ABA to open Football League

Gamingboy

American Basketball Association to Revive All-American Football Conference

The All-American Football Conference was the primary rival to the National Football League during the late 1940s. It's most well known for being the birthplace of the Cleveland Browns and San Francisco 49ers.

Now, Joe Newman, founder and owner of the the American Basketball Association, the ?fastest growing sports league in the world?, will bring it back.

?We look forward to bringing all the excitement and family fun of the ABA to Professional Football.? Newman said, ?Like the ABA does in Basketball, we believe that the economic system we have pioneered will work extremely well in the untapped Football markets of North America.?

During the press conference, held in Indianapolis late last night, Newman dropped the names of the various markets that had already reserved a market and paid the $20,000 dollar franchise fee. Among them were  major metropolitan areas such as Milwaukee, Los Angeles, Las Vegas, Honolulu, Boston, Syracuse (NY), Tijuana (Mexico), Indianapolis and Harlem. Newman also stated that San Antonio, Portland (Oregon) and Canadian cities were possibilities as well.

The All-American Football Conference, also known as the AAFC, existed from 1946 to 1949, with the Cleveland Browns winning all of the league's championships before the league was absorbed by the NFL in December, 1949. The San Francisco 49ers also joined the NFL.

The ?new? AAFC is expected to begin play in September of 2007. The teams for the AAFC will be finalized on April 1st of 2007, one year from this writing.

I wonder if they're gonna have a red-white-and-blue Football?

Insert Witty Signature Here.

I also wonder if the teams are going to have horrible nicknames and the league having at least 64 teams competing in their first season.

64 opening the season, which should lead to about 6 remaining by the end, perhaps?

The Apocalypse has begun! :devil:

Seriously folks, how good of a team could you throw together for a mere $20,000? Most semi-pro teams need at least that to start up. Professional teams need millions. $$$

Why put teams in markets with NFL influence in them already? Why put teams in Boston, Indianapolis, and Milwaukee when all three have very popular and successful NFL teams in their backyards?

Many of these cities do not have have decent stadiums to play in. Is there a stadium in Harlem aside from a high school field? One could point out Columbia University's Wein Stadium unitl you realize that it only seats 17,000. Not that it matters because they won't need anywhere near that numbers of seats anyway.

Honolulu? The travel costs alone will be the backbreaker. Syracuse, NY? No. Between the Orangemen and the Bills just down the road, there isn't much of a market left to invest in a pro team. Tijuana? Are you kidding me? Tijuana is considered to be Mexico's biggest illicit drug & prostitution center....Wait, are the Gliebermans in charge of this team? Nothing from the ABA operations has given me any indication that this will be run any better.

Despite all the teams the ABA has, I have seen no media coverage, poor marketing, and have done very little to get stability. About the only thing that has impressed me so far is that somehow they;ve managed to produce any games at all. They say a fool and his money a quickly parted. The ABA has a whole ship of fools and no doubt this AAFC pipe dream will find a few more.

We all have our little faults. Mine's in California.

HAPPY APRIL FOOLS DAY!!

Can somebody PLEASE tell me how it took so long for somebody to figure that out? Or were you all just going along with the gag?

Truth be told the ABA has been such a long running joke, that this really didn't sound as far-fetched as it might have.

In all fairness though...ya got me ^_^

We all have our little faults. Mine's in California.

I also was working on a logo to make it even more believable. In the finest ABA tradition, I was using Clip art. I never finished it (I still had to add in AAFC somewhere on it), but here's what I got:

AAFCfootball.jpg

It looks like a 7 year old did it using Paint, but that's on par with most ABA logos.

Does nobody around here pay attention to the calendar these days?

:therock:

This wasn't the only April Fools thing I saw today--so that hlped in being skeptical.

Still given the ABA's habits it wouldn't. as mentioned abpve, be so far fetched.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Archived