New Vikings Unforms *merged*

RickV

Fact of the matter is, some people are just flat out uncomfortable with change, no matter what it is. The Vikings could have made an incredibly subtle change, and there would be people going all 'OMFG!!! It's not the exect uniform it was in 1974!!!'

In fact, that did happen when the Vikings added the Norseman to the sleeves and, most startlingly, put the numbers above the UCLA stripes on the white jerseys.

• Replies 710
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Doesn't this change prove that Zygi is a liar? I thought I remembered reading that he promised no drastic change.

Moving from this...

DaunteCulpepper01.jpg

... and this...

moss%20moon.jpg

... to this...

newuni39do.jpg

... and this...

7645.jpg

...is pretty drastic. Why did Zygi have to lie? People are still going to be Vikes fans either way. If anything, saying there was going to be a total facelift of the franchise, with the uniforms a symbol of the changes, may have been a good thing, especially after what has happened the last few years.

Lie? Look, like or dislike the change, that's fine, but calling this a lie is just stupid. "Drastic" is definately in the eye of the beholder. A few years ago I had a discussion with a Cleveland Indians fan who insisted the team hadn't changed their uniform in 15 years! When I pointed out the numerous changes, he said they didn't count because they were still navy and red, with the colors still in all the same places, and Wahoo was still the logo. He was serious... he thought I was nuts for "harping on miniscule adjustments". You and I (and everyone else on this obsesive board) might consider these a drastic change, but I garuntee you Wilf doesn't and 9 out of 10 "normal" fans wouldn't because they are still purple and gold, the colors are still in the same places, the norseman is still the logo, and a white horn is still on the helmet.

Keep in mind... we are the strange ones... most fans don't care about their own teams uniforms as much as we care about the uniforms of teams we don't even like.

Lie? Look, like or dislike the change, that's fine, but calling this a lie is just stupid. "Drastic" is definately in the eye of the beholder. A few years ago I had a discussion with a Cleveland Indians fan who insisted the team hadn't changed their uniform in 15 years! When I pointed out the numerous changes, he said they didn't count because they were still navy and red, with the colors still in all the same places, and Wahoo was still the logo. He was serious... he thought I was nuts for "harping on miniscule adjustments". You and I (and everyone else on this obsesive board) might consider these a drastic change, but I garuntee you Wilf doesn't and 9 out of 10 "normal" fans wouldn't because they are still purple and gold, the colors are still in the same places, the norseman is still the logo, and a white horn is still on the helmet.

Keep in mind... we are the strange ones... most fans don't care about their own teams uniforms as much as we care about the uniforms of teams we don't even like.

Hey, don't call me stupid.

If you don't think these changes are drastic, you are blind. I bet that when the "common fan" first saw these, even they thought "Holy S--t!"

These are quite a departure, and you don't have to be on this board to recognize that.

Those are very true words. Nearly every time that I bring up what I think is a major uniform issue (color changes; logo changes; major stylistic revisions), people either stare at me blankly or flat out tell me that I need to get a life.

Needless to say, I do not bother to point out the little things that bother me, like the way in which socks are striped. People might have me committed if I did that.

We, indeed, are the freaks.

I aske my friend today what he thought of the Vikes changes. his respose:

"All they did was add a stripe to the side and change pants colors. They should have done more."

See, not all casual fans view this as drastic.

And to clear the record, Wilf had nothing to do with Moss. That was McCombs' last :censored:up before moving on.

twitter_zps93c9c8f9.png @josh_j12 smbelt_zps438edf04.png

CFA- Fargo Bobcats

The Vikings overall changes were not minor, however I don't think there was an attempt to deceive. I'd guess that people would have interpreted a major change as a change of the helmet logo. In any event, people are splitting hairs over terminology.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

Lie?  Look, like or dislike the change, that's fine, but calling this a lie is just stupid.  "Drastic" is definately in the eye of the beholder.  A few years ago I had a discussion with a Cleveland Indians fan who insisted the team hadn't changed their uniform in 15 years!  When I pointed out the numerous changes, he said they didn't count because they were still navy and red, with the colors still in all the same places, and Wahoo was still the logo. He was serious... he thought I was nuts for "harping on miniscule adjustments".  You and I (and everyone else on this obsesive board) might consider these a drastic change, but I garuntee you Wilf doesn't and 9 out of 10 "normal" fans wouldn't because they are still purple and gold, the colors are still in the same places, the norseman is still the logo, and a white horn is still on the helmet.

Hey, don't call me stupid.

If you don't think these changes are drastic, you are blind. I bet that when the "common fan" first saw these, even they thought "Holy S--t!"

These are quite a departure, and you don't have to be on this board to recognize that.

What oldschoolvikings brought to this discussion was a voice of reason.

I was excited the day these came out, so much so that I just had to show my wife. I got this reply:

"You know I'm not going to be able to tell the difference, right?"

Sure enough, as long as it was still purple she saw nothing of significance.

Is she blind? No. She just doesn't care. And she likes sports.

It's easy to forget that while we're all uniform and logo-obsessed fans, most other people are just fans.

I DO feel bad that it seemed like I was calling someone stupid... that wasn't what I meant.

Thank you.

Even though my opinion about Zygi has proven unpopular, I stand by it. Just because a common fan doesn't understand how drastic the changes are doesn't mean they aren't indeed drastic.

For example, lets say a scientist says that the average temperature of the earth is one degree hotter than usual. A common man (me) probably doesn't understand just how much that means. But just because the common person doesn't recognize it, doesn't mean it isn't drastic.

Looking back, I do not think Zygi meant to deceive. He probably just got carried away with the fun of designing new uniforms.

No one has totally strayed from tradition.

You're kidding, right?

Absolutely not.... If you look at it, in fact, the team that strayed from tradition the most is often lauded as one of the best recent uniform changes- the Buccanneers.

They went from an orange jersey with white helmets and pants to a red jersey with pewter helmets and pants.

However, if you look at it like that, virtually ever other recent change has been subtle in comparrison:

Vikings - still have purple jerseys with purple horned helmet and white pants

Bills - still have blue jerseys with red helmet and white pants

Bengals - still have orange stiped helmets, black jerseys with tiger stripes, and white pants

Cardinals - still have white helmets, burgundy jerseys, and white pants... and grey facemasks (ughh)

Lions - still have blue jerseys with silver pants and helmets

Rams - still have blue horned helmets, blue jerseys, and gold pants

Eagles - still have green winged helmets, green jerseys, and light pants

Even in some of the more wholesale changes, like the Seahawks, Broncos, and Patriots still have incredibly strong ties to there past uniforms, both in colors and logo composition.

I'm not saying that I believe that all of these changes have been for the better, but that's totally subjective. Even with much lambasted changes like the Bills, at least a few people thought it was a good idea. Granted, I think it's a trainwreck, but at least they made an effort to freshen up a look that was stagnent and not communicative of an organization trying to improve itself.

That really is a good point about how "regular" sports fans don't pay as much attention to design of uniforms as we do.

When I was a kid, I would sit and draw uniforms, then color them. I always thought I was kind of a geek for doing it, but I enjoyed it. It's nice to know there are other geeks like me. :D

Id say regular fans do notice it.. and pretty much agree with what we have to say... Either that or my friends are nerdy like me.

I showed like 4 of them this thread with the new vikings unis... pretty much all of them said "uhhh they suck" or "those are ugly" even one I think mentioned the similarity to the cardinals....

All I have to say... They could have gone in a much better direction with these

impossiblefp4.jpg

The World Basketball Championship, the Davis Cup, Ryder Cup, Iraq: Every day there's further proof that we, as a nation, are not very good at international competition.

I think they look great, save for the fact that the players seem to have some difficulty aligning the stripes on their jerseys and pants.

I also like the ball-in-glove logo. Trying to get all my floggings in at once.

Id say regular fans do notice it.. and pretty much agree with what we have to say... Either that or my friends are nerdy like me.

I showed like 4 of them this thread with the new vikings unis... pretty much all of them said "uhhh they suck" or "those are ugly" even one I think mentioned the similarity to the cardinals....

All I have to say... They could have gone in a much better direction with these

Then mock it up.

I'm not saying your opinion's not valid, but it's quite easy to say that "they could've done better" with out showing how you think they could have.

The design process is tough enough trying to please the client and meet their goals without the peanut gallery offering empty critism. Again, I'm not saying non-designers aren't entitled to their opinion, but I'm of the opinion that there is maybe a grand total of about 5-10 people on these boards that could have done a comparable job of freshening up these uniforms and acheiving the goals that I'm guessing the Vikings wanted to meet with this re-design.

I would rather have seen them just put the UCLA stripes on the homes, of which many people have already mocked up. I dont really mind these though.

And the helmet... I think its a great update, they didnt necesarily need the black outline, but I dont think it takes away from it, and having it look a little more 3d is a plus.

impossiblefp4.jpg

The World Basketball Championship, the Davis Cup, Ryder Cup, Iraq: Every day there's further proof that we, as a nation, are not very good at international competition.

And the helmet... I think its a great update, they didnt necesarily need the black outline, but I dont think it takes away from it, and having it look a little more 3d is a plus.

For what it's worth, I don't think there's a black outline on it.

Archived