New Vikings Unforms *merged*

RickV

• Replies 710
  • Created
  • Last Reply

sorta does look arena football like, or similar to an NFL europe team, but the first thought i had was-- St Louis Rams. It looks like the Rams with a different shade of gold and purple instead of blue. Am I nuts, or will anyone who's had a little champagne on new year's eve not be able to tell the difference when they watch the game that day?

Not shabby.

I do agree with folks about the fact that these will look very "2006" in about 15 years. The piping and side panel idea, while it looks fine now, will scream "the '00s redesign."

Which is exactly what you'd want, from a marketing standpoint. By then, you get to design a new uniform. New uniforms, fans want new unis to keep pace - more $$$. Just like how cars are re-designed every few years, so will unis.

Not shabby.

I do agree with folks about the fact that these will look very "2006" in about 15 years. The piping and side panel idea, while it looks fine now, will scream "the '00s redesign."

Which is exactly what you'd want, from a marketing standpoint. By then, you get to design a new uniform. New uniforms, fans want new unis to keep pace - more $$$. Just like how cars are re-designed every few years, so will unis.

That may well be the final post this board will ever need! :D

Sorta like George Carlin's hippie weatherman. His final weather report was: "Weather will continue to change on and off for like a very long time."

NorthernColFightingWhites4.GIF

Overall, I like them. My only problems are with the alpha-numeric fonts used for the player names/numbers and the purple pants.

* The alpha font used for the player names looks completely out of place next to the numeric font.

* The number font is an awkward modern/traditional block hybrid. They should have either gone with a new, modern font or a traditional block font. Pick one.

* Eliminating the purple pants altogether would make for two outstanding uniforms (Purple/White and White/White), alleviate the problems that stem from wearing the Purple pants with Purple-topped socks... and, perhaps most importantly, avoid the temptation to someday trot out an all-Purple monochrome.

All in all, a solid update.

As someone with an intense hatred for contrasting side panels, I have to admit that the front of the home jersey isn't as bad as I thought it would be. The side panels are better than most.

However, I hate the away jersey with a purple passion.

And the back of the jerseys are the absolute worst backs in the NFL, in my opinion. They look terrible, because of the piping connecting. :puke:

uta-big-sam-little-uta.png

sorta does look arena football like, or similar to an NFL europe team, but the first thought i had was-- St Louis Rams. It looks like the Rams with a different shade of gold and purple instead of blue. Am I nuts, or will anyone who's had a little champagne on new year's eve not be able to tell the difference when they watch the game that day?

I really see no similarity at all.

uta-big-sam-little-uta.png

I didn't think about this until driving home from work last night, but Jim Marshall was on hand for the ceremony.

And, if my memory serves right, it was Jim Marshall who made the old purple pants famous -- making his infamous wrong-way run against the 49ers wearing purple pants and the white jersey.

By the way, Marshall belongs on the Pro Football Hall of Fame. So do a few other Vikings from the glory days, like Mick Tingelhoff. But that's another subject.

Am I the only one who likes how the taping connects on the back shoulders?

I'm gonna say yes on that one. ^_^

I like the edit Survival did, it echoes what I was thinking. Though, I'd like it even better if there wasn't a "spike" coming out of the back of the armpit area, just the "horn" coming around from the front.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

These aren't HORRIBLE, but they do suck. They were so close, a few things different and these could have been great.

1. remove sidestripe from jerseys. It looks like crap, it never matches up with the stripe on the pants (see Brad Johnson photo), and it always looks ridiculous on lineman.

2. Eliminate the top part of the stripe on the pants and make the entire stripe the same color

3. Make white socks to wear with the purple pants.

4. Have the colored collar go all the way around.

If those easy steps were done, these jerseys would be a very good, acceptable update. As it stands, they suck.

I can't go so far as to say they suck, and I think it is a mild step backward from what they had (which were Top 5 IMO), but I really expected a lot worse.

And TOR's critiques match mine, beginning to end. And one additional change needed - the "J" is over-serifed in the player name. The tail of the letter doesn't need that serif. It's forced and overdone. Hope the Vikes aren't looking to sign T.J. Houshmandzadeh any time soon...

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Archived