Reebok for a day

troy_3223

I started this during the buzz about Anaheim changing logos and all the uproar over Reebok designing next year's NHL uniforms. I took some elements of what was being said (no numbers on sleeves, new logos for everyone, etc) and I discarded some others (jerseys tucked in, no stripes, etc), and this is what I came up with. In addition, I decided to realign the divisions and conferences as follows:

Northern Conference:

Northwest Division - Calgary, Colorado, Edmonton, Seattle, Vancouver, Victoria

Great Lakes Division - Chicago, Columbus, Detroit, Minnesota, Toronto, Winnipeg

Northeast Division - Boston, Buffalo, Hartford, Montreal, Ottawa, Quebec

Southern Conference:

Southwest Division - Anaheim, Dallas, Los Angeles, Oakland, Phoenix, San Jose

Atlantic Division - New Jersey, NY Islanders, NY Rangers, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Washington

Southeast Division - Atlanta, Carolina, Florida, Nashville, St. Louis, Tampa Bay

So here's the first half of the NW division.

nw1.jpg

For Calgary, I changed the red to a deep orangey color, and made the C in the logo closer to the font that they currently use. For Colorado, I chose eggplant and powder blue because they are much colder colors than blue and burgundy. For Edmonton, I created a completely new logo basically combining an updated current with their current alternate logo. I changed their colors to burgundy, silver and bronze for a reason I've since forgotten.

Next up: Seattle, Vancouver, and Victoria

nhl94vansigpng.png

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is very interesting, to say the least.

We'll start off with Calgary:

You've got the " C" on the front of their jersey pretty close to what they use, but it still looks a bit " off " to me. Other than that, nice job. I like that orange you're using there.

Colorado - I've never seen eggplant used on a jersey. It'd take me some time to get used to. Other than that, I like what you did with the " A " logo. Beautiful.

Edmonton - I don't see anything wrong here. I definitely like the new logo you created.

I have just one peeve - where are the RBK logos?

Excellent work so far - I can't wait to see what else you come up with.

I'll start off by saying "Thank you for giving us our team back here in Winnipeg."

I'll finish off by saying (in general to jersey re-designing for the NHL)...WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY oh for the love of God WHY?!??!?!?!?!?!

Don't let Reebok see this page...they don't need ideas...leave the jerseys ALONE!

on the other hand...good work

(are you going back to the old style playoffs too? Top 4 in each division? PLEASE???)

300px-Statue_of_liberty_in_planet_of_the_apes.jpg

You maniac! You blew it up! Damn you! Damn you all to hell!

Quite abstract, I must say.But I don't like how the jersey mimics the logo. Or the colour schemes you picked for colorado and edmonton. that being said, I am intrigued to see how the rest of the league looks

after seeing these, i could end up softening my stance on the infamous swifties.

though lets pray that RBK hasn't sent any toadies to this site.

Calgary: I like the new logo, just not crazy about the black logo on white jersey. Fill it in with white and you have perfection.

colorado: i like the frozen feel, the greenish gold could go, maybe replace it with burgandy.

edmonton: i like the new version of the oil logo, i also like the use of burgandy it gives it a kinda Red Deer Rebels look and the incorporation of the logo ends around the ends of the jersey. very well done. the only thing that bothers me is that shade of gold. a more metallic gold like Vegas gold might work better.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

Continuing the new NW division, I imported two teams from the old PCHL, the Seattle Metropolitans (Metros) and the Victoria Cougars. I posted this uniform and logo for the metros a long time ago. The logo for the Canucks is new, because the current logo is basically just a corporate synergy with Orca Bay. The logo for the Cougars comes partially from the old Chicago Cougars of the WHL. I chose green and gold for the cougars because I took green and gold away from the stars.

nw2.jpg

to answer some questions - I wanted to show that a re-design didn't have to be completely drastic, in hopes that Reebok would see that it was possible. However, I couldn't think of anything respecful to do for Detroit, as you'll see tomorrow. I did think about renaming the divisions, (adding Gretzky and Howe for the SW and Great Lakes divisions, but thought against it. Bettman would never go for that, no matter how much it would make me happy). I haven't added RBK logos to the uniforms. I just can't bring myself to do it.

nhl94vansigpng.png

That Canucks set is nice, even if thousands will disagree with me. I like the sneaky V you snuck in over the shoulder-line and the colour set is nice.

liverpool-1.png

The 2nd set is much better.

Some comments--

Calgary--the logo is boring--the "C" is blocky and has no flow as a flame would--the current logo has flames as part of the "C"--maybe if you did that here as well.

Edmonton--While I like the look--it is wrong for Edmonton. Edmonton fans would be aghast at using colours so close to the dreaded Flames. I'd keep the blue for them--and use copper.

Metros look good, but the colours are a little close to the Wild's.

Vancouver looks better than what they have, and the logo makes as much sense as any they've used.

Victoria--the logo is a nice update on the old Victoria Cougar logo and also reminds me of the WHA Chicago Cougar logo. The colours work well with the design.

Overall--good stuff--I'll look for new posts with the other teams.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Some of these I find intriguing and could see them on a rink (Victoria, Calgary).

But I see a lot of pastel colors (Colorado, Vancouver) that probably wouldn't work with hockey players. I don't mind the purple on the Avalanche - it's worked for the Ducks since their inception, and teams like the Lakers, Vikings and LSU make purple work in sports. But the periwinkle and pink don't cut it.

I miss the Oilers in blue and orange. Those colors work for some team, but not Edmonton.

Also, I'm not into the all-lowercase player names for the Canucks. Very minor league IMO (yes, that even means you, Italian national soccer team).

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

I've never seen eggplant used on a jersey.

London Knights (OHL) 1993-2002

you do realize that eggplant is a shade of purple?

Yup, but a very specific shade of purple.

On another note. I like the Cougars, it's very classic, and I love the green and yellow. The Canucks looks a little too...retro? for lack of a better word (nothing else comes to mind at the moment). It looks to me like something that could be worn as a throwback, even though they've never worn it before. I think it needs a more modern look to it. Very nice though.

I like the metros and the cougars. I think the canucks jersey looks like the jerseys the flames used to have. The ones with the diagonal stripes on the front that ended before it made contact with the logo. You know what I mean right?

For the first three teams of the new Great Lakes divisoin of the Northern Conference:

ctr1.jpg

Let's just get this out of the way. I don't think this concept for Detroit is an improvement over what they currently have and SHOULD have for the rest of their existance. But in trying to think like a Reebok exec, it has to change, and it absolutely has to incorporate black. My original idea was to use what they have right now, but just make the wheel look more modern, but then someone else did that, so this is what I came up with. As for Chicago and Columbus, Chicago's is actually an update of a style they wore in the 30s or 40s. I updated the logo (slight changes to the nose, less wrinkles for a younger cheif blachawk, updated feathers for more realistic look). For columbus, I moved more towards a civil war theme (which would reinforce the new stanley cup format of North v South), using the Ohio flag which is so popular in concepts on this board, and the Union flag from the civil war (less stars than the current one. I'd hoped it was a different flag, but this is what came up in google image search.)

nhl94vansigpng.png

I really like most of your concepts. My favorites are all the ones from the second batch. (sea, van , vic). Great combination of colors and uniform designs. Of course, none of them are NHL standards, but putting that aside, keep up the good work.

But in trying to think like a Reebok exec,

Ah--that's a great built in excuse! :D

I'm not so hot on the 3rd batch--but sure--thhinking like a Reebok exec seems to expalin it.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

This latest round isn't so bad, but my gripes from the first sets remain.

Chicago and Columbus both have huge areas of pastel colors in the sweaters, which looks both faded and not right for a hockey sweater. Turn the pale yellow into an athletic gold (what the Hawks use now), it'll look much better. Columbus has plenty of blue; adding that periwinkle/lavender color doesn't add to the look at all, which is a shame, because I like the crest with the crossed flagstaffs. Incidentally, the Blue Jackets' white sweater has an awful lot of colored areas on it, which may run afoul of league standards the way BYU's football "bib" uniforms had too much dark color in a white jersey.

Some of these I really do like, but the pastel colors aren't working for me at all.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Archived