March Madness

vicfurth

3 # 1' seeds down, to quote Dickie V...."It's awesome baby!"

Somewhere, "Duke-ie V" is sobbing at the prospect of there being no ACC or Big East teams in the Final Four.

Yeah, for all the ballyhoo about the Big East, there's still a chance that nann one of the teams from that conference could reach the Final Four. Talk about hype.

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is the coolest thing I've seen in a long damn time! In this day and age, the little guy has relatively no shot to make it to the top in college sports. I can't believe that George Mason did this.

UConn got EXACTLY what they deserved. They should have lost to Albany in the first round, the refs helped them defeat Washington, and they really didn't play that well in beating Kentucky. Looked as though they were always on cruise control, just flipping a switch on and off as they felt like it.

Don't give me that crap about UConn playing an away game either. It's a neutral freaking site. Fairfax, VA is about 20 miles from Washington, DC, so it is closer to home for them, but no one in the DC Metro region gave a damn about Mason till they beat Michigan State. No one thought they'd beat MSU. No one thought they'd beat UNC. Even though they beat WSU before, people thought the mid-major team would beat the low-major Patriots. And I hear people saying how UConn would beat Mason by 30.

UConn was UCan't in 2006 and I mother :censored:ing love it! Put that in your pipe and smoke it Calhoun!

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

I have a question, I've heard alot about George Mason being the first mid-major to reach the Final 4 since the field has expanded to 64 (in SI and on CBS). What about Louisville (Metro Conference and C-USA), UNLV, UMass, Utah, and Marquette? Are they not considered mid-majors?

The sound you just heard was about half of America ripping up their bracket sheets, including mine. I lost $50 but this victory was damn worth it.

Speaking of brackets ... Did anyone even get ONE Final Four team in??

I just won my pool with the UConn cause all of my friends has UConn as their only team left, eventhough I has them in the title game as well. That'll be insane if no #1 seeds make it to Indy.

With that said... Go Gators! :D

I had picked UCLA to make the Final Four, and I still have Villanova winning it all.

I have a question, I've heard alot about George Mason being the first mid-major to reach the Final 4 since the field has expanded to 64 (in SI and on CBS). What about Louisville (Metro Conference and C-USA), UNLV, UMass, Utah, and Marquette? Are they not considered mid-majors?

The A-10, MWC (or WAC maybe back then), and C-USA were not really mid-majors.

That said, UNLV could properly be considered a mid-major, if we consider Gonzaga a mid-major today. They were Big West back then.

LvZYtbZ.png

This is the coolest thing I've seen in a long damn time! In this day and age, the little guy has relatively no shot to make it to the top in college sports. I can't believe that George Mason did this.

UConn got EXACTLY what they deserved. They should have lost to Albany in the first round, the refs helped them defeat Washington, and they really didn't play that well in beating Kentucky. Looked as though they were always on cruise control, just flipping a switch on and off as they felt like it.

Don't give me that crap about UConn playing an away game either. It's a neutral freaking site. Fairfax, VA is about 20 miles from Washington, DC, so it is closer to home for them, but no one in the DC Metro region gave a damn about Mason till they beat Michigan State. No one thought they'd beat MSU. No one thought they'd beat UNC. Even though they beat WSU before, people thought the mid-major team would beat the low-major Patriots. And I hear people saying how UConn would beat Mason by 30.

UConn was UCan't in 2006 and I mother :censored:ing love it! Put that in your pipe and smoke it Calhoun!

Great post, couldn't say it better myself. UConn may fans can complain all they want about it being an away game. They've gotten tons of calls through out the tournament. Also, Calhoun has cheated alot to get recruits. They got what they deserved.

This is the coolest thing I've seen in a long damn time!  In this day and age, the little guy has relatively no shot to make it to the top in college sports.  I can't believe that George Mason did this. 

UConn got EXACTLY what they deserved.  They should have lost to Albany in the first round, the refs helped them defeat Washington, and they really didn't play that well in beating Kentucky.  Looked as though they were always on cruise control, just flipping a switch on and off as they felt like it. 

Don't give me that crap about UConn playing an away game either.  It's a neutral freaking site.  Fairfax, VA is about 20 miles from Washington, DC, so it is closer to home for them, but no one in the DC Metro region gave a damn about Mason till they beat Michigan State.  No one thought they'd beat MSU.  No one thought they'd beat UNC.  Even though they beat WSU before, people thought the mid-major team would beat the low-major Patriots.  And I hear people saying how UConn would beat Mason by 30. 

UConn was UCan't in 2006 and I mother  :censored:ing love it!  Put that in your pipe and smoke it Calhoun!

Great post, couldn't say it better myself. UConn may fans can complain all they want about it being an away game. They've gotten tons of calls through out the tournament. Also, Calhoun has cheated alot to get recruits. They got what they deserved.

You have proof of that?

I loathe Calhoun and Uconn just as much as anyone (Cuse Grad), but let's not accuss someone without the evidence.

staffordsigbuffda6.jpg

Owner of

Kalamazoo Tech Kobras (Nat'l College Fant. Assc. Basketball, Football, and Hockey)

2006-07 NCFAB National Champions

2006 NCFAF Midwest Conf. Champions

Rochester Patriots (Major League Hockey - AHL Fantasy League) 2005-06 Neilson Cup Champs

Detroit Black Panthers (Xtreme Hockey League) 2005-06 Yzerman Conference Champs

Sheldon Motorsports (TRAC) - #20 Guinness Chevy & #21 UPS Chevy #44 Syracuse University Chevy

Commissioner of

MLH (Major League Hockey, an AHL Fantasy League)

TRAC (Team Racing Auto Circuit, NASCAR)

This is the coolest thing I've seen in a long damn time!  In this day and age, the little guy has relatively no shot to make it to the top in college sports.  I can't believe that George Mason did this. 

UConn got EXACTLY what they deserved.  They should have lost to Albany in the first round, the refs helped them defeat Washington, and they really didn't play that well in beating Kentucky.  Looked as though they were always on cruise control, just flipping a switch on and off as they felt like it. 

Don't give me that crap about UConn playing an away game either.  It's a neutral freaking site.  Fairfax, VA is about 20 miles from Washington, DC, so it is closer to home for them, but no one in the DC Metro region gave a damn about Mason till they beat Michigan State.  No one thought they'd beat MSU.  No one thought they'd beat UNC.  Even though they beat WSU before, people thought the mid-major team would beat the low-major Patriots.  And I hear people saying how UConn would beat Mason by 30. 

UConn was UCan't in 2006 and I mother  :censored:ing love it!  Put that in your pipe and smoke it Calhoun!

You have proof of that?

I loathe Calhoun and Uconn just as much as anyone (Cuse Grad), but let's not accuss someone without the evidence.

The only thing I know that he did in recruiting that was 'underhanded' was the means by which he acquired Rudy Gay, where the UConn paid money to host one of his teams tournaments in High School. But... wasn't against the rules at the time -- so how is it cheating? Besides, wasn't UConn the favorite to land him anyway?

Better get Calhoun while you can -- he's easily one of the 2 or 3 best coaches in the Nation and he's done it without all sorts of All-Americans like you'll see on Tobacco Road -- and we're bringing in a, as it stands, top 3 recruiting class. Hopefully the guys we're bringing in show some passion.

IUe6Hvh.png

Better get Calhoun while you can -- he's easily one of the 2 or 3 best coaches in the Nation and he's done it without all sorts of All-Americans like you'll see on Tobacco Road

Calhoun has done it with All-Americans - Allen, Marshall, Hamilton, Okafor, Gay, El-Amin, etc etc etc. Well, most of those guys listed are AA's. But let's not get caught up in the "Calhoun works with guys who aren't that talented" rants.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Better get Calhoun while you can -- he's easily one of the 2 or 3 best coaches in the Nation and he's done it without all sorts of All-Americans like you'll see on Tobacco Road

Calhoun has done it with All-Americans - Hamilton, Okafor, Gay, El-Amin, etc etc etc.

But not nearly as many McDonalds All-Americans as you see at schools like Duke or UNC is my point, yet they've shared similar success.

Ben Gordon and Emeka Okafor were the bulk of their 2004 National Championship team and neither of them were All-Americans in High School. Villanueva was, but he was coming off of the bench.

I believe there was only one McDonald's All-American on this years team. They've probably had about 5 or 6 come in in the last 10 or so years. Compare that to a program like Duke that often gets 2 or 3 in a single year.

I'm not saying he gets it done with untalented guys, but he's not like he's bringing in a top guy every year. For my money, what he does as a coach is more impressive than what Coach K does at Duke.

IUe6Hvh.png

Who gives two :censored:s how many McDonald's All-American's they have now or had then. UConn is UCan't for 2006, everything else is secondary. Go Patriots!

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Who gives two :censored:s how many McDonald's All-American's they have now or had then. UConn is UCan't for 2006, everything else is secondary. Go Patriots!

You didn't even hesitate to jump on that bandwagon.

I'm sure you followed them all year... :rolleyes:

IUe6Hvh.png

Calhoun has done it with All-Americans - Hamilton, Okafor, Gay, El-Amin, etc etc etc.

But not nearly as many McDonalds All-Americans as you see at schools like Duke or UNC is my point, yet they've shared similar success.

Ben Gordon and Emeka Okafor were the bulk of their 2004 National Championship team and neither of them were All-Americans in High School. Villanueva was, but he was coming off of the bench.

I believe there was only one McDonald's All-American on this years team. They've probably had about 5 or 6 come in in the last 10 or so years. Compare that to a program like Duke that often gets 2 or 3 in a single year.

I'm not saying he gets it done with untalented guys, but he's not like he's bringing in a top guy every year. For my money, what he does as a coach is more impressive than what Coach K does at Duke.

Good post - I can't really argue. B)

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I got UCLA in... and if Nova comes back, I'll have 2. But, essentially, if UCLA loses to LSU, I win the civil engineering department pool. I need either that or UCLA to lose to Nova in the championship game.

VmWIn6B.png

Don't give me that crap about UConn playing an away game either. It's a neutral freaking site.

The crowd was by NO MEANS neutral. During every lead change, when GMU would go up, the place was going nuts. When UConn got the lead back, it was like an off switch - the crowd went silent.

This game was a much bigger home court advantage for GMU than it would have been if UConn was playing a regular season game at the Patriot Center - in that case there would have been 10,000 people rooting for Mason; here there were probably 16,000.

Still, Calhoun complaining about having to play a road game is ridiculous; no one ever expects an 11 seed to get to the regionals.

AstrosTransitionsSig.gif

What's ridiculous is this is my school. I went to nearly every game at the Patriot Center during the regular season, and I never really, really, thought we'd make it to the final four. the odds were definitely against us. But right now, we're living a dream, and i'm savoring every moment. this is a TRUE cinderella story. it's a beautiful thing. campus will be hell tomorrow

LET'S GO MASON

LET'S GO MASON

... Says the man with the USC avatar. :P

And may I ask why you weren't at today's? Man, I know if that was my school fighting for a Final Four spot and the game was only 30 miles away or whatever, I would so :censored:ing be there!

6uXNWAo.png

I got UCLA in... and if Nova comes back, I'll have 2. But, essentially, if UCLA loses to LSU, I win the civil engineering department pool. I need either that or UCLA to lose to Nova in the championship game.

I had UCLA as well.

I had LSU, UCLA, Boston College and UCONN in the Final 4.

LET'S GO MASON

... Says the man with the USC avatar. :P

And may I ask why you weren't at today's? Man, I know if that was my school fighting for a Final Four spot and the game was only 30 miles away or whatever, I would so :censored:ing be there!

haha...yes, USC football (see matt leinart in the back of it?)...mason doesn't have a real football team as of yet...

but i do have a mason sig.

and I actually went to the wichita state game...couldnt get tickets for the uconn game, unfortunately

Archived