'The Duke' is back

DrBear

Maybe this isn't logo-related - but in a way it is... (following from Giants.com)

06_0327_duke.jpg

NFL clubs today unanimously endorsed a recommendation to return the name of the official game ball to ?The Duke? in honor of the late New York Giants owner WELLINGTON MARA, one of the most beloved and respected figures in professional sports history. Mara died last October.

Mara, who spent 81 years with the New York Giants and made numerous contributions to the NFL, was named Wellington by his father after the Duke of Wellington. He was given the nickname ?The Duke? as a youngster by Giants players.

The NFL game ball was known as ?The Duke? from 1941-69.

The NFL first used a ball in honor of Mara called ?The Duke? in 1941 at the suggestion of Chicago Bears owner George Halas, who had helped arrange with Giants owner Tim Mara (Wellington?s father) for Wilson to become the league?s official supplier of game balls.

?The Duke? ball was used through 1969 but was discontinued prior to the 1970 season, the first to be played in the NFL-American Football League merger. The NFL and AFL continued using a Wilson football, but with a new design.

The official NFL Wilson football will continue to be manufactured in Ada, Ohio. Wilson recently extended its NFL contract through 2011, which will mark the 70th year of partnership, believed to be one of the longest agreements in sports history.

139775815_cc7da57bca_o.jpg

I echo the above sentiments. It's a nice move to honor one of the games literal and figurative Giants.

And while we're on the subject of NFL game balls, does anyone know how often the balls are produced or replaced during the season? Seems to me that they may need (well, not actually need per se, but likely want) to change the balls to bear the signature of whomever Tags's replacement is going to be. I'm not sure when the final vote for commish is going to be taken but it seems to me that it will likely not get done before preparations are well underway for the upcoming season.

Are NFL game balls reused from game to game? If not, what happens to them after they are "retired?" Although I would suspect they're donated to nonprofits for use in recreational or youth leagues, I have no information to confirm that. Anyone who might have some insight, please chime in.

That ball might be valuable. Especially if Tagliabue is completely out before Training Camp begins.

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

Are NFL game balls reused from game to game? If not, what happens to them after they are "retired?"

I don't believe that they are used. In fact, they might be replaced within the game.

I know that the kickers use a different ball than the offense does, kept separate and apart from the regular game balls.

yeah pretty classy move, maybe they should also wear something on the helmets for a few weeks, like for pat tillman.

see:Giants jerseys during the last half of last season-

elipic.jpg

They wore the white patches after Mara died.

Put Your Hands up For Detroit (our lovely city)

Are NFL game balls reused from game to game? If not, what happens to them after they are "retired?" Although I would suspect they're donated to nonprofits for use in recreational or youth leagues, I have no information to confirm that. Anyone who might have some insight, please chime in.

I would think that several balls from the week before would be used for the next game, but I think that they use mostly new balls for each game. I think the balls that are not considered to be usable for games are then used as practice balls. The balls should then be used by a chain of several positions (QB's using newer balls, linemen and kickers using the older balls) before being thrown away.

I'm sure that other balls are then auctioned off or recycled in some way (trading card inserts, etc.).

I know that that is how it is done in college, but I'm not very certain that it is done the same way in the pros.

I'm sorry, but I've always found this incredibly cheesy, even before Mara died. It just doesn't make sense. So, the guy's nickname is "The Duke." Then you call the football itself "The Duke." Are you calling the guy a football, or are you calling the football a person?

As lame as the basketball called "The Rock" is, mg-4000-sk-syr_sml.jpg

...a football called "The Duke" is infinitely more lame.

I do think the NFL shield is cool, but ditch The Duke. Oh, and white stripes wouldn't hurt.

AstrosTransitionsSig.gif

I remember doing a term paper in college on the old American Football League. The footballs that the AFL used before the merger were made by Spalding, while the NFL used "The Duke" footballs.

Atlanta Braves, please bring back the Indian Head logo.

The Spalding one was called the J5-V, and had a slightly longer angle between the center and nose of the football, which aided a bit in passing. Before the first Super Bowl, Vince Lombardi likened it to "a Long Island frankfurter."

139775815_cc7da57bca_o.jpg

I'm thinking that the quarterbacks are going to hate getting used to throwing the new ball, because while the shield looks good, I think that it would be less of the leather on the ball to get a good grip. I know I've heard complaints in the media before about the Super Bowl balls and other special occassion balls.

I've decided to give up hope for all sports teams I follow

I'm thinking that the quarterbacks are going to hate getting used to throwing the new ball, because while the shield looks good, I think that it would be less of the leather on the ball to get a good grip. I know I've heard complaints in the media before about the Super Bowl balls and other special occassion balls.

They'll adjust

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Archived