WHL awards expansion franchise to Edmonton

officeglenn

From WHL.ca:

CALGARY, AB ? Ron Robison, Commissioner of the Western Hockey League, announced today that the WHL Board of Governors approved the granting of an expansion franchise, on a conditional basis, to the City of Edmonton commencing with the 2007-08 season.

The WHL expansion franchise in Edmonton will be owned by the Edmonton Investors Group, current owners of the Edmonton Oilers.

In awarding the expansion franchise, the WHL will require the Edmonton Investors Group to meet a series of conditions in order to obtain final approval.

The new expansion franchise in Edmonton will increase the WHL to a total of 22 member Clubs throughout Western Canada and the Pacific Northwest of the United States.

The Edmonton franchise will join the Central Division of the WHL?s Eastern Conference.

The Chilliwack Bruins who were previously granted an expansion franchise as the WHL?s 21st Club will begin play in 2006-07.

The last time Edmonton had a WHL franchise, they eventually moved to Cranbrook and became the Kootenay Ice. Sounds like more stable ownership this time, though.

Let the speculation on nicknames begin.

Had a feeling this was gonna happen....

At least that was the speculation around the AHL after EIG pulled the plug on the Roadrunners after 1 season up at Rexall Centre.

Hope it works out.

FANTASY TEAMS

Housatonic U. Dragons (NCFA Basketball): 16-6 (8-4 Conf.)--National Runner-Up

Jersey State U. (NCFA Football): Inaugural Year - 2006

Motor City Silverhawks (WArFL): 9-4 (3rd--National Conf.)

Lehigh Valley Ironmen (WAmFL): Inaugural Season--2006

New England Marauders RFC (RLI): 6-0-7 (6th place)

Detroit Spirit (AA): 3-6 (T-4th--Patriot League)

Brooklyn Atlantics (IBF): 10-5 (1st--Appalachian Conf.)

Boston Mariners RFU (WRU): Coming Soon!

New York Americans (SHL): Inaugural Season - 2006-07

At least that was the speculation around the AHL after EIG pulled the plug on the Roadrunners after 1 season up at Rexall Centre.

Hope it works out.

I thought the RoadRunners were going to be back next year. Didn't EIG just shut them down for a year or two while they recovered from the lockout?

Hope it works out.

I thought the RoadRunners were going to be back next year. Didn't EIG just shut them down for a year or two while they recovered from the lockout?

Probably not...

There's a lot of chatter that the 'Runners could end up in Quad Cities....not a bad area for a team (the UHL Mallards are usually one of the better drawing minor league teams out there)....

FANTASY TEAMS

Housatonic U. Dragons (NCFA Basketball): 16-6 (8-4 Conf.)--National Runner-Up

Jersey State U. (NCFA Football): Inaugural Year - 2006

Motor City Silverhawks (WArFL): 9-4 (3rd--National Conf.)

Lehigh Valley Ironmen (WAmFL): Inaugural Season--2006

New England Marauders RFC (RLI): 6-0-7 (6th place)

Detroit Spirit (AA): 3-6 (T-4th--Patriot League)

Brooklyn Atlantics (IBF): 10-5 (1st--Appalachian Conf.)

Boston Mariners RFU (WRU): Coming Soon!

New York Americans (SHL): Inaugural Season - 2006-07

Well it works for the Hitmen/Flames.

Name?

You don't want to know what a Flames fan think an Edmonton hockey team should be named.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

From WHL.ca:
CALGARY, AB – Ron Robison, Commissioner of the Western Hockey League, announced today that the WHL Board of Governors approved the granting of an expansion franchise, on a conditional basis, to the City of Edmonton commencing with the 2007-08 season.

The WHL expansion franchise in Edmonton will be owned by the Edmonton Investors Group, current owners of the Edmonton Oilers.

In awarding the expansion franchise, the WHL will require the Edmonton Investors Group to meet a series of conditions in order to obtain final approval.

The new expansion franchise in Edmonton will increase the WHL to a total of 22 member Clubs throughout Western Canada and the Pacific Northwest of the United States.

The Edmonton franchise will join the Central Division of the WHL’s Eastern Conference.

The Chilliwack Bruins who were previously granted an expansion franchise as the WHL’s 21st Club will begin play in 2006-07.

The last time Edmonton had a WHL franchise, they eventually moved to Cranbrook and became the Kootenay Ice. Sounds like more stable ownership this time, though.

Let the speculation on nicknames begin.

Well the Ice did go on and win the Memorial Cup. Is the Oil Kings nickname an option? Or how about this?

The Krunk :P

I saw, I came, I left.

*obligatory Lil Jon spoof*

WHAAAAAATTT!!?!?!?!? OHHHHHHHH-K-K-KAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*end spoof*

I just had a thought for a name...you got the NHL Oilers, how bout the WHL Slicks? B)

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🀬

Uh, guys?

Not that I know anything, but has anyone considered the possibility that this is a step in the direction of moving the Edmonton Oilers somewhere else? Or is there some lease deal or something else in place that's keeping them there for a long period, a la the Carolina Hurricanes?

nav-logo.png

Ass far as this being some sort of death knell for the Oilers, I really don't think that's the case. If anything, EIG is probably trying to replicate the success major junior hockey has had in Calgary with the Hitmen.

Talking to my boss yesterday, who used to play in the WHL, if a junior team can sell a decent amount of tickets in an NHL-sized arena ? like the Hitmen are doing in the Saddledome and Edmonton could do in Rexall Place ? and don't have to pay a lot in player salaries, then it can easily turn a million-dollar profit.

Plus major junior has a huge following in Canada, probably more than an AHL franchise would. But people aren't deluding themselves ? they know these aren't the big leagues ? so they will likely still buy Oilers tickets as well.

What EIG is planning to do with that profit, we can't be sure. If they could re-invest it in the Oilers and give that team a little more money to play with come free agency time, that would probably be ideal for them.

I got a perfect nickname for the Edmonton WHL team: the Oil Babies.

Now that I mentioned it, that nickname does sound a bit racist sounding, doesn't it?

How about the Losers, because it does fit in with the fellow losers in the Oilers... OHH! Alright.

Β 

There's a lot of chatter that the 'Runners could end up in Quad Cities....not a bad area for a team (the UHL Mallards are usually one of the better drawing minor league teams out there)....

So the RoadRunners are still around, just... dormant?

Okay, then this is the point where I do my usual lobbying for Fort Wayne and Oklahoma City. Drawing 7-8K fans a night in crappy lower-tier leagues should be enough to convince somebody to put a top-level franchise in one of these places, shouldn't it? Plus Fort Wayne filts in well with the AHL's Midwestern contingent, and OKC would be relatively close to Houston, San Antonio, and Omaha. Two natural fits for the AHL to make their way to 30 teams. Of course, they'd probably rather stick a team in a 3,000 seat rec center in Cornhole, Delaware to expand whatever East Coast clique they like to maintain.

As for the Oilers' WHL name, I swear I heard repeated mentions of the name "Oil Kings" associated with the WHL spectulation that started up the minute the 'Runners got boarded up. So my money's on that until I hear otherwise.

Oh, and I think this makes 500 for me. Say hello to my little tagline. Er, if I can figure out how to put it on here. Nurse!

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

As for the Oilers' WHL name, I swear I heard repeated mentions of the name "Oil Kings" associated with the WHL spectulation that started up the minute the 'Runners got boarded up. So my money's on that until I hear otherwise.

I've heard the same thing. I hope they don't use that god-awful original logo, though.

Okay, then this is the point where I do my usual lobbying for Fort Wayne...
Drawing 7-8K fans a night in crappy lower-tier leagues should be enough to convince somebody to put a top-level franchise in one of these places, shouldn't it?
Plus Fort Wayne filts in well with the AHL's Midwestern contingent...

Don't hold your breath waiting for Fort Wayne to make the jump to the American Hockey League. Here is what Komets President Michael Franke had to say about the prospects for such a move:

* The math (regarding operating costs in the AHL) doesn't make sense.

*An AHL team is running a budget between $4.5 and $5.5 million.

*The UHL budgets range from $1.5 million to the upper-twos.

*So you figure over the course of a season (in the AHL) you are probably going to have to average about 6,000 fans at $12 to $14 per ticket (before ticket surcharges to cover payments to arena leaseholders), so the tickets will have to average $17 to $18 (after the addition of the aforementioned surcharges).

*Our average ticket price is $8.75 revenue, not including Memorial Coliseum surcharges. To go to the AHL, we'd probably have to raise our ticket prices $5 to $7 across the board (before surcharges).

*I don't understand how anyone can look at a budget between $4 and $6 million and justify that budget with 4,500 people in attendance.

In other words, the club's president is concerned that his team would not be averaging 7,478 fans per game if ticket prices were hiked to cover the cost of doing business in the AHL. Further, he believes that if the Komets average attendance was driven down by the rise in ticket prices, he therefore could not justify meeting the costs of doing business at the AHL level.

In other words, the Fort Wayne Komets aren't AHL-bound under Mike Franke's stewardship.

Edmonton Gas!

At first it seemed like a natural fit. Until I said it out loud. Then it became funny.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

So the RoadRunners are still around, just... dormant?

Okay, then this is the point where I do my usual lobbying for Fort Wayne and Oklahoma City. Drawing 7-8K fans a night in crappy lower-tier leagues should be enough to convince somebody to put a top-level franchise in one of these places, shouldn't it? Plus Fort Wayne filts in well with the AHL's Midwestern contingent, and OKC would be relatively close to Houston, San Antonio, and Omaha. Two natural fits for the AHL to make their way to 30 teams. Of course, they'd probably rather stick a team in a 3,000 seat rec center in Cornhole, Delaware to expand whatever East Coast clique they like to maintain.

Oh, and I think this makes 500 for me. Say hello to my little tagline. Er, if I can figure out how to put it on here. Nurse!

OKC's the same way-the Blazers are happy making loads of money in the CHL.

As for the franchise, word on the street is that they're negotiating with the owners of the Quad City Mallards to move it down there for next season.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived