WHA Concept Project

Frylock

hey Fry,i like your Breaker uni as far as the concept and the colours but as you said yourself the logo kinda takes away from the overall look....as for the Jets,i really like the little extra touches on the shoulders and slleeves and the way you put the jets on the front of the alt.,i like the grey in the road uni,would have looked good on the home as well IMO,i like the design of the alt.,i'm not sure that red really works for me though but great job overall

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh man...  Wow!  Thanks for all the feedback!  Even though I say it every time, I really do mean it.  I admit that I don't give feedback as much as I should, but I sincerely appreciate the time you guys give to post feedback.

Shark -- Let me guess:  You don't use UPS for anything, do you?  :P

Devilfish -- I'm glad you like the Breakers concept!  I felt the logo had a tinge of the '70s in it, too.  Maybe I was subconciously thinking of the Trail Blazers logo?  If I could go back and change anything, I'd make the crossline on the 'f' a sideways hockey stick.  Otherwise, there's no identity to what sport is belongs to.  Any thoughts on that?  Anyhow, I'll get the road jersey posted soon.

leafs4ever -- Yeah, I just tried to capture the essence of the logo.  Fortunately, I think the idea came through, regardless of my limitations.  Regarding the Jets jerseys, I never thought of using the grey instead of red on the home jerseys.  I might have to check that out.  Of course, the red goes well with the logos.

STL -- I actually tried using more red on the blue jersey, but it looked so much like the NY Rangers, it wasn't funny!  :)  By the way...  Try that link for the modern Oilers jerseys again.  I've updated the image with more red trim on the jerseys.  LMK what you think.

Snowcap -- Glad you like the curves.  I was looking for something that worked with the wave on the logo, but I wanted to avoid the wavy lines from the NY Islanders fishsticks jerseys.

One thing I want to mention about the Jets jerseys -- Even though there's a lot of red on the home and alt (obviously) the Jets color to me will always be blue.  And that's why the road jersey doesn't have much red to speak of.  I also wanted to incorporate a lot of white on the road jersey, in recognition of the Jets' white-out events.  Shame on the Coyotes for stealing that tradition.  And people wonder why they stink in the playoffs...  :;):

Anyways, I do have a pair of new concepts I've posted.  The New England Whalers have been added to the fold.  I realize the harpoon (yes, the politically incorrect harpoon is back!) is awfully big, but any smaller and it loses detail.  Enjoy, and long live the whale!

4409811293_559b1d05dd_o.jpg

I think we have ourselves a winner with that Oilers design. If nothing else it fits them sooo much better than their current alt.

That Whalers jersey is amazing. I am big on consistency though, so I would say either seperate the stripes (and logo outlines) our don't. Right now the sleeve and body stripes are seperated, and so is the outline of the Whale logo. Then, the shoulders are not seperated, and nither is the crest logo outlines. Also, I would add white to the pants in whichever style of striping you go with. I realize I just rambled on bad things, but realize how minor that little thing was and that the overall appearence of that jersey kicks some major yeah..

• 2 weeks later...

As always, thanks for the feedback!  I like to think that all you guys help make my concepts better.

STL -- Excellent point about the consistency on the Whalers jerseys.  The seperation on the sleeve and waist stripes was on purpouse, as I didn't want the jersey to look too similar to the California Golden Seals jerseys of the early '70s.  But after thinking about it, I really should remove the seperation so everything flows better.  It would definitely improve the design.  Good call!

Snowcap -- Thanks!

Devilfish -- Good points about the other logos.  As for the crest, it would take some work to change it that much.  I might be able to do it, I might not.  Good news is that I got the color for those aqua Seals sweaters, so I will be uploading a modification of the home Breakers and a road Breakers either tonight or tomorrow as time permits.

Shark -- A UPS truck just drove by the house.  Bite me.   :P  (j/k bro!)

sanq --  Well! :cool:  Very interesting!  But isn't there always someone trying to revive and old, defunct league?  Is that ABA2000 still around?  Furthermore, I doubt they would use the old names, let alone the logos.  But I'm sure some of my concepts could be of some use!  I'll have to look into this a bit more...

And speaking of concepts...  I have added a set (H/R) of Indianapolis Racers jerseys, as well as a set (H/R/A) of Baltimore Blades jerseys.  Incidentally, the letters on the Blades concepts are my interpertation of the Montreal Canadiens letters...

Enjoy!

Shark --  :laugh: I believe it!  BTW, I think you might like one of my new concepts.  Read on...

STL -- Thanks for the comments!  For the Racers, I kind of took some of the ideas I had for a Canadiens concept and re-tooled it just a bit.  I think it worked out nicely.  For the Blades, I was very concerned that the home and road jerseys were a bit too plain, so I tweaked the stripes so they were all a different thickness in descending order, just to mix things up a bit.  I can see what you mean about the alt.  I've always like the 'reverse image' idea on jerseys, so I didn't even think of extending the stick over the back.

Incidentally, I didn't realize that I used the same numbers (RC's Phoenix resources) on the Blades H/R set as I did on the Michigan Stags H/R set.  Does that matter?  No, but in the real WHA the Stags moved to Baltimore.  Of course, the Blades wore recycled AHL Clippers jerseys, and not recycled Stags/Sharks jerseys.  But I digress...

Okay, more concepts posted today.  I re-posted the Florida Breakers concepts with a slightly different shade of aqua/teal.  It's hopefully more like the California Golden Seals of the early 1970s.  But I added a road jersey to go with it, so that's new.  And for SharkHatesBrown, I've posted a San Francisco Sharks concept.  I used a previous idea of mine for a California Seals concept, and I think it still works.  No brown here!  :D

Guys, thank you for the feedback!  Just to clarify, the main reason I went with the bridge trim for the SF Sharks was because it was a bit loud and outrageous.  It fits with my WHA criteria.  :D

Devilfish -- I'll try the Broncos, but there's no guarantee it'll look any good.  Remember, I don't have much flexibility with MS Paint!  Also, I'm working on a SD Mariners concept, so it may be a while before I get to the Broncos.

Snowcap -- Thanks for the link!  I'll keep an eye on that. I might e-mail them, but I'm not sure how I'll go about presenting my ideas.  I mean, anybody can create ideas for trim.  The real value is in creating the logos, which I unfortunately don't have.

Okay...  I've posted a home/road set of Chicago Cougars concepts.  I've dumped the dark green and yellow scheme in favor of a lighter green and Vegas gold.  I've included a little bit of dark green for contrast, though.  I've also created a secondary logo for the home shoulders and road crest.

Enjoy!

Archived