or bandits if they want a "person mascot".  Isn't there a MFA fantasy team from the CC Boards called the Arizona Outlaws?

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

I wish I had a dollar for every time I have heard the Arizona Firebirds suggestion.  I'd have at least twelve bucks.   :D   There were a number of stories circulating during the late 70's and early 80's regarding a proposed NFL expansion team for Phoenix.  The one I heard most frequently and was able to partially verify (I went to law school with the daughter of one of the people committed to being a minority investor) involves Bart Starr.  Apparently, shortly after he was fired as the coach of the Packers, Starr became the frontman for a group of investors attempting to lure an NFL expansion franchise to Phoenix.  The team was going to be called the Arizona Firebirds.  At this time, the league wasn't even considering expansion because they were in the middle of a lawsuit with the USFL (who had a team in Phoenix) and were also preoccupied with the Colts moving to Indy and the Jets threatening to leave New York.  The group stuck around for nearly 5 years and apparently had a full campaign put together including proposed uniforms and a plan for a downtown stadium.  Supposedly the NFL was close to considering giving the group conditional approval to join the league and then open the bidding for a second expansion site.  Clearly there would have been legal challenges to this plan but it never got that far because Bill Bidwill decided to plop his team down in Phoenix.  The league was encouraging Bidwill to consider Jacksonville and Baltimore and leave Phoenix for the expansion group but Bill Bidwill being Bill Bidwill . . .

Therefore, I don't think there's a real chance that the team would change its name to Firebirds.  There's also the issue of the Indiana Firebirds of the Arena League (which is partially within the NFL domain) laying claim to the nickname.  I don't think the NFL would approve of a name that could infringe on the trademark rights of an affiliated property.

i say change the name. tradition didn't seem to big a big deal when the Oilers and the Browns got wacked. I know the Browns are back, but still you get my point. New name, new logo, and new unis will be a good start. Talk about curses, i think the cards have the curse of the Bidwell.

• LMU locked this topic

Archived