Tradition vs. Modernization

Hat Boy

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Disclaimer: this is all in good fun. nobody freak out!!

In near every thread, there is a someone who claims an old logo needs to be updated or a person who claims a modern logo bucks tradition.

To find out which is more important to you, take this small test:

Is the Dallas Cowboys star an untouchable icon or an antiquated logo that cries out for modernization?

406.gif

wait, how does a star, in any way, relate to a cowboy. (or is it just for "lone star state"???)

It is by no means a great logo.

I can't show most 10 year old girls that logo and have them know what city the team plays in or what the teams nickname is.

You have to admit, though, that there are some people you could show the Boston Red Sox (without the lettering, that is) logo to and they still wouldn't figure out that the team name is called the Red Sox.

There are some people who wouldn't recognize anything about anything to do with sports. I've got some in-laws who are just like that, too.

Well, it HAS been modernized, just not lately. It went from this:

Dallas.jpg

to this:

cowboys-64.jpg

to this (subtle change - note blue outline around star):

Dallas%20Cowboys.jpg

It's great as is. Reminds me of another timeless design from the DFW area that's as fresh today as it was when introduced in 1968:

American%20Airlines%20B777-223ER%20N753AN%20.jpg

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

It is by no means a great logo.

I can't show most 10 year old girls that logo and have them know what city the team plays in or what the teams nickname is.

You have to admit, though, that there are some people you could show the Boston Red Sox (without the lettering, that is) logo to and they still wouldn't figure out that the team name is called the Red Sox.

There are some people who wouldn't recognize anything about anything to do with sports. I've got some in-laws who are just like that, too.

If that's the case, it's because Red Sox is such an obscure nickname.

However, a great logo for a team cowboys...well, it wouldn't be hard for just about anyone to guess what the team nickname was.

The star has stood the test of time and is so identified with the Cowboys that it is the logo for them, but I won't begin to call it great.

As for brand identity you shouldn't touch it. It does the job exceptionally well. As a sports fan I would have no problems if it was updated. I think that many of the logos fall in to the "classic" category are because they haven't been changed in our life time. That could be due to owner indifference or there isn't really room for improvement.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

Disclaimer: this is all in good fun.  nobody freak out!!

In near every thread, there is a someone who claims an old logo needs to be updated or a person who claims a modern logo bucks tradition.

Is the Dallas Cowboys star an untouchable icon or an antiquated logo that cries out for modernization?

406.gif

wait, how does a star, in any way, relate to a cowboy. (or is it just for "lone star state"???)

Important cowboys such as sheriffs, deputies, Texas Rangers (not the baseball team) wore badges in the shape of a star. That along with Texas being the Lone Start State probably had a lot to do with the logo.

usa-sm.giffinland-sm.gifstars1-sm.gifdall1-sm.gif

I think that many of the logos fall in to the "classic" category are because they haven't been changed in our life time.

Are they classic because they haven't been changed, or have they not been changed because they are classic?

I am surprised that the Cowboys logo question has been so one-sided. Where are all the people who said the KC Chiefs logo or LA Dodgers logo need updating? The Cowboys logo is very plain, it has been around since the '60s and it has nothing to do with beer making...I mean, with cowboys.

Plus, the Cowboys face mask is gray!! :D

I think that many of the logos fall in to the "classic" category are because they haven't been changed in our life time.

Are they classic because they haven't been changed, or have they not been changed because they are classic?

I am surprised that the Cowboys logo question has been so one-sided. Where are all the people who said the KC Chiefs logo or LA Dodgers logo need updating? The Cowboys logo is very plain, it has been around since the '60s and it has nothing to do with beer making...I mean, with cowboys.

Plus, the Cowboys face mask is gray!! :D

Well, of course grey works because they have a silver helmet...

As for comparing this to something like the Chiefs...I think that has as much to do with design flaws as anything. The Chiefs logo uses black and red (and white of course). I think when people update the logo, they usually do one of two things or both. Add yellow into the logo, and/or put the black from the logo into the uniforms. I think it's a matter of trying to make the Chiefs logo match the uniforms. That's really the Chiefs logo's only flaw is that it adds a color to their scheme that is no where else in the uniforms.

Otherwise, I would call the Chiefs logo a much better logo than the Cowboys. It represents the nickname with the arrowhead. It represents the city with the KC. And it is as tastefully simple as the Cowboys logo.

I think the only thing keeping it being equally timeless is about 3 Super Bowl wins.

Slight changes to classic logos>Ex. The Cubs made the outside blue circle thicker.

I've said it before, but this is what I love about my St. Louis teams.

The Cardinals have updated the Birds on the Bat a lot over time, but it still has that classic look to it. Same with their STL logo.

The Blues have modified the Bluenote since their inception, and it is still one of the best logos in the league.

The Rams don't exactly have a classic logo to fall back on, but I'll use their traditional helmet. When they decided to update their look, they darkened the colors, changed the uniforms, introduced a great new logo that a lot of teams would have put on the helmet, but they kept the Horns on the helmet just in the new colors.

Slight changes to classic logos>Ex. The Cubs made the outside blue circle thicker.

I've said it before, but this is what I love about my St. Louis teams.

The Cardinals have updated the Birds on the Bat a lot over time, but it still has that classic look to it. Same with their STL logo.

The Blues have modified the Bluenote since their inception, and it is still one of the best logos in the league.

The Rams don't exactly have a classic logo to fall back on, but I'll use their traditional helmet. When they decided to update their look, they darkened the colors, changed the uniforms, introduced a great new logo that a lot of teams would have put on the helmet, but they kept the Horns on the helmet just in the new colors.

I agree with the slight changes to the Cardinals and Blues logos.

The Bears also made a slight change when they went from the solid white C to what they have now.

Disclaimer: this is all in good fun.  nobody freak out!!

406.gif

Important cowboys such as sheriffs, deputies, Texas Rangers (not the baseball team) wore badges in the shape of a star. That along with Texas being the Lone Start State probably had a lot to do with the logo.

I have no proof, but the logo might have been picked as the ownership tried out their second name: Dallas Rangers. They changed their minds when the Dallas Rangers minor-league baseball team objected!

Then they selected Cowboys.

First choice? Dallas Steers. They changed their minds on THAT one when they looked up the definition of "Steer": A castrated male ox!

What did they know, they were oilmen!

the rams have the ram head logo not on the helmet but on the jersey which kinda is a modernization of the old ram head logos from the cleveland and LA rams days.

Cleveland Rams

CLE-R_4622.gif

LA Rams 1950-1971

LA-R_862.gif

LA Rams 1972-1979

LA-R_4634.gif

St. Louis Rams 2000-present

1029.gif

not to get off topic and but since im on the old ram head logo, i found this on logoserver.com im not sure if its a concept logo or an actual logo. I know in the madden series it uses it as a primary logo for the rams of the 60s. (the quality is pretty bad, though wouldn't mind a vector of it)LARams60s.GIF

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

Archived