NCAA Baseball Concepts

Moser316

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dude, you're good. Period.

Just good? Please try and do better with your praise next time :P

But I digress. It's off to the west, and the second of two Mid-Continent concepts: the University of Missouri-Kansas City Kangaroos. I did my best to keep this identity simple, taking my cues for the piping from the recent change in the Royals uniforms. Because of the two layers of trim, I thought piping down the button panel would be too busy. Even though the school is starting to go by the initials "UMKC" rather than the full school name, I used a more collegiate-looking version of the Royals "KC" monogram. I thought it would be a nice subtle nod to the pro team in town, not unlike when UW-Milwaukee used a version of the old Germanic "MILWAUKEE" wordmark from the Brewers.

316MissouriKansasCityHome.gif

316MissouriKansasCityAway.gif

316MissouriKansasCityAlternate.gif

C&C appreciated.

Coming next: Hampton, Howard, Morgan State, South Carolina State, Robert Morris, St. Francis (PA)

QPR%20Sig.png

I'd like to see an alternate with the kangaroo shoulder patch on the hat for UMKC.

The kangaroo really doesn't strike me as a good hat logo, it's much too detailed.

QPR%20Sig.png

I'd like to see an alternate with the kangaroo shoulder patch on the hat for UMKC.

The kangaroo really doesn't strike me as a good hat logo, it's much too detailed.

Agreed, as a KC native i'm very happy with your UMKC concept. I really love how you pulled the home-town Royals into it and made it great. The blue alt would definately be in my hands if they sold those!

Keep the C&C coming, gents.

This next team is the first of four historically black colleges from the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference that do not sponsor baseball: the Hampton University Pirates. One thing I've noticed about the four teams in this conference is that their visual identities are usually either weak (usually a cartoon -- look at Hampton's cartoonish "smoove brotha" pirate for an example) or non-existent. Since Hampton's teams are called the Pirates, I took my cues mainly from the Pittsburgh Pirates. It worked surprisingly well with their color scheme. The drop shadowing on the home/away letters comes from the basketball uniforms (only theirs is black, I wanted to keep the color as far away from these uniforms as possible).

316HamptonHome.gif

316HamptonAway.gif

316HamptonAlternate.gif

C&C appreciated, as always.

Coming next: Howard, Morgan State, South Carolina State, Robert Morris, St. Francis (PA), Tennessee State

QPR%20Sig.png

Very nice work on UMKC and Hampton (and all the others, of course). One of my best friends from high school went to Hampton. He would be proud.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Good work with Hampton, man. I just wished you would of used the logo they currently have (NOT the smooth brotha pirate, but the current logo. I don't think CC's place has it though) as a patch.

Now, I like to see what you can do for Howard and their Buffalo Bill rip offs. :P

Thanks for the comments, as always.

My next concept is for the second of four MEAC schools: the Bison of Howard University. Like Hampton, Howard simply doesn't have much to work with besides the Buffalo Bills rip-off they call a logo. I still used it, because it beat the cartoon bison head alternative. I went with script logos for Howard because I haven't used one in a while and it seemed to work well with the Nationals-style piping.

316HowardHome.gif

316HowardAway.gif

316HowardAlternate.gif

C&C welcomed.

Next: Morgan State, South Carolina State, Robert Morris, St. Francis (PA), Tennessee State, UT-Chattanooga

QPR%20Sig.png

Wow let me get caught up!

Jags- Love this college my whole life, colors and logo, awesome!

UMKC- Not my fav. but there is good to make here, Like the script and the selve logo

Hampton- Retro, old style which is totaly awesome

Howard- One of the bes , love everything! really the hat logo!!

teams.gif

Someone be a World Champ, please!

Fantasy Football Keeper League.....PM me if you want to join!!

Thanks for all the comments, everyone. It looks like I really struck a chord with the Howard concept.

Now it's time to unveil the concept for one of Howard's biggest rivals: the Bears of Morgan State University in Baltimore. Unlike the other three MEAC schools done for this project, Morgan State does have a fairly solid brand identity for its athletic program. But like New Hampshire, it's one I found a difficult time translating over to baseball. I used Crillee again for the wordmarks (it's what they use for their logos), and what you see is probably the best translation I've done for a baseball concept. Also, instead of using their detailed primary logo for the sleeve patch, I've used the rarely-seen bear paw logo (found in the background of their web pages).

316MorganStateHome.gif

316MorganStateAway.gif

316MorganStateAlternate.gif

C&C appreciated.

Coming next: South Carolina State, Robert Morris, St. Francis (PA), Tennessee State, UT-Chattanooga

QPR%20Sig.png

Keep that feedback coming, fellas.

Anyway, it's on to the last of the four MEAC schools: the South Carolina State University Bulldogs. Another MEAC team, another cartoonish mascot identity. SCSU really didn't have much for me to work with, so I took some artistic license with this one (namely the cap logo, yes, it's lifted from USC with STATE underneath). One departure from a lot of their team uniforms was the BULLDOGS wordmark instead of what they usually use, S.C. STATE. The reason for this is that I don't like to use abbreviations, it just looks so unprofessional.

316SouthCarolinaStateHome.gif

316SouthCarolinaStateAway.gif

316SouthCarolinaStateAlternate.gif

C&C appreciated.

Coming next: Robert Morris, St. Francis (PA), Tennessee State, UT-Chattanooga

QPR%20Sig.png

Thanks for all the comments, everyone. It looks like I really struck a chord with the Howard concept.

Now it's time to unveil the concept for one of Howard's biggest rivals: the Bears of Morgan State University in Baltimore. Unlike the other three MEAC schools done for this project, Morgan State does have a fairly solid brand identity for its athletic program. But like New Hampshire, it's one I found a difficult time translating over to baseball. I used Crillee again for the wordmarks (it's what they use for their logos), and what you see is probably the best translation I've done for a baseball concept. Also, instead of using their detailed primary logo for the sleeve patch, I've used the rarely-seen bear paw logo (found in the background of their web pages).

316MorganStateHome.gif

316MorganStateAway.gif

316MorganStateAlternate.gif

C&C appreciated.

Coming next: South Carolina State, Robert Morris, St. Francis (PA), Tennessee State, UT-Chattanooga, Arkansas-Pine Bluff

- That paw has GOT to go on the hats. At the very least on the alts...

- Maybe the alts could be a vest with the M STATE "M" on one side, number on the other? Maybe?

SigReflect.png

Just out of curiousity, where are you finding all the wordmarks and logos? Or are you making them yourself... which would make this lil project of yours even more impressive...

hjwii

- That paw has GOT to go on the hats. At the very least on the alts...

- Maybe the alts could be a vest with the M STATE "M" on one side, number on the other? Maybe?

1) The paw is more of a sleeve patch than a cap logo. It's simple enough to work as a cap logo, but I like to avoid using symbols instead of initials if at all possible.

2) I just did vests for Hampton, and the M-STATE logo isn't an official school logo, it's just something I made up for the caps.

In response to the other post, the wordmarks for the four MEAC teams were done by me using premade fonts (i.e. Howard uses PhillySportScript, Hampton uses eriqjaffe's Pirates font). If it's a vertically arched Pro Block font, I have a technique that I use in AutoCAD to make sure it comes out perfect every time. After the font is made, I use the Print Screen button, copy it into PSP7, and re-color for the team I'm doing (you can see an example of that with South Carolina State).

QPR%20Sig.png

I think its time you gave Kentucky and Notre Dame some love.

manning2.gif

BUSCH STADIUM III IS COMING,ARE YOU READY?

INDIANAPOLIS COLTS (12-4-0) NEXT GAME VS KANSAS CITY

TB LIGHTNING (19-20-2) NEXT GAME @ COLORADO

ATLANTA THRASHERS(24-12-6) NEXT GAME VS PHOENIX

COLTS BACK TO BACK PLAYOFF APPEARANCES 05-06/06-07

Archived