1971 Pittsburgh Pirates Jersey

metsfan

I have been interested in purchasing a 1971 Roberto Clemente home Pirates jersey for quite a while. I have been to a couple of websites and some stores and I am confused. I have seen the same jersey with the name "Clemente" on the back in the Black/Yellow letters, Just black letters and with just the numbers and no name.

In 1971 did the Pirates have the names on the back of the jerseys and if they did, were they 2 color or single color?? I want t make sure that when I invest $250, that it will be done exactly like the 1971 Pirates jersey. All of my searches on the net have not helped because they have all the styles that I have described. Please help me out if you can.

A '71 Pirates jersey had no name on the back (Pirates never had names on the back until the National League mandated names on the backs of all road jerseys in 1979). The number is two-colored - black with a "mustard"-gold outline. This Mitchell and Ness jersey shows this, although the color is off and it is tough to see the mustard outlines.

Thanks, I was planning on buying the jersey soon and I went into my local mall and three stores had three different Mitchell & Ness Pirates jerseys, one had no name just the numbers black w/ yellow outline, one had name and number in black tackle twill and the other had the name and number in the black w/ gold outline and then I saw a Majestic Cooperstown Collection jersey with the name and number in the black w/ yellow outline. Then I went online and I found all four versions of the jersey available. Once again thanks, I just needed to know which one was legit and which ones were not. I'm going to go buy the Mitchell & Ness with just the number.

Archived