Penn State Logos

ZBoyer

Being that I'm now at Penn State for the UConn women's tournament, I've been wondering about the correct usage of the Penn State logo. I've seen the more stylized lion every once in a while, but always thought the more traditional lion silhouette in a navy circle was their logo (the one they have at center court in the Bryce Jordan Center, for example.)

However, one of their practice gyms has the new stylized lion painted in the corners. Which is the most acceptable current usage, if there is one?

I'll post these all later, but the profile-in-a-circle logo is the Primary Mark. The more modern lion - either with the wordmark, or in a shield - are the Secondary Marks.

Being that I'm now at Penn State for the UConn women's tournament, I've been wondering about the correct usage of the Penn State logo. I've seen the more stylized lion every once in a while, but always thought the more traditional lion silhouette in a navy circle was their logo (the one they have at center court in the Bryce Jordan Center, for example.)

However, one of their practice gyms has the new stylized lion painted in the corners. Which is the most acceptable current usage, if there is one?

Is it me, or is it ironic that the lion-in-circle, which is extremely stylized and is coupled with a very modern wordmark, is being called the "traditional" logo, while the generally more traditional looking lion head with the ribbon wordmark is being called the "modern" one?

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Is it me, or is it ironic that the lion-in-circle, which is extremely stylized and is coupled with a very modern wordmark, is being called the "traditional" logo, while the generally more traditional looking lion head with the ribbon wordmark is being called the "modern" one?

Well, I didn't necessarily mean that much into it -- I was just trying to make a strong differentiation between the two logos. Poor word choice, I guess.

In any case, thanks for the help. I just thought that it was odd they're using both as often, as it's not even a case of one being modified slightly. They're just completely different.

Didn't Penn State release a bunch of logos when they released the modern head logo? I swear they did but I only saw them one time. Maybe someone could give me some clarification on this.

Didn't Penn State release a bunch of logos when they released the modern head logo? I swear they did but I only saw them one time. Maybe someone could give me some clarification on this.

The variations on the Pride of Lions logo are here: http://publications.psu.edu/graph_ident_sy...phothrsymb.html

All in all, I like the Pride of Lions line much better than the head-in-oval. It just seems to fit my image of Penn State much more than the primary logo.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

A more interesting conversation would be on the occasional use of non dark blue and white. I know some hard core fans that really get fired up when they see either gray or light blue used as an accent.

Bring back the Whale!

This guy's pretty good.  I think this should be used more often:

5_CartoonLions.gif

So that guy does have some clothes, albeit for special occasions only. All along I was thinking how wierd it is that the Penn State mascot runs around the sidelines in nothing be a scarf and a smile when most other mascots wear a team uniform or something.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

So that guy does have some clothes, albeit for special occasions only.  All along I was thinking how wierd it is that the Penn State mascot runs around the sidelines in nothing be a scarf and a smile when most other mascots wear a team uniform or something.

The Nittany Lion mascot that appears at events occasionally does wear clothes. Below are pics of the lion wearing a hockey jersey at a Penn State Icers (club) hockey game and a volleyball uniform.

lion.jpg

The Beaver Stadium endzones also had the "Chipmunk" logo in the endzones up until this past season when they just had block lettering for PENN STATE. The tunnel the players come out of had the pride logo for a bit, but it is back to the regular one (definately in 2005, I forget if it was like that last year or not...) The basketball courts, hockey rink walls, not center ice(club team), Recreation Hall, fitness centers, baseball stadium scoreboards (The current one, IDK about the one being built now...), all use the Primary logo. Also, most students wearing PSU apparel either have the primary logo or the "S" logo that we have. That pride of the lions (I've never liked it going up against the "chipmunk") is seen, just it's not as popular.

Even the dining halls (Pollock for those that go/have gone here) hang a banner from each Big 10 school and a bunch of other PSU banners in between them--using the primary logo.

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

Archived