Gutless warriors

NJTank

Unless the Yankees rebound and win the World Series the lasting image in my head will by David Wells leaving the game and Jason Giambi asking out of teh line up.

I can understand missing a game in Sepetmber with these injuries, but in Game 5 of the World Series not to play just makes me doubt their comitment. Its Ganme 5 of a World Series tied 2-2. Playiong hurt is a part of the game and when it gets to the World Series unless you cant wlak you shoudl be out there. These guys can rest in next week all tehy want but both backing out is a major disappointment.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Its a sign of a champion when you fight through adersity to triumph. These guys laying down to die, its not a sign of a champion. it's a sign of weakness. these guys are giving up, and they aren't even on the brink (well......not when this happened) If this is their attitude, they don't deserve to win

Its the World Series everybody has some aches and pains, and Giambi has had a sore knee since August I find it unacceptable he could not play in Game 5. There is no excuse for it. I guess winning is not that important any more.

ecyclopedia.gif

champssigtank.png

If I've just played about 20 ST games, 162 Regular season games, an all star game, 11 playoff games, and 4 WS games, I'd be pretty damn tired too.

Bodies just break down, as in all athletic activity. Even in my rec hockey league, after about 17 games, I just get horribly tired. It just all adds up.

He's probably in EXTREME pain, Tank.

At most their are 3 games left you have to tough it out. I mean you can rest starting Monday for 4 months. I can understand sitting out a game in Spetember but never the World Series. Giambi came in as a pinch hitter, and homered. If he coudl have done taht he could have played 9 innings at 1B the postion where you need the least amount of body movement.

ecyclopedia.gif

champssigtank.png

they play all season to try to get to where they are, now that its almost over, this is when you stretch yourself, make that extra effort that seperates the champions from the other 29 teams,

wounds heal, chicks dig scars, and glory lasts forever

Yeah, but consider that they have Nick Johnson to sub, an extremly accomplished player. Nick Johnson 100%, or Jason Giambi 60%?

It's just, you shouldn't call him gutless.  Have you ever had a serious knee injury?  The pain is extreme and constant.

I'd rather miss him for a few games with a decent starter to replace him then have him out for a career

I'd be first in line to call the Yankees gutless, but I'm going to play devil's advocate here for a minute.  With Wells, he was having back spasms.  Think about the motion of pitching and how it could really hurt the most right when you're releasing the ball.  It could completely move the ball off target and either cause you to throw a long string of bad pitches and balls, or it might move it right inside/outside/wherever, where the batter can get a good knock at it.  He took himself out because of his pain, but also because if he isn't able to pitch well, who knows how many runs the Marlins could have gotten.  By bringing in a fresh, 100% pitcher, you take away the advantage the Marlins get by receving slower, worse pitches from a hurt Wells.

As for Giambi, if it's his back leg while batting that hurts, then I can kind of understand.  Your back leg twists, which would make the pain absurd.  Also, he probably couldn't run full speed which would mean it be easier to toss him out while running.  I think Giambi should have played, and I think he would have had it been in NY an he could have just been DH.  But having to play a full 9 innings might have been too much if his knee was hurting a whole lot.  If you're only stepping on to the field three or four times, then you can certainly work through a good amount of pain and try for the long ball.

With that said, GO FISH!!  It's 2-0 Marlins in the top of the 9th.

Giambi's knee is not that bad he only needs atro surgery thats nothing. In the World Series you got to go the extra mile and Giambi didnt thats why the Yankees lost.

ecyclopedia.gif

champssigtank.png

I'd rather miss him for a few games with a decent starter to replace him then have him out for a career

As a Yankee Fan, I'm questioning that. Giambi has done nothing here in the post-season, in fact he done nothing in the post-season in his career, he did nothing in Oakland too.

I blame the Yankees, on Steinbrenner. He's done nothing but hurt this team. The Boone trade has hurt the Yankees in the future. He's caused all this distraction this year and more. Now he has drave away Zimmer, a great baseball guy. You would think he would relize whenever he's gotten involved in player moves the Yankees have lost. The Yankees built thier championship teams when he was suspended.

Congrats to the Marlins, they are a great team that was under-rated. I said before the series started that they worry me as a Yankee fan. They remined me alot of the Old-Yankees. If they can keep this team together the will be good for years to come.

But as a Yankee Fan this hurts worse than 2001. At least then you could say you lost one of the greatest World Series ever.

As a Yankee Fan, I'm questioning that. Giambi has done nothing here in the post-season, in fact he done nothing in the post-season in his career, he did nothing in Oakland too.

I blame the Yankees, on Steinbrenner. He's done nothing but hurt this team. The Boone trade has hurt the Yankees in the future. He's caused all this distraction this year and more. Now he has drave away Zimmer, a great baseball guy. You would think he would relize whenever he's gotten involved in player moves the Yankees have lost. The Yankees built thier championship teams when he was suspended.

Congrats to the Marlins, they are a great team that was under-rated. I said before the series started that they worry me as a Yankee fan. They remined me alot of the Old-Yankees. If they can keep this team together the will be good for years to come.

But as a Yankee Fan this hurts worse than 2001. At least then you could say you lost one of the greatest World Series ever.

what was that? the mighty yankees LOST?!?!

sorry, but  i take much glee in the yankees losing. Giambi sucks!

no hard feelings are meant by this post at all, just some friendly ribbing :)

The Danimal said:
Texas is the state that gave us George W. Bush and Sarah Palin. 'Nuff said.

George should have backed off of this team he made life very hard for them all year, the fact they wnet to the World Serie sthis year was almost inspit of George not one of their deals helped this team this year. Other then his HR vs Red Sox Boone did nothing.

The only question rmeiang now what will George do next I can envision him doing allot of stupid things like chasing off Torre, trading Soriano and possiblly making life hard for Giambi. I coudl defintley see a repeat of what he did to Winfield after the 1981 Series, happening to Giambi.

Even if he was gutless for ntot playing in Game 5 he dont deserve taht.

ecyclopedia.gif

champssigtank.png

They came close, but close isn't a championship.

I never thought I would have seen the florida marlins as World Champions again, and to top it all off, they have never lost a playoff series. Not bad for a team that hasn't been around that long

Giambi's knee is not that bad he only needs atro surgery thats nothing. In the World Series you got to go the extra mile and Giambi didnt thats why the Yankees lost.

Haha, you obviously never had knee surgery.

I have.

It sucks. BAD. The pain, the inability to walk for weeks, the pain, the difficulty with the cast, and oh yeah, the pain.

People start to see injuries as numbers on a sheet. They are extreme pain and one injury can cause the entire body out of wack.

And, as an EXPOS fan, I'm wondering how the hell the Marlins made it, owned by satan, JEFF LORIA.  I'm going for the Yankees......

The only question rmeiang now what will George do next I can envision him doing allot of stupid things like chasing off Torre, trading Soriano and possiblly making life hard for Giambi. I coudl defintley see a repeat of what he did to Winfield after the 1981 Series, happening to Giambi.

Even if he was gutless for ntot playing in Game 5 he dont deserve taht.

Well, I think you're about making life harder. But I also think trading Soriano for pitching and patient hitter, Would be a good move. It's been 3 years now and he still has not learned how to play fundamentally. Unfortunatly George will trade him for a big star player which the Yanks don't need. They need to build this team like the old ones, with a bunch of role players and no big star.

Archived