Former nations hockey concepts

IceCap

Kingdom of Prussia, 1701-1871

Flag, uniforms

KPflag.png

KPunis.png

Background

Prussia gained its independents from the Holy Roman Empire after the 30 Years War, when the electorate of Prussia, Elector Fredrick Wilhelm I turned on the Holy Roman Empire to help the Protistant forces. Fredrick Wilhelm became the first leader of an independent Prussia, the Electorate of Prussia. He got a large montary reward from the victors of the 30 Years War. His son, Fredrick, was able to use that money to turn the Electorate of Prussia into the Kingdom of Prussia, and to crown himself King Fredrick I of Prussia. He would blow the entire fourtune of his father holdering large parties and building huge palaces to try and earn the respect of Europe's other monarchs. He would live into his 80's, something very rare at the time. Since he lived to be so old, he outlived almost all of his wives, non of which gave him an hier. Finally, when he was 80, he married an 18 year old princess from a neighboring kingdom. She gave birth to a son, Fredrik Wilhelm. The 18 year old queen, however, was insane. One day she ran through the palace naked, and threw herself through a large window, killing herself. King Fredrick I died soon after. His son, Fredrik Wilhelm, was crowned King Fredrick Wilhelm I. He took power himself when he was 15. Through a combination of being cheap and efficiant he regained the furtune his father had blown. He also built the most well trained army in Europe, which he passed onto his son, Fredrick II, Fredrick the Great.

Fredrick the Great would go onto being Europe's greatest general until Napoleaon. He went to war with the Holy Roman Empire, and won a large chunk of land easaly. He then was able to defeate a combined force of France, Russia, and the Holy Roman Empire, cementing Prussia as a military power.

Prussia would continue on, eventually becoming the most powerful of all the independent German states. After getting humbled by Napoleaon, the Prussian army was rebuilt, stronger then ever. This new and improved army helped the British finally take down Napoleaon.

In 1870 Prussia lead a coalition of German states against the Second French Empire, and won a remarkable victory, even taking the French Emperor Napoleaon III hostage. The Franko-Prussian War would mean the end of the French Empire for good. It also allowed Prussia to unite all the German states in the German Empire, which lasted until its defeate in WWI.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i love this, you get to see what the former countries would have worn had hockey existed in their time and you get a history lesson. probably the funnest concept series ^_^ .

since we are on the german theme, would the kingdom of bavaria the kingdom King Ludwig the II bankrupted count in this series?

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

This whole concept is fantastic.

And if I may, here are a few other suggestions on hockey uniforms for nations that no longer exist:

The Republic of Texas

The kingdom of France (you know, where the last king and queen got their heads chopped off)

Czarist Russia

The old kingdom of Spain (you know, as in Isabella and Ferdinand)

Cromwellian England

The empire of China

The Republic of Texas

The kingdom of France (you know, where the last king and queen got their heads chopped off)

Czarist Russia

The old kingdom of Spain (you know, as in Isabella and Ferdinand)

Cromwellian England

The empire of China

All are great ideas. The Kingdom of Spain may be tricky, because technically that kingdom has been restored. As for Cromwellian England, already did it. It's the second concept on page one.

As for everything else, yeah, I can do 'em. These are actually pretty fun.

You did ancient rome.

How about ancient Egypt or Imperial China

I would love to. China wouldn't be a problem, as there was an actual imperial banner for me to base a jersey off of (colours, logos, etc...). Egypt would be a little harder, as far as I know, there was no banner or flag. Infact I wouldn't have been able to do Rome if JQK hadn't made a mock-up of what an Imperial Roman banner might of looked like, based on his knowledge of the Roman Empire. If anyone whants to do something simular with ancient Egypt, I would very much appreciate it.

since we are on the german theme, would the kingdom of bavaria the kingdom King Ludwig the II bankrupted count in this series?

Possibly. I would have to see if Barvaria was an idependent nation at the time of King Ludwig II. If it was part of the HRE at the time, I won't do it. I did Prussia because it gained independents from the HRE after the 30 Years War. If the same is true for Bavaria, then I'll do it.

Excellent creativity. Congrats. Thank you sinserely for the history lesson.

No problem, to quote George Carlin "I'm here to entertain and inform." :D

Thanks for the complaments so far, I look forward to continuing this project.

Possibly. I would have to see if Barvaria was an idependent nation at the time of King Ludwig II. If it was part of the HRE at the time, I won't do it. I did Prussia because it gained independents from the HRE after the 30 Years War. If the same is true for Bavaria, then I'll do it.

Actually, Habsburg rule over the HRE was so weakened by the Treaty of Westphalia after the end of the thirty years war that most of the individual political entities that made up the HRE were effectively independent states. I don't know if many of them were granted "independence" but I think you could stretch the diefinition enough for Bavaria etc.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Actually, Habsburg rule over the HRE was so weakened by the Treaty of Westphalia after the end of the thirty years war that most of the individual political entities that made up the HRE were effectively independent states. I don't know if many of them were granted "independence" but I think you could stretch the diefinition enough for Bavaria etc.

The 30 Years War freed most of the German states from HRE rule. The HRE then just centred its power over Bohemia, Hungary, and the Balkins. Barvaria, being German, probablly was able to assert its independence. I'll look into it, but I'll probablly do them last if I decide to do them at all. Even if they did manage to get free of the HRE, they never made as big an impact as Prussia did, an other terrirory that gained independence from the HRE after the 30 Years War.

• 1 month later...

Bavaria was an independant Kingdom even before the Thirty Years War. The Bavarians were a key ally in the Imperial campaigns in the opening phases of the war in Germany. They were independant all the way until 1871, when they became a constituient kingdom in the German Empire, headed by the King of Prussia. Even in World War I, the Kingdom of Bavaria had individual units within the framework of the Imperial German Army.

Historical quibble: They HRE was never a true nation state, but rather was a glorified confederation. It was disbanded by Austrian emperor Francis II in response to Napoleon's victories in Europe, as he feared that if Napoleon defeated the Austrians, Napoleon would assume the throne of the HRE, and possibly Austria by extension. Shortly before this, Francis had created the Empire of Austria in response to Napoleon's proclimation of the French Empire in 1804.

By 1867, the Empire became a dual monarchy as the kingdom of Hungary was elevated to equal standing with the Austrian throne (with the Austrian monarch also holding the throne of Hungary, of course), making it the Austro-Hungarian Empire, which lasted until 1918.

Oh, and the Emperor of the HRE wasn't automatically the Habsburg emperor. The Emperor was elected by the 7-9 electors of the largest principalities in the HRE. Heck, one of the Emperors, Charles I, was the King of Spain. Being a Habsburg tended to help his case though. :)

Vexilological madness! http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/flags/ah.html

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Oh, and the Emperor of the HRE wasn't automatically the Habsburg emperor. The Emperor was elected by the 7-9 electors of the largest principalities in the HRE. Heck, one of the Emperors, Charles I, was the King of Spain. Being a Habsburg tended to help his case though. :)

Yes, but by the time of Charles V the Habsburgs had essentially rigged/gamed/inbred the electoral process so that the Habsburg heir would become the Holy Roman Emperor. Granted in the mid-18th Century when they were down to Marie-Therese a non-Habsburg was elected (because women could not hold the office of Holy Roman Emperor). Otherwise...Habsburgs until the end.

Also, Charles I of Spain was a Habsburg (the aforementioned Charles V).

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Oh, and the Emperor of the HRE wasn't automatically the Habsburg emperor. The Emperor was elected by the 7-9 electors of the largest principalities in the HRE. Heck, one of the Emperors, Charles I, was the King of Spain. Being a Habsburg tended to help  his case though. :)

Yes, but by the time of Charles V the Habsburgs had essentially rigged/gamed/inbred the electoral process so that the Habsburg heir would become the Holy Roman Emperor. Granted in the mid-18th Century when they were down to Marie-Therese a non-Habsburg was elected (because women could not hold the office of Holy Roman Emperor). Otherwise...Habsburgs until the end.

Also, Charles I of Spain was a Habsburg (the aforementioned Charles V).

Of course. I hope I didn't insinuate otherwise. :)

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Hey, I know it's been a while. Anyway I'm finally ready to unvail my concept for the greatest empire the ancient world had ever known.

Roman Empire, 27 BCE-1453 CE

Mock-up of an Imperial Roman banner, thanks JQK!, and uniofrms

REflag.png

*The Roman Empire never had a flag or imperial banner. Each Roman legion would carry a standard that dipicted the emblem of the empire: an eagle pearched ontop of a banner with the letters "SPQR" which stood for "The Senate and People of Rome" (The Roman Empire maintained the senate of the old republic). Gold and purple were the colours most associated with the senate and emperor. Thanks to JQK for the mock-up of what would be very close to an Imperial Roman flag, if they had one.

REunis3.png

Background

The Roman Empire rose out the ashes of the Roman Republic, which was destroyed due to almost a century of civil war. Julius Caesar was decalred dictator of the Republic for 10 years, in an attempt to stabalize things. He was assiantaed shortly after. In the civil war that followed, Caeser's nephew and adopted son Octavian took power. He was crowned Caeser Augustus, first Emperor of Rome. The Senate was maintained, but now the Council (leader of the Senate) was to be appointed by the Emperor, not elected by the Senate. Around 395 the empire split in two, one in the west (with the capital in Rome) and one in the east (with a capital in Constantinople). The Western Roman Empire would fall in 476, while the Eastern Roman Empire, later named the Byzantine Empire, would fall in 1453 when it was overtaken by the Ottoman Empire. Despite both the claims of the Russian and Holy Roman empires, the fall of the Byzantine Empire marked the finally end of Imperial Rome.

I've been to the Colisium,and I don't think it could host hockey. :P

Historical quibble: They HRE was never a true nation state, but rather was a glorified confederation. It was disbanded by Austrian emperor Francis II in response to Napoleon's victories in Europe, as he feared that if Napoleon defeated the Austrians, Napoleon would assume the throne of the HRE, and possibly Austria by extension. Shortly before this, Francis had created the Empire of Austria in response to Napoleon's proclimation of the French Empire in 1804.

Actually, at some points in history (most notablly during the periode just before the 30 Years War, and just before the Napolionic Wars) the Holy Roman Empire was essentually a single state. It started to weaken after they lost the 30 Years War.

Just before the Napoleonic Wars the HRE was actually united as a single entity. It was centred in Austria, of course, but also included Bohemia, Hungary, and parts of the Balikins. Also it wasn't Francis II who disolved the HRE. When Napoleon created the French Empire it pissed Francis II off, who's family had held the title "Emperor" since the biggining of the HRE. This was one of the HRE's main reasosns for joining the anti-Napoleon alliance. When the HRE met the French Empire on the field, the French crushed them two or three times. Finally Napoleon forced Francis II drop the title HRE from his holdings. Napoleon assumed that this would force the Austrians to drop the titlel "Emperor" making him Europe's only "Emperor." Francis II had other ideas, and simply renamed the HRE the Austrian Empire.

EDIT-Oh, and I do plan on continuing this, I already have ideas worked up for the Kingdom of France (France before the revolution) and the Republic of Texas.

since your doing the Rep of Texas, i wonder if you plan on doing the Confederate States of America, granted it was only around for about 4 years.

i don't know if this would count, the 13 Colonies pre revolutionary war.

No, I won't be doing the original 13 colonies. They were part of the British empire. As for the CSA, no I won't. Many hate groups who preach hatred towards Jews use the Confederate flag as a symbol.

since your doing the Rep of Texas, i wonder if you plan on doing the Confederate States of America, granted it was only around for about 4 years. 

No, I won't be doing the original 13 colonies. They were part of the British empire. As for the CSA, no I won't. Many hate groups who preach hatred towards Jews use the Confederate flag as a symbol.

You could, instead, use the first national flag the Confederacy used, as the "Southern Cross" flag (the one usually associated with the Confederacy) was first only used as a battle flag. It looked a lot like the US flag...blue canton with 7 stars forming a circle, 3 stripes, that went red-white-red. The image would be easy to find...I just don't feel like going to find it.

If you're planning on continuing this even farther, if you run out of nations, how about nations that are possibly going to become independent? Lots of these are left over from the breakup of the Soviet Union in 1991 (North Ossetia, Abkhazia, Chechnya, Transnistria, and there's one exclave of Azerbaijan or Armenia that I can't remember the name of) and some others (Kashmir, Tibet, Somaliland, etc) or the "homelands" made for black Africans under South Africa's apartheid regime (Ciskei, Venda, Transkei, and there were I think two more, but I don't remember the names).

Either way, I'm really enjoying these, you've done a good job so far.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

You could, instead, use the first national flag the Confederacy used, as the "Southern Cross" flag (the one usually associated with the Confederacy) was first only used as a battle flag. It looked a lot like the US flag...blue canton with 7 stars forming a circle, 3 stripes, that went red-white-red. The image would be easy to find...I just don't feel like going to find it.

If you're planning on continuing this even farther, if you run out of nations, how about nations that are possibly going to become independent? Lots of these are left over from the breakup of the Soviet Union in 1991 (North Ossetia, Abkhazia, Chechnya, Transnistria, and there's one exclave of Azerbaijan or Armenia that I can't remember the name of) and some others (Kashmir, Tibet, Somaliland, etc) or the "homelands" made for black Africans under South Africa's apartheid regime (Ciskei, Venda, Transkei, and there were I think two more, but I don't remember the names).

Either way, I'm really enjoying these, you've done a good job so far.

i believe this is what your referring too.

250px-Starsnbars.png

the CSA would eventually have 11 stars on there.

the battle flag, which is the controversial one, didn't become a hate symbol until around the 1960's when a-hole groups like the KKK decided to hijack the symbol and use it for symbols of hate. correct me if im wrong, but i think the KKK didn't use the battle flag until aroudn the 1960s prior to that the US flag was used. interestingly enough, groups like the Sons of Confederate Veterans have confronted these hate groups for abuse of the battle flag.

But I do understand the sentiment, honestly im not sure if I would do the concept either.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

Archived