The OFFICIAL 2006 MLB Predictions Thread

Audiodrama

I realize there was another predictions thread back in January or something, but we're a good portion of the way through Spring Training now, the WBC is well underway, and we have a pretty good idea of what these MLB teams are gonna look like. Now, without further adieu...

(x - division winner, y - wild card winner, z - homefield advantage)

American League East

1. New York Yankees - x

2. Boston Red Sox - y

3. Toronto Blue Jays

4. Baltimore Orioles

5. Tampa Bay Devil Rays

American League Central

1. Chicago White Sox - z

2. Cleveland Indians

3. Minnesota Twins

4. Detroit Tigers

5. Kansas City Royals

American League West

1. Oakland Athletics - x

2. Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim

3. Texas Rangers

4. Seattle Mariners

National League East

1. Atlanta Braves - x

2. New York Mets - y

3. Philadelphia Phillies

4. Washington Nationals

5. Florida Marlins

National League Central

1. St. Louis Cardinals - z

2. Milwaukee Brewers

3. Houston Astros

4. Chicago Cubs

5. Cincinnati Reds

6. Pittsburgh Pirates

National League West

1. Los Angeles Dodgers - x

2. San Francisco Giants

3. San Diego Padres

4. Arizona Diamondbacks

5. Colorado Rockies

American League Championship Series

Boston Red Sox over New York Yankees, 4 games to 2

National League Championship Series

New York Mets over Atlanta Braves, 4 games to 1

World Series

Boston Red Sox over New York Mets, 4 games to 1

American League MVP - David Ortiz, BOS

National League MVP - David Wright, NYM

American League Cy Young - Barry Zito, OAK

National League Cy Young - Tim Hudson, ATL

homer_simpson.gif

Be careful with that joke, Chris. It's an antique.

Well... how many World Series' in a row have the Red Sox won in your fantasyland? :)

They...they won them back-to-back in 1915 and 1916. And plus, 2005 never actually happened anyway. Just a mulligan year.

The homer factor on the original post is pretty ridiculous.

The Red Sox will be lucky enough to make the playoffs this year, let alone sniff at the World Series. With the Yankees committed to choking off all talent, the Jays on a resurgence, the White Sox looking to repeat, the Indians getting better each year, the A's with a very solid young team, and the Angels always an outside threat, the Red Sox will have to work pretty damn hard to make the postseason and then win two playoff rounds to get to the Series... even without considering having to beat a team like the Mets, Cardinals, Dodgers, Astros, or Braves once they're there.

The Red Sox lost their clubhouse leader this postseason to their fiercest rival, and their best player openly acknowledges that he wants to be traded. Tough way to head into the season and still win it all.

Realistically, I see the White Sox beating the Yankees in the ALCS and the Cardinals beating the Mets in the NLCS, with the Cards going on to win the Series.

sticksstones4.png

The world's foremost practitioners of professional tag-team wrestling.

The Red Sox will be lucky enough to make the playoffs this year, let alone sniff at the World Series. With the Yankees committed to choking off all talent, the Jays on a resurgence, the White Sox looking to repeat, the Indians getting better each year, the A's with a very solid young team, and the Angels always an outside threat, the Red Sox will have to work pretty damn hard to make the postseason and then win two playoff rounds to get to the Series... even without considering having to beat a team like the Mets, Cardinals, Dodgers, Astros, or Braves once they're there.

The Red Sox lost their clubhouse leader this postseason to their fiercest rival, and their best player openly acknowledges that he wants to be traded. Tough way to head into the season and still win it all.

Realistically, I see the White Sox beating the Yankees in the ALCS and the Cardinals beating the Mets in the NLCS, with the Cards going on to win the Series.

You've failed to realize that, beside the White Sox, the Red Sox may have the best pitching in the American League. Their starting rotation is gonna be Schilling, Beckett, Wells, Wakefield, Clement. When you have Matt Clement as your #5, you're doin somethin right. Not to mention that Bronson Arroyo AND Jonathan Papelbon will be waiting in the bullpen in case a starter goes down. Throw in a bullpen that also has a resurgent Keith Foulke, Julian Tavarez, Mike Timlin, David Riske and soon to be Craig Hansen and I see no reason why the Red Sox can't win it all. No reason.

You've failed to realize that, beside the White Sox, the Red Sox may have the best pitching in the American League. Their starting rotation is gonna be Schilling, Beckett, Wells, Wakefield, Clement. When you have Matt Clement as your #5, you're doin somethin right. Not to mention that Bronson Arroyo AND Jonathan Papelbon will be waiting in the bullpen in case a starter goes down. Throw in a bullpen that also has a resurgent Keith Foulke, Julian Tavarez, Mike Timlin, David Riske and soon to be Craig Hansen and I see no reason why the Red Sox can't win it all. No reason.

The Red Sox don't even have the best pitching in the AL East, let alone the AL.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

I hope you're not talking about the Blue Jays, who have no pitching depth whatsoever. And I know you're not talking about the Yankees, who are behind both Boston and Toronto.

I hope you're not talking about the Blue Jays, who have no pitching depth whatsoever. And I know you're not talking about the Yankees, who are behind both Boston and Toronto.

Halladay-Bernett-Towers-Cachin-Lily

While only the first two are house hold names, the other 3 are equally good pitchers and can be absolutly dominant. The first two alone are probably the best 1-2 punch in the AL...and I dobut many can argue that.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

While only the first two are house hold names, the other 3 are equally good pitchers and can be absolutly dominant. The first two alone are probably the best 1-2 punch in the AL...and I dobut many can argue that.

Toronto's 1-2 Punch is based purely on potential. I'll fully admit that Halladay is clearly the best right-handed pitcher in the AL. But I'm not sold on AJ Burnett just yet. Chacin still has alot to prove, Lilly has never really lived up to expectations, and god knows what you're getting out of Josh Towers.

Compare that to Boston. Schilling is a proven winner -- though obviously not at Halladay's level anymore, if he pitches to his capability, he's a 20 game winner. Injury prone? Yes. But so is Halladay. Let's move to the #2 starters...I'll take Beckett over Burnett every day of the week. Beckett's a proven winner in the clutch, as proven by his 2003 World Series MVP trophy. Josh Towers against David Wells really isn't even a competition. I don't even need to talk further about that one. Tim Wakefield and Gustavo Chacin is probably the most interesting comparison...you know what you're getting from Wakefield every year (consistently around 15 wins), but Chacin certainly has the potential to become a big-game pitcher, and he's a southpaw at that. I'll actually take Ted Lilly over Matt Clement, for the sheer reason that Clement's probably still rattled from getting hit in the head last year. Lilly's a lefty and has always had the Sox's number for some reason.

But there's your starting rotation comparison...like I said, I see no reason why the Red Sox can't do great things this year. They have more depth in this rotation than their 2004 rotation (Schilling, Martinez, Lowe, Wakefield, Arroyo).

The sox finish 3rd in the A.L. East behind the Blue Jays and Yankees.

I see a Cleveland Indian, New York Met world series.

No depth?

Our #5 starter (Josh Towers) had the top ERA in the AL East in 2005.

Our #4 starter (Gustavo Chacin) was the runner-up in that category.

Our #1 starter (Roy Halladay) was miles ahead of anyone for the Cy Young race until a line drive off his leg ended the season.

We added A.J. Burnett who could be amazing, could be awful, in his switch to the American League.

And we have Ted Lilly who battled injuries in 2005 after an All-Star season in 2004.

And that's just the starting rotation.

Our bullpen (Chulk, Schoeweneweis, Speier, Frasor) was tops in the AL East in 2005... the only difference from our 2005 bullpen and our 2006 bullpen is that we replaced our closer Miguel Batista with B.J. Ryan.

Not only is that staff incredible, it is also very young. I'm not looking this up, but off the top of my head I can't think of any pitcher on our team over the age of 31.

I will say that the Red Sox have a pretty good rotation, it's just not quite up to snuff with ours... plus all the broken down vets could lead to an injury filled 2006 for the Red Sox rotation.

Yankees suck.

^_^

---

Chris Creamer

Yankees suck.

^_^

At least we can agree on something. :D

Just to add, there's nothin I love better than a good, spirited baseball debate. Nice to see that there's still a few guys out there who know their stuff.

Definately... Blue Jays Nation is very underrepresented, on that note... jays.chriscreamer.com :)

---

Chris Creamer

If the WBC is any type of precursor, it bodes well for the Orioles rotation. Lopez, Chen, Cabrera and Bedard all pitched well, and you Canucks won't soon forget the name Adam Loewen. He will probably start the year at AA, but his contract requires him to be placed on waivers if he isn't on the 25-man roster in 2007, so we will probably hear from him this year as well. Throw in Kris Benson and the potential is there for a solid starting staff.

I'm not saying the Orioles are ready to challenge the big boys yet if the rotation comes together (too many holes in the bullpen and question marks in the outfield), but maybe they are finally headed in the right direction. We just need Angelos to stay out of the way.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

I'd say the White Sox and the A's have better rotations than anyone in the East. Zito, Harden, Haren, Loiaza, Joe Blanton (who had 12 wins as a rookie, dispite the fact he had 12 losses I think that's still pretty damn good.)

the Jay's #2 of the "best 1-2 punch in the AL" has a career losing record. I won't argue with the rest of the rotation. I'd say the Jays have the best top to bottom rotation in the East. The Yankees pitching would have been awesome 5 years ago, the red sox are a cheeseburger away from only having 4 pitchers, and the O's and Devil Rays...if you gave me 1,000,000 bucks I couldn't name two pitchers on either one of those teams.

Anyway, I hate the AL, drop the DH and such. Go Cardinals :D

Archived