Former nations hockey concepts

IceCap

Hey, I've been studying European history this past year, and it has inspired me to start a new project: to design national team hockey uniforms for nations that no longer exist. For the sake of creativity and good taste, I will not use the swift template.

So far I have completed two concepts, basing their designs off of the flags of their respective countries.

First off, the Holy Roman Empire, 962-1806:

Flag, used until the HRE's end in 1806 & uniform

HREflag2.png

HREuniforms.png

Background

The HRE was at some points Europe's strongest nation, and at times its weakest. At its hight it controlled all of Germany, Austria, Northern Italy, Switzerland, and western Poland, with Austria as its dominating member. Infact the Austrian king (the Habsburg dynasty) was always crowned HRE. After the 30 Years War all the other German states gained independence. After this, until its fall, Austria centred the HRE's control over modern day Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, and the Balkins. In 1806 the newly crowned French Emperor Napoleon defeated the HRE, forcing them to drop the title. Until 1867 it was known as the Austrian Empire, when they changed the name to the Austro-Hungarian Empire. This lasted until WWI when the Habsburg's empire was finally disolved. Only the small republic of Austria remains.

The idea behind this country was that it was the continuation of the Roman Empire (this claim was also held by the Russian Empire and Byzantine Empire. Only the Byzantine claim is ligit). So basically the HRE was the Austrian king attaching a cool and important sounding name to his kingdom. Never the less, the HRE is one of history's greatest nations.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Commonwealth of England and Scotland (Sometimes refered to as the Commonwealth of Great Britain or the British Protectorate), 1649-1660:

Flag used on and off a national flag from 1649-1660, uniform

BCflag.png

BCuniforms.png

Background

After a long dispute with Parlament, Charles I of Great Britain went to war with the elected legislator. Led by Oliver Cromwell the Parlamentary forces eventually won, and beheaded Charles I. Britain was declared a Commonwealth (at the time Commonwealth ment Republic). Crowell was elected the head of the Committe of State, and quickly became a military dictator. In 1653 he was decalred Lord Protector of the Commonwealth of England and Scotland. Crowell is double blanded sword. On one hand he let the Jews back into Britain, who had been expelled since the reign of Edward I. Also, despite being a military dictator, he only ruled with consent of Parlament, setting the blueprint of today's constitutional monarchary. Also, during his reign Britain reached new military heights and gained new respect throughout Europe. On top of all that, he is credited as the father of the modern British army. However he is also the first dictator of the modern era to use secret police, the Major Generals. Cromwell reigned until his death in 1659, when he died of natural causes. His son Richard ruled as Lord Protector for a year, but proved incompatent. It was in 1660 that Richard was done away with, and the son of Charles I, Charles II was asked to come back from France to be king.

As a history major, gotta say I'm diggin' the project. I like the HRE, and the British one is a little loud, but I like it too.

Let's see some Yugoslavia, Czechoslovakia, Ottoman Empire, Prussia, South Vietnam, and North Yemen!

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

now THAT'S being creative. solid work icecap. I think I did a ussr concept once. I have read up on most of the former countries mentioned by the49erfan15, and I can't wait to see what you come up with

Thanks for the kind words. I plan on doing a Roman Empire one next. I will not be countries that actually had a hockey team, like the Soviet Union, but I may do one for the Russian Empire. Likewise I will not be doing Czechoslovakia, but I will do Bohemia.

After the Roman Empire I plan on doing the Ottoman Empire, the French Empire (Napoleaon's reign), and the Kingdom of Prussia. The French Empire might be a two-for-one deal that also includes the Kingdom of France. The nations metioned by 49ersfan that I didn't originally intend on doing (Yugoslavia*, South Vietnam, and North Yemen) all sound intresting, and I would love to try my hand at them after I'm done with the concepts I originally planned on doing.

*I want to do a Yugoslavia concept, but I only want to do nations that never had a national hockey team. I'm pretty sure Yugoslavia never had one (at least not a major one), but I'm going to look into that.

This is great! I did something like this once, basing jersey designs off of flags (I dont think I ever posted them here). It's fun, and I love that H.R.E. unie! The number font compliments the cross nicely. This could get exciting.

Put Your Hands up For Detroit (our lovely city)

The Ottoman Empire, 1299-1922:

Flag, still used by Turkey today, and uniforms

OEflag.png

OEuniforms.png

Background

The Ottoman Empire can trace its roots back to the Turkish invasion of the middle east.

Shortly after Mohammed had started the Islamic religion, the Muslims sweept through the middle east and northern Africa, and had established a Muslim empire, with the Byzantine Empire to the north in present day Turkey. Both empires came to an end when a central Asian tribe called the Turks came sweeping in. All though they converted to Islam, the Turks put an end to the Islamic empire and took control of the middle east and north Africa by 1299 when the Ottoman Empire was established, with the Turks as the ruling class. In 1453 the Ottoman Empire conqured the Byzantine Empire, ending the last remanent of old Rome. The Ottoman Empire reached its hight in 1683 when it controlled Turkey, most of the middle east, most of north Africa, and the Balkins.

There is actually a good chance that the Ottoman Empire would still be around in some capacity, had they not made a stupid decision in WWI. Late in the game they through their hat in with the Central Powers (Germany, Austro-Hungarian Empire). All though the Ottomans lost no land (and succesully turned back the one major attempt to invade them) they ended the war on the losing side. In the aftermath of the war, the Ottoman's middle east and north Africa possesions were taken as British, Italian, and French colonies. Turkey became a secular republic, abolishing the monarchy. Hence WWI ended two great empires, both of which are featured here in concept form: the Ottoman Empire and the Austro-Hungarian Empire (which had existed as the HRE from 962-1806, and as the Austrian Empire from 1806-1867).

heh, as long as you're doing former nations, let's see what you can do with Zaire...or the Republic of Texas

Hmm, Zaire, sounds intresting. Have to admit, the logo on their flag would make an excellent hockey crest. As for the Republic of Texas, well sign them up, there on my to do list :D

Ment to thank you for those nations, Moresnet and Saxony are deffently on my to do list.

Wow!!! I like alots history, vexillology (study of flags) and sports and this topic is a funny mess for my head!

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, I know it's been a while. Anyway I'm finally ready to unvail my concept for the greatest empire the ancient world had ever known.

Roman Empire, 27 BCE-1453 CE

Mock-up of an Imperial Roman banner, thanks JQK!, and uniofrms

REflag.png

*The Roman Empire never had a flag or imperial banner. Each Roman legion would carry a standard that dipicted the emblem of the empire: an eagle pearched ontop of a banner with the letters "SPQR" which stood for "The Senate and People of Rome" (The Roman Empire maintained the senate of the old republic). Gold and purple were the colours most associated with the senate and emperor. Thanks to JQK for the mock-up of what would be very close to an Imperial Roman flag, if they had one.

REunis3.png

Background

The Roman Empire rose out the ashes of the Roman Republic, which was destroyed due to almost a century of civil war. Julius Caesar was decalred dictator of the Republic for 10 years, in an attempt to stabalize things. He was assiantaed shortly after. In the civil war that followed, Caeser's nephew and adopted son Octavian took power. He was crowned Caeser Augustus, first Emperor of Rome. The Senate was maintained, but now the Council (leader of the Senate) was to be appointed by the Emperor, not elected by the Senate. Around 395 the empire split in two, one in the west (with the capital in Rome) and one in the east (with a capital in Constantinople). The Western Roman Empire would fall in 476, while the Eastern Roman Empire, later named the Byzantine Empire, would fall in 1453 when it was overtaken by the Ottoman Empire. Despite both the claims of the Russian and Holy Roman empires, the fall of the Byzantine Empire marked the final end of Imperial Rome.

I love the concepts and I think this is a great idea. I am kinda bummed that you already have plans to do more though. Reason being, I'd absolutely love to try my hand at something like this. If you wouldn't mind too terribly, I'd love to attempt a set for Prussia and maybe the Kingdom of Italy... what do ya say?

I love the concepts and I think this is a great idea.  I am kinda bummed that you already have plans to do more though.  Reason being, I'd absolutely love to try my hand at something like this.  If you wouldn't mind too terribly, I'd love to attempt a set for Prussia and maybe the Kingdom of Italy...  what do ya say?

Sure, go ahead. I'm still going to do a Prussia concept myself, but feel free to post yours.

How about adding Austria-Hungary to the list?

See the Holy Roman Empire. It's pratically the same country, the Habsburg's empire centred in Austria. Up until 1806 they used the name "Holy Roman Empire" for their empire, claiming they were the continuation of Imperial Rome. After losding to Napoleon in 1806, they were forced to drop any claims that they were the Roman Empire of old. So they then just went by the name Austrian Empire. By 1867 the Hungarian nobility was gaining power (Hungary was an essentail peice of the empire) and they were granted a compromise, where the Austrian emperor would be dually crowned as Hungarian emperor. Also, the Hungarian parliment gained equal footing with their Austrian counterparts. With all this change came a new name for the empire, the Austro-Hungarian Empire.

one of my favorite stories of the roman empire was when one of the emperors i think Caligula, had such contempt for the senate that he replaced one of the senators with a horse and put the horse in the senators seat and said to the effect "The horse has more common sense than the entire senate body" or something like that. obviously not much has changed since the roman empire days. :D

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

one of my favorite stories of the roman empire was when one of the emperors i think Caligula, had such contempt for the senate that he replaced one of the senators with a horse and put the horse in the senators seat and said to the effect "The horse has more common sense than the entire senate body" or something like that. obviously not much has changed since the roman empire days. :D

Yeah, he named his horse Council, or head of the Seanate. Caligula also marched his army to the English Channel. They all thopught he was going to invade Britain, but when they got to the shore he ordered them to pick up sea shells and return to Rome.

Archived