WHA Concept Project

Frylock

The city so nice, they named it twice...

Yes, I have finally posted my NY Raiders concepts.  These are version 2.0 -- the first set really sucked.  I finally kind of gave up on fixing the first design, and went with something a little more conservative.

STL -- I'm probably going to leave the Alt as-is.  It's not identical to the orginal Aeros roadies (it's missing the shoulder stars) but it just about how I wanted it to look.  I might consider tweaking it down the road, but not right now.

As for the Ottawa jerseys, you should've seen the originals.  Yikes!  :o   The double stripe theme was a little crazier, and the top set was more towards the center of the jersey.  It was partly inspired by the original Nationals jerseys, and partly by a sweater (not a hockey sweater) that I have.  It just didn't work on a 2D hockey template.  :)

As always, thank you for the feedback!

4409811293_559b1d05dd_o.jpg

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Double your pleasure, double your fun...

I have added two more teams to the pile -- the New York Golden Blades and the Quebec Nordiques.  Thank you to Snowcap (via Roger Clemente) for the Nashville numbers used on the Golden Blades jersey.

Onto the overdue replies...

Steamers -- Originally, I kind of resisted doing anything with the 4 WHA teams that did merge with the NHL.  But you got me thinking, and I realized that this is all just a fantasy thing, so why the hell not?  I have posted my Nords jerseys -- see above.

Snowcap -- Wow!  :o  For once, the Islanders have a freakin' professional looking jersey!  If you want to use it/repost it, all I ask is that you mention that it was inspired by a Frylock WHA design.  Man...  That jersey rocks.  Can you imagine the road jersey with an Oilers crest?  That might work, too...

Ney York Blades looks pretty darn good. I'm not big on the Nordiques ones, but they are alright.

My problem with that NY Raiders jersey as an Isles jersey, is it is a rip off of the Blue with a little bit of the Wild in it. It would be fine in another league, but not the same one. Everything about the design is Blues, except the fron part of the shoulders is the Wild's striping, plus it uses a nike collar. I'm not ripping on the design, but using a jersey that close to the Blues (and Wild a bit) in the same league as the Blues would not work.

You want feedback?  I got your feedback right here.

Bulls- upside down swish is cool.  Nice bulls horn tie-in.  The jagged numbers clash with the smooth curves on the jersey.

Stingers- Classic, very nice.  The yellow 3rd is the only yellow/gold jersey I ever liked.

Crusaders- I didn't get that those were swords running down the sleeves until I saw the pants.  But I like them.  Also like the numbersinside a shield.  3rd jersey waves are cool, but I don't like them that high up.  They might look better around the elbow area.  Bottom needs waves, too.

Spurs- Home socks need some brown in them.  The brown jersey actually works, though some of us here(no names needed) WOULD BURN IT.

Aeros- Nicee logos (word mark on H&A and the Texas logo).  Pretty nice unis.

Sharks-  Jerseys are ok, numbers are great.  3rd needs red in it.  I always thought a Russian national style jersey might compliment the logo nicely.

Stags- Like the racks on the shoulders.  Don't like brown/gold jersey.  Eww.

Golden Blades- nice uni with a crappy logo.

Raiders-  Excellent unis.  I like the road better.

Nationals- Great take on logo, better than the "ON" logo.  Good jerseys.

Nordiques- Flour d'lis(sp) goes up too far on the sleeves.  Home stripes need some red, logo needs some light blue.  3rd is interesting, but sleeves, shoulders, back, are way too plain.  They would look like team Japan's home unis.  Take away the end of sleeve stripes on the Japan ones and you have the perfect blank jersey to add any style you want to it.

Blazers-  Too crazy for my likes.  Like the home jersey, not the logo, but the rest really doesn't fly with me.

• 3 weeks later...

Oh man...  Has it been that long since I've replied or posted any WHA concepts?  :o

STL -- Thank you for the feedback.  To be honest with you, my Raiders concept was not original design and I was kind of struggling with it.  Click here to see the original home and road design.  For whatever reason, I never felt comfortable with it...

Sabres7200 -- WOW!  Thank you for taking the time to comment on every jersey!  That must've taken some time.  Even though there are a couple things we disagree on, I greatly appreciate the feedback.

Regarding the Nordiques third, the only reason the back is so plain is because, IMO, the striping would've interfered too much with the numbers.  I suppose the sleeves could've used some fleur-de-lis', and the shoulders could've used the reg. crest, but I didn't want the jersey to look too cluttered.  Maybe I missed the mark on that one...

Anyhow...  I have posted two new teams to my collection of concepts:  The Edmonton Oilers and the Minnesota Fighting Saints.  All I really want to point out is that the Fighting Saints alt is inspired by the jersey worn by the kid in the logo.  Some of it required using my own judgement, but it's pretty close.

Also, the neckline on the Oilers jersey is a modification from the Roger Clemente template.  This one comes to more of a point at the bottom.  It probably could use some tweaking, but I figured I'd give it a shot.

Remember, the links can be found in the first post of this thread.  Enjoy!  :)

Saints and oilers both look great. I would add shoulder logos to the Saints though. The Oilers could wear that now IMO. It would have to have some tweaks in color and stuff if they were to, but it looks very very good.

I agree with you about the raiders original ones. I like them alright, but something about them is off, and I couldn't tell you what it was.

Good job overall.

excellent excellent work.....there's a lot of great ideas here...i like the Golden Blades colour scheme and the design(it's hard to believe a team from New York would wear a logo with a womans figure skate on it)Ottawa would look better with blue pants instead of red....the Bulls was really good....the Sharks was nice except a different shade of red,deeper shade,would work better(my eyes,my eyes!!!)i love that logo for the Spurs,was that their original logo....the Aeros is nice...the Nordiques is alright,i like the alt. the best...not stuck on the shade of blue you used on the road...like the Raiders and i agree that it would work great as an Isle uni...the Stingers,Oilers and Crusaders are all very nice...the only ones i don't care for are the Stags and the Blazers,would have preferred to see some black on the Blazers.... :cool:

Wow!!!  As always, thank you for the feedback, everyone!  I always appreciate hearing your thoughts, ideas, suggestions, and yes, even criticism of my concepts.  Of course, I prefer praise to criticism!  :;):

Devilfish -- Interesting suggestion!  I'm familiar with backgrounds on those teams, except for the Florida Breakers.  I haeven't found anything on them.  I would certainly entertain the idea of trying some concepts on those teams, but I'm no good at creating new logos.  But you never know.  I just might give it a try!

sNOwcAp -- Glad you like the Sharks numbers!  I kind of stole my own idea for San Jose Sharks numbers, and modified it for the LA Sharks.  As for the #79, it represents the last year of the WHA (1978/79) and the first year of the merger (1979/80).

STL -- I agree on the Saints jerseys.  I had first tried it with the "S" logo on the shoulders, but it looked too big or cluttered or something, so I ditched it.  Perhaps I should give it another try?  As for the Oilers now, try this...

leafs4ever -- Wow!  Thanks for the feedback!  Good call on the Golden Blades!  :laugh: My thoughts on Ottawa were that if the NY Rangers could do it, why not for my concept, too?  For the LA Sharks, I probably should've gone with a deeper red, but I tried to stay faithful to the original colors, while adding silver for contrast.  I really wanted to use a blood red, but thought that might've been in bad taste.  Yes, that's the original WHL/CHL/WHA Denver Spurs logo.  I just re-colored it, and eliminated the orange.  Looks better, IMO.  Regarding the Blazers, I kind of think that if I had added black, the design could've been used as a Calgary Flames concept.  Hmm...  I just might have to give that a try!  Thanks for the suggestion!  :)

Okay...  I posted two more sets of concepts -- the Calgary Cowboys and Phoenix Roadrunners.  I know some of you might have an issue with what I did on the Cowboys road jersey, but I thought it was quirky enough to go with.  As for the 'Runners, I don't think it's one of my best, but at 1 in the morning, it looked good.

Enjoy!!!

more good work there Fry,i always thought the Phoenix Roadrunners was a great team name and i like the colours and the design of their uni,the Cowboys had one of the cheapest looking logos in the history of sport,but i like what you did for their unis,they have a Team Canada look to them.also i like the little touch on the leg of the pants...as far as the Oiler re-do it looks nice but i like the original one you did just as much.....i can't wait for the Chicago Cougars uni...i would also expect you'll be doing a Winnipeg,New England and Indianapolis jersey but are you going to do a Baltimore Blades and San Diego Mariners jersey as well :cool:

The Cleveland Crusaders were going to move to Fort Lauderdale and become the FLORIDA BREAKERS. While a logo and uniform wasn't designed that name was confirmed by the owners as well as the papers. But a lack of an arena killed the move. The team went to St.Paul and became the reincarnated MINNESOTA FIGHTING SAINTS instead. If you do design a jersey I suggest maybe aqua. The same colour of the California Golden Seals at the time. And the logo could be an "F" inside a wave? It's your call though. :angry:

I was watching "Coach" last night. When Coach Hayden Fox left Minnesota State for the NFL, his team was the Orlando Breakers. A very cheap looking wave with text was the logo. Teal Light blue and yellow were the colors.

Hey...  Thanks again for the feedback, guys!  You're certainly making my ego feel better!  :;):

STL -- Ah!  Red!  I knew the modern Oilers concept was missing something.  I'll take care of that...  As for the Calgary concept, sorry, the contrasting nameplate stays.  I knew that wasn't going to fly with some people, but remember my warning about the jerseys?  In this concept, there is no tradition to be bound to.  :)   Regarding the Phoenix jersey, do you mean I should flip the white and yellow stripes?  I'll give that some thought.

Devilfish -- Thank you for the info!  That's all new to me.  I was under the impression that the New Fighting Saints were just that - a new franchise.  Cool idea for the Breakers!  I will give that a try, but remember, I'm no good at designing my own logos.

leafs4ever -- Thanks, bro!  Yes, I hope to have concepts for those teams that you mention.  In fact, I'm almost done with a set of Winnipeg Jets concepts.  I had been working on a Cougars concept, but got frustrated with it and set it aside.  Perhaps it's time to tackle it again...

STL -- Thank you!!!  I knew the Florida Breakers sounded familiar!

Anyhow, I hope to have those Jets concepts up in a few days.  Keep watching!

Got some new concepts posted...

Taking Devilfish's suggestions, I created a Florida Breakers concept using teal and a dark blue.  I tried to get a teal close to what the Golden Seals used, but I don't have RGB's for that.  I think it's kinda close, though.  As for the Breakers crest, well, it's crappy because of the limitations of MS Paint.  But it's supposed to be a slanted lower-case "f" with the top half being a wave.  I thought about adding yellow or orange to the color scheme, but it ended up looking like either the Miami Dolphins or New Orleans Hornets...

Now, as for the established teams, I posted a trio of Winnipeg Jets concepts.  I suppose these look a little traditional (cough, cough, Rangers...) but I think they're good.  Working on the Jets concepts, I never realized how much the jet in the modern Jets logo kinda looks like a Gibson Explorer guitar.  :D

Enjoy!

Archived