NCAA Baseball Concepts

Moser316

Being from Arizona, Im a little dissapointed about the N.Az uniforms. I like the Alt. but the numbers on the sleves have to go. Plus I would love to have seen you use their new athletic logo on the sleeve. Maybe incorparate the word 'Jacks on the home or Alt jersey. And no pinstripe, maybe white home with blue piping.

Keep up the good work, I do love what you have done with the other schools. Always look farword to seeing what you do next.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Being from Arizona, Im a little dissapointed about the N.Az uniforms. I like the Alt. but the numbers on the sleves have to go. Plus I would love to have seen you use their new athletic logo on the sleeve. Maybe incorparate the word 'Jacks on the home or Alt jersey. And no pinstripe, maybe white home with blue piping.

Keep up the good work, I do love what you have done with the other schools. Always look farword to seeing what you do next.

The sleeve numbers will be leaving the alternate jerseys, I'm going to do a clean-sheet redesign on those. The pinstripes and sleeve numbers on the home/away jerseys will be staying, though. I just thought the wordmark and numbers on the front of the jersey would be way too much. I also didn't want to do another script logo for a directional school, with the ink barely dry on the Eastern Washington concept. Eventually, I think this whole set will read better if the alternate uniforms look more like alternate uniforms.

UPDATE: The alternate uniforms have been redone to make them look more "alternate", the home and away uniforms will not undergo any revision at this time.

316NorthernArizonaAlternate.gif

QPR%20Sig.png

This next concept is for the first of two Patriot League schools that don't sponsor baseball:  the American University Eagles.  Talk about a team in serious need of an identity overhaul!  I really didn't have too much to work with for this concept, so I decided to go simple.  The only two logos I had to work with were the AU monogram (which became the cap logo) and the eagle's head (which was used on the alternate only).  You minor league hockey fans may recognize the basis for the wordmark from the AHL's Rochester Americans logo, now the grand tradition of apeing a pro team's wordmark goes cross-sport.

316AmericanHome.gif

316AmericanAway.gif

316AmericanAlternate.gif

C&C appreciated.

Coming next:  Colgate, Boston University, New Hampshire, Drexel, Loyola (MD)

Wow. I love this whole thread, and when I saw you were making a concept for my alma mater, I was real excited. Sadly, this is the only one I don't like. Not only does it not fit with the Eagles' other sports uniforms, which are very simple, this concept just don't look that good. However, to be fair, the obscurity of AU sports doesn't make it easy to make a good concept for us.

I had tried to make a club baseball team at AU, but those plans fell through due to lack of funding. However, I always imagined a Dodgers-esque jersey for us. On campus, a hat with a white AU on blue (for some reason it was navy blue, not one of our colors) was very popular. It looks good and is reminiscent of the Dodgers.

We have a great Eagle logo that would have been good for a blue alternate (you put it only the shoulder). You have done such a good job overall, I almost feel bad being so critical.

Anyway, this whole thread is great in general. Bravo.

Wow. I love this whole thread, and when I saw you were making a concept for my alma mater, I was real excited. Sadly, this is the only one I don't like. Not only does it not fit with the Eagles' other sports uniforms, which are very simple, this concept just don't look that good. However, to be fair, the obscurity of AU sports doesn't make it easy to make a good concept for us.

I had tried to make a club baseball team at AU, but those plans fell through due to lack of funding. However, I always imagined a Dodgers-esque jersey for us. On campus, a hat with a white AU on blue (for some reason it was navy blue, not one of our colors) was very popular. It looks good and is reminiscent of the Dodgers.

We have a great Eagle logo that would have been good for a blue alternate (you put it only the shoulder). You have done such a good job overall, I almost feel bad being so critical.

Anyway, this whole thread is great in general. Bravo.

No sweat, that's what C&C is for. I did my research on American's identity and I found that they only really used two marks: the eagle head and the AU monogram. The rest of the concept I saw as a blank slate. This is how I thought American's baseball team would look, and as with any creative endeavor, it's open to interpretation. I like the idea of a Dodgers-esque jersey, but I wanted to do something with a bit more color. I guess you and I were thinking the same thing in copying an existing team's wordmark: we just went about it differently. Nothing wrong with that, it's all about personal taste.

Moving on, with the surprise cancellation of our team's practice tonight, I've finally found time to work on my next concept: the Vikings of Portland State University. This was another team that I really had to think about how to interpret the identity onto the uniform. Since the University of Portland already has a baseball program, I didn't want to do a Portland script wordmark (with "State" in the tail, of course). Instead, I did something similar to what I did for Northern Arizona (the full school name in seperate letters in the athletic font), but made it small enough to put the number below. Other than that, not really much to say about these. Since the green is so dark, I thought I'd point out that the piping is tri-color, not just black and white.

316PortlandStateHome.gif

316PortlandStateAway.gif

316PortlandStateAlternate.gif

C&C appreciated.

The last team (?): Weber State

QPR%20Sig.png

The alternate looks like an alternate but I personally don't like it. The script looks too plain and i've never been a fan of the zephyr hat logos. I do like the effective simplicity of the home and away set and I like tri-color piping.

Well gents, after two and a half months of concepts, the NCAA Baseball project has finally reached the end. This final concept is for the Wildcats of Weber State University in Ogden, Utah. For this last Big Sky Conference concept, I decided to go sleeveless. I've always liked Weber State's color scheme and identity, and for the script, I took my precedent from the school's proudest athletic moment: the Harold "The Show" Arceneaux-led basketball upset of North Carolina in the 1998 NCAA Tournament (VitaminD, since you're so consistent in your critiques, I had to make this last one a challenge to judge on its merits alone :P).

316WeberStateHome.gif

316WeberStateAway.gif

316WeberStateAlternate.gif

C&C appreciated.

This last part is normally where you'd see me announce the teams that I'm doing next. But since this is it, I would like to quote one Ferris Bueller: "You're still here? It's over! Go home!"

QPR%20Sig.png

I've always liked Weber State's color scheme and identity, and for the script, I took my precedent from the school's proudest athletic moment: the Harold "The Show" Arceneaux-led basketball upset of North Carolina in the 1998 NCAA Tournament (VitaminD, since you're so consistent in your critiques, I had to make this last one a challenge to judge on its merits alone :P).

I would've written sooner but this made me throw up in my mouth. The Arceneaux reference put me on the floor with searing groin pain. (BTW, the game was in 1999; we made the Final Four in '98 (my senior year) and lost to Utah. I was in Ireland for the '99 game and didn't hear about it until 2 days after. :cry: )

But I have dusted myself off, so here goes - I promise to try to be objective...

Overall, another quality effort. I'm glad purple predominates, since they have a good-looking but generally underutilized color scheme. The font is close to what they wore during their one shining moment, but it's a little off. I am guessing it's a custom font, and what you used more than serves the purpose. IIRC, didn't they use a non-Block Varsity font at some point? I thought they did, but I've also tried to repress any memories of that game ever happening... :hockeysmiley:

A couple of gripes...

- when I see a purple cap with a block "W" on it, I think Washington Huskies. Since I can't think of any school that uses "WS", that might alleviate any confusion. (Wichita State uses a script "W" and different colors from U-Dub.)

- I'm not crazy about the gray cap with a gray jersey. I'd prefer purple all around, only because it's a great color, and that'd be an awful lot of gray in a college baseball concept, where color tends to dominate traditional white/gray rules.

This has been a great concept series to follow. I wish some of these schools would field teams so we could see how close you came to what they'd actually wear in games. Bravo, sir... take a bow and a well-deserved break.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Archived