March Madness

vicfurth

The other game is a Bracketbusters rematch with the only exception being that it's more or less a home game for George Mason then Wichita State.

UConn-George Mason could be quite the game if it happens. Think having the relative home-court advantage would send GM to the Final Four?

The campus of George Mason is only 30 miles from DC.So.......................... George Mason to Indy!!!!

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Back to the ILLINOIS - WASHINGTON game....

Total Fouls were 28-17 with Illinois being whistled for the former.

Although that may like referee favoritism to a new fan of the game, it's not necessarily the case.

The facts are...

Illinois lost by 3 points

They were 5-18 from behind the arc (27%)

They shot 25-63 (39%) for the game

They lost the game becasue they didn't shoot well.

staffordsigbuffda6.jpg

Owner of

Kalamazoo Tech Kobras (Nat'l College Fant. Assc. Basketball, Football, and Hockey)

2006-07 NCFAB National Champions

2006 NCFAF Midwest Conf. Champions

Rochester Patriots (Major League Hockey - AHL Fantasy League) 2005-06 Neilson Cup Champs

Detroit Black Panthers (Xtreme Hockey League) 2005-06 Yzerman Conference Champs

Sheldon Motorsports (TRAC) - #20 Guinness Chevy & #21 UPS Chevy #44 Syracuse University Chevy

Commissioner of

MLH (Major League Hockey, an AHL Fantasy League)

TRAC (Team Racing Auto Circuit, NASCAR)

Although that may like referee favoritism to a new fan of the game, it's not necessarily the case.

I didn't watch the game, so I have one question -- how many of the fouls against Illinois were called when it was fouling to stop the clock? Many times, the largest part of a disparity in fouls arises because a teams fouls 7-8 times in the last 2-3 minutes to stop the clock. If that was the case here (and I have no idea if it was), that could help explain a disparity in fouls.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

I didn't watch the game, so I have one question -- how many of the fouls against Illinois were called when it was fouling to stop the clock? Many times, the largest part of a disparity in fouls arises because a teams fouls 7-8 times in the last 2-3 minutes to stop the clock. If that was the case here (and I have no idea if it was), that could help explain a disparity in fouls.

I'm done going on too much of a tangent, because I'm just gonna get bashed for it.

However, I can add to the facts.

I believe only 1 maybe 2 fouls were the stop the clock kinds. The biggest problem was not the calls on the Illini (though there were a couple really bad ones that hurt at the end), but the fact that Washington was not being called for the same things.

The Illini took over this game by going to Augustine. Washington then made it a point to shut him down, and they did by all means necessary. Mike Jensen had that job. Here's what he said...

"I put my whole body in front of him," Jensen said. "I elbowed him. I butt-fronted him. I shoved him. Whatever it took. A couple times he got frustrated -- he'd push me or shove me -- but I just pushed him right back."

The thing was, Jensen ended the game with ONE foul and Augustine had FOUR.

Also, Washington handchecked and bumped the Illini guards constantly but were not called. I don't mind that, but the Illini were being called for that stuff.

As for the shooting being why the Illini lost. That's not a legit thing to say.

The Illini shot 5-18 (.278) from three, yes, but Washington wasn't much better going 5-15 (.333). The Illini were better than Washington in total field goals going 29-63 (.397) to Washington's 17-45 (.378).

Shooting wasn't great for the Illini, but it was worse for Washington.

Furthermore, the Illini also narrowly outrebounded Washington 34-32 and had more assists than them at 15-8.

Washington was every bit as agressive and made just as much as the Illini, the refs just put Washington at the line 28 more times.

You can call me a whiner all you want, but this game wasn't evenly reffed.

I'm a little worried because Josh Boone and Rudy Gay are both from Maryland, so they might lose their focus a little in nearby Washington DC with all their family and friends.

Don't worry. I'm sure Rudy's AAU coach will keep him in line. He owes Calhoun that much after being bought off to send Rudy to UConn. :P

Whatever gets the job done, right? ^_^

War Shady Recruiting! :D

IUe6Hvh.png

I'm with ya, amare. Enough with the whiny Illini fan and the excuses he's coming up with.

Now, we all can focus on the Sweet 16 and the subplots each region brings to the plate.

First stop is Oakland. Can Bradley continue their Cinderella run against a much stronger Memphis team? Can Adam Morrison get That Overrated School from Spokane into the Elite Eight for the first time since '02? Is UCLA underrated enough to sneak past everyone in this regional?

Next is Atlanta. Do the Tigers of LSU have enough firepower to bring down the almighty Redick and the Dookies? Can the Fighting Pittsnogles get some payback against a confident Texas squad?

Then, we have Minneapolis. Can Boston College give Villanova a taste of ACC play or can the dread four guard system give those treacherous Eagles a reason why not to screw with the Big East? Does Florida have enough in the tank to handle the G'Town precision offense?

Last stop is Washington, D.C. Which Husky is going to survive this dogfight (Sorry. The pun was intended) (Hint: Purple and Gold Husky for the win, of course :P) and can George Mason, with it's pseudo home court edge, get payback against Wichita State?

Let's get one thing straight.

Comparing FT attempts is not an accurate method of analyzing the officials in the game. Total Fouls is a better stat.

In any particular game, one team may have attempted more FT's simply because the fouls are committed DURING a shot attempt. The officials have no control over that.

staffordsigbuffda6.jpg

Owner of

Kalamazoo Tech Kobras (Nat'l College Fant. Assc. Basketball, Football, and Hockey)

2006-07 NCFAB National Champions

2006 NCFAF Midwest Conf. Champions

Rochester Patriots (Major League Hockey - AHL Fantasy League) 2005-06 Neilson Cup Champs

Detroit Black Panthers (Xtreme Hockey League) 2005-06 Yzerman Conference Champs

Sheldon Motorsports (TRAC) - #20 Guinness Chevy & #21 UPS Chevy #44 Syracuse University Chevy

Commissioner of

MLH (Major League Hockey, an AHL Fantasy League)

TRAC (Team Racing Auto Circuit, NASCAR)

Let's get one thing straight.

Comparing FT attempts is not an accurate method of analyzing the officials in the game. Total Fouls is a better stat.

In any particular game, one team may have attempted more FT's simply because the fouls are committed DURING a shot attempt. The officials have no control over that.

Absolutely. The truth is neither is accurate. They both need observation to uphold a claim about them.

In this case though, with plenty of observation, I can say it doesn't matter which way the shots came. Both teams were doing the same things defending drives and defending shots, but only one team was getting called for the fouls on a consistant basis.

But alright, go ahead and get back to the Sweet Sixteen talk now.

I'm watching the Gonzaga/UCLA game here and its looking pretty good for Gonzaga up by 15 at the moment.

One quick thing I would like to get off my chest though ... Can the CBS announcers please call the Gonzaga Bulldogs the BULLDOGS and not the Zags?? <_< Yeah, the name "Zags" is cute, but give it a rest already! It's not just CBS though, it's everyone else who covers college basketball. I doubt it really bothers anyone else, but it bugs the hell outta me for some reason.

Anyways, I feel a lil better now that I have vented a lil. Back to the game. :D

6uXNWAo.png

You can also exclude Bradley from the Elite 8 as they are getting manhandled by Memphis.

Oh well, it was a good run and they put up a decent fight until the very end. I'm happy.

Seriously, if you had told me before the season that Bradley would be in the dance, I would question your sanity. If you had told me before the season that Bradley would have made the Sweet 16, I wouldn't have just questioned your sanity...I would have had you locked up immediately.

Congrats guys.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Texas wins it over West Virginia with a 3 at the buzzer! Awesome!! They meet LSU on Saturday for a trip to the Final Four. Gonzaga also looks to be on their way to the Elite 8 and will play Memphis if they do hold on against UCLA.

6uXNWAo.png

Archived