Defunct College Teams pictures

GoValpo

i just thought it would be cool to start a thread with pictures of defunct college teams such as teams like BU football or CSUF football

it would be neat to see some teams in football uniforms that u dont see every day

here is Fairfield football, sorry not a very good pic

a-watson-2001.jpg

Go Bulls, Bears, Cubs, and Blackhawks!!

GO TIGERS

Ireland_flag.gif

Unfortunately, I have no photos, but I've seen at least THREE defunct college football teams in person: Lamar (vs. Southern Miss), as well as Cal State -Fullerton and Wichita State (vs. LSU).

Gosh, I guess I'm old... I also saw the New Orleans Jazz and San Diego Clippers in person....

B)

It is what it is.

Speaking of defunct college teams, does Georgetown still have a football team? If so, why?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Here are some pictures of University of Chicago Maroons playing football as a charter member of the Big Nine (before it became the Big Ten when Michigan rejoined in 1917):

1901: versus Wisconsin

s000483.jpg

1903: versus Michigan

s002004.jpg

1904: versus Texas

s002744.jpg

1906: versus Nebraska

s005065.jpg

1910: versus Minnesota

s009031.jpg

Sorry the pics are a little unclear, but if anyone can figure which team is which in these pictures, please jump in.

There are more vintage pictures like this online here:

http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/ndlpcoop/ichih...ubjects334.html

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

Speaking of defunct college teams, does Georgetown still have a football team?  If so, why?

Division I-AA, Patriot League.

Why? Presumably because alums at most schools like football. The main reason so many schools continue to consider reviving/creating football programs despite the expense is that they hope to attract the alums who give to the schools by reminding them of autumn afternoons watching the old team march down the gridiron.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

For the record, the University of Chicago still plays in Division III in the University Athletic Association (other members: Brandeis, Carnegie Mellon, Case Western Reserve, Emory, NYU, Rochester and Washington-St. Louis. It's basically a Division III Ivy League emphasizing academics. Prior to that, from 1976-87, Chicago was a member of the Midwest Conference (schools including St. Norbert, Ripon, Coe, Illinois College, Knox and others). Football had been re-started in 1969.

139775815_cc7da57bca_o.jpg

Hey no97, UIC is a good one. I know a guy who played there from 92-96.

And a shame...

That was pre-Wolves, and I think if the team had played somewhere other than the Pavilion, and gotten more pub, it could have taken off. I still think college hockey could be a success in Chicago. Maybe DePaul (Allstate) or Northwestern (a campus rink)?

Moose

For the record, the University of Chicago still plays in Division III in the University Athletic Association (other members: Brandeis, Carnegie Mellon, Case Western Reserve, Emory, NYU, Rochester and Washington-St. Louis. It's basically a Division III Ivy League emphasizing academics. Prior to that, from 1976-87, Chicago was a member of the Midwest Conference (schools including St. Norbert, Ripon, Coe, Illinois College, Knox and others). Football had been re-started in 1969.

I actually didn't know that Chicago had reinstated football until when I was searching for those pictures, I came across the Maroons' official athletic website. That's why I qualified qualified my post as University of Chicago playing in the Big Ten. From what I understand, Chicago still has a seat on the Big Ten academic committee or something like that.

On a side note, I know it's been mentioned here on this forum before, but I still think it's interesting that the Racine-Chicago-St. Louis-Phoenix-Arizona Cardinals got their nickname from the second-hand Maroons' uniforms their owner bought for them back in 1901. Professional football's come a long way!

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

Archived